AVIC411.com

VW guys with CAN get the Connect2 Adapter

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so i bought one of these for my nice new Tiguan. It is much cheaper then the PAC stuff and has a lot less wires. the VSS reverse and brake wires were right there. If you have steering wheel controls you get volume source and seek up and down.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /8653.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /8692.html

those would be the 2 items that you need. the only thing it can not do yet is the bluetooth through the control on the steering wheel.

Help please:

Which one of the above products do I need to install the F900 into my 2007 Passat? It does not have steering controls. Do you have to buy both? Regards, Matt

Is there a programming phase of the installation for the steering wheel controls on the Connects2 piece? Or does it work as they did from the factory?

No programming or learning involved.

There is some learning needed. Quoting the manual:

a) Connect the permanent 12V, ground and the two CAN wires to the correct wires in the vehicle.

B) Switch the ignition on to the accessory position.

c) The bi-colour LED should flash red while the interface is checking the CAN configuration of the vehicle.

d) Once the interface has found the correct configuration the bi-colour LED will permanently illuminate green.

e) The interface will only search for the correct configuration for one minute. After this time, searching will stop.

f)lf the vehicle is supported, the correct configuration will normally be found within fifteen seconds of the CAN network being active.

Just buy this:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... 2R_VW.html

Zero issues and as plug and play as you can get.

That unit does not provide steering wheel controls. The Connects2 does everything this unit does, but in a much smaller package, plus it provides the steering wheel controls - all for the same price.

Now, which one makes more sense to buy?

Right - received the Connects2 system today with the Canbus adaptor. Re installed the F900 into my Passat and wired up as per instructions. The Connects2 found the CanBus no problem and the LED tit up green. I then connected the Pioneer/ ISO harness (What a long harness you end up with!!). Everything works ok - apart from the power side - I find that when you put take the key out of the ignition - the unit shuts off and powers down completely. Is this correct - or should the unit stay on without the ignition. Also silly question - can you turn the unit off when the igition is on - ie off the menus etc?

Went out tonight when dark and the unit display had gone into a different colour mode - is this the canbus adaptor doing its job with the auto lights mode?

Also the Bluetooth works well - but cannot seem to upload my contacts (Nokia 6300) - it seems to sit for ages to upload.

Finally the radio reception had some background interferance - With my original fakra connections I had 2 plugs to choose from (White) or (Beige) - I chose the beige connection to fit the adaptor to - is this correct?

Regards, Matt :)

There is some learning needed. Quoting the manual:

Right, but there is no active user input or reprogramming of bus controlers required, it's plug and play -)

Pity the connnects2 doesn't identify the the AVIC on the VW multi functional display. I wouldn't mind seeing Pioneer AVIC in stead of 'active' in the display. And how about this for a project list... get the AVIC and a CAN interface to display navigational info on the MFD... well, keep on dreaming... the problems are endless, find out what (even if) you can get the AVIC to send to the CAN bus, find or build a two way CAN interface (Rosstech VAGCOM?), talk in different CAN dialects to get the correct pictogram in the display and so on. You won't be going to the bar for a while -)

Everything works ok - apart from the power side - I find that when you put take the key out of the ignition - the unit shuts off and powers down completely. Is this correct -

What happens after removing the key (and which sections of the power supply shut down when) might also be influenced by other Acc's installed and the programming of the VW comfort module - for instance, you have the window controls powered and operated from the remote when locking the doors etc. Anyhow, your system response (remove key=shutdown F900) is comparable to my observations and logically correct, assuming that removing the key means you are leaving the car.

Went out tonight when dark and the unit display had gone into a different colour mode - is this the canbus adaptor doing its job with the auto lights mode?

yes and easily checked by taking the light controls out of 'auto mode' (ie manualy switch on your headlights in broad daylight switches the AVIC from day to night colours)

EDIT : forgot to engage brain before putting vingers into gear. The day/night color switch is 'automatic' according to the manual - could be some worldclock related almanac, and the CAN interface dimms the AVIC backlight with lights switched on

Also the Bluetooth works well - but cannot seem to upload my contacts (Nokia 6300) - it seems to sit for ages to upload.

Not related to the CAN interface, but BT sync is a very hit and/or miss affaire, depending on operating systems (my HTC TyTNII for instance would only sync after updating the OS form WM6 to WM6.1, introducing yet other problems in the - multiple - desktop sync I was using on work and home computer) and driver versions. After the ROM update it still took several attempts to get the sync working. The 6300 is on the Pioneer (EU) compatability list, so you should be able to get it going!

Finally the radio reception had some background interferance - With my original fakra connections I had 2 plugs to choose from (White) or (Beige) - I chose the beige connection to fit the adaptor to - is this correct?

Again, no relation to the CAN. After experiencing very poor FM radio reception, that couldn't be resolved by the dealer, I found thet the antenna phantom power supply interface used by the installer (the same dealer by the way) had a very crummy antenna connector that did not connect properly to the F900BT. Central pin to thin? and it also interfered with a plastic ridge in the VW radio bay. I replaced the antenna interface and removed some plastic from the bay and this solved the problem. On that occasion I also found the 2 fakra connectors, tried them both with no immidiate difference on the signal level and also went for the beige. I am still waiting on the respons from the dealer about the difference in the two connectors, but from what I found on the net it might be related to either diversity antenna (there are two thin wires visible in the front windscreen) and/or TMC reception on standard VW radio's requiring two antenna inputs.

Thanks Skippy2,

Pretty much all resolved now. Sat down today - removed the wiring install and had a good look at everything. Figured out that I had been following the wrong instructions on the Connects2 diagram (Canbus loom versus Cano1 type). So re connected everything properly- including the reverse sensor and parking brake to ground on the loom. Tie wrapped it all up and also did a neat install for the USB into my Arm Rest Cubby :D . Re connected the HU and what do you know - it all works.

With regards to removing the key - you are right this is something that I am going to hopefully resolve via VAGCOM when a friend sorts out a few mods :wink:

The Arial is still a bit hit and miss - trying the White Fakra now seems better - might be my imagination though. One wire that I didnt connect on the arial was a blue wire. This is part of the Fakra > Arial aftermarket adaptor supplied with the VW install kit, it comes out of a silver cylinder which the arial wire/ coax passes through. Is this meant to be powered up as a stabiliser/ interferance removal tool?

Regards, Matt

One wire that I didnt connect on the arial was a blue wire. This is part of the Fakra > Arial aftermarket adaptor supplied with the VW install kit, it comes out of a silver cylinder which the arial wire/ coax passes through. Is this meant to be powered up as a stabiliser/ interferance removal tool?

OK, that is a very good explanation for the poor performance! The VW factory installed antenna is an active antenna, it has a clever bit of electronics - call it a signal amplifier, for want of a better word- attached. Although I know from experience that most electronics run on blue smoke (if it gets out the thing stops working), in this case it has to have a 12 Volt power input. One way to get that power supply up to the active antenna is to use a phantom power supply, that basically allows you to use the same coax cable that carries the signal form the antenna to the radio. The silver cylinder is the way to get power up to the arial, so you need to connect that blue wire to a 12 Volt, either by using the arial power out from the AVIC (remember to check the setting for that output, and read up on the amps restriction in the installation manual) or use one of the ACC power cables to the AVIC.

Enjoy your radio reception!

• 3 weeks later...