AVIC411.com

Internet, streaming audio, google maps, etc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the version information

The cab file itself does not seem to contain any system file that it replaces. But it still not gurantee that the software would not change any registry settings after it starts up (or as part of initial configuration).

Unfortunately most of the emulators available do not emulate bluetooth so it is not possible to test this on an emulator.

I will keep researching this.

I am going to try installing the cab this afternoon.

Even if the cab file ends up overwriting system files a hard-reset should bring it back to life.

It cannot really mess with ROM.

I am hoping that the OS is installed on a ROM and not nand flash.

I bought a bluetooth adapter from ebay for about $20 and wired it in with RCA's to one of the rear inputs (well, specifically mine is run through an AV switchbox and then into AV2). The bluetooth adapter works in stereo, so when I get into the car my phone connects and I can then stream Pandora for free.

I don't use bluetooth on the radio itself very often... here and there but it increases the boot time long enough that I don't leave it on by default. I'd tolerate it if it were faster, but for $20 I have a better solution that works just as well and doesn't require any real guess work. :)

Going in to my AV switch box is Digital TV, iPod video, Playstation2, rear camera or this bluetooth adapter. Obviously only one works at a time, but it also allows me to split video into the headunit (to get audio) and into the rear display that hangs from the ceiling. This gives me the functionality that I lost when going away from the stock unit.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay guys.

I had to postpone the install till i get back from my trip this long weekend. In the mean time i got all the dev tools installed on my machine to be ready.

Also, I noticed that Avic seems to support USB host mode (given that the ipod works with it).

Windows CE natively support USB client mode, which is what it uses to communicate with a PC.

1. If we can figure out how to force it into a USB host mode and then plug in the devices, we might be able to get the phone and other wireless adapaters detected. Driver installation is the next step.

2. I need to also build a USB cable that has type A connector on both sides so we can plug in a PC. This will potentially allow us to use a windows mobile phone for internet connection.

Thanks for the mio links above, I will read through them.

I knew that it was not going to be easy.

It seems we do not have the same configuration screens create a bluetooth modem. There is an existing one called "BT_DUN" but it does not really connect to anything.

Installing a custom BT stack will give us a lot of things.

May be someone already has information on things i am looking for.

1. Is there a deivce mager we can download for use on "windows CE 5.0. I did see a screenshot of it on MSDN but could not find it anywhere.

2. Does hard reset really set everything(Excluding My Flash Disk) back to the way it was ?

thanks

ravic

Also, There is a USB select switch applet in the control panel. It seems to allow one to switch the USB mode.

I tried to change the mode but could not notice any difference.

One of the options in there is "RNDIS" which would really work with "Internet Sharing" in windows mobile phones. But when i connected my HTC diamond to it and then change the mode it does not appear to talk to the phone.

I could not find much info on USB select switch when i googled it.

It appears that the bluetooth device is not a device installed on the windows CE side.

It appears to be part of the other circuit board which contains the amp, fm, dvd etc. On the windows CE side, they just seem to have the control software installed and it seems to control the bluetooth module with special pioneer APIs.

So what this really means is that there is no way to use this bluetooth connection for windows CE internet access even after installing a 3rd party bluetooth stack or software.

Now we still have two other means to get internet going.

1. Using a SDIO wireless card. This seems to work with lots of GPS units running on windows CE. Spectec SDW-820 appears to be most popular

2. Using USB. Either via Activesync or through usb wifi card.

SDIO wifi card seems to be easiest.

Does anyone have a wireless card to try this our. I downloaded a wireless driver that was supposed to work in the windows CE environment.

Not sure if this really helps at all towards this thread. Rather then linking via bluetooth go USB. There is an interenet sharing application in most windows mobile phones, you often must find it and create a shortcut to use it, the application lets you share the data cannection from your phone to other devices via Bluetooth or USB connection. if you have a data plan you can tether your phone to share/use the internet connection with other devices in essence turning it into a wireless router or modem. I've done this with my phone and laptop via USB the result is pretty decent data speed, however I lose the ability to use the phone while connected via usb all calls go straight to voicemail. I've not tried it via Bluetooth as i was running low on power and the usb connection was more battery friendly, though it sounds like it might not work due to avic hardware configuration anyways.

The Avic would certainly need a web browser that is setup with on screen keyboard text entry method to be used in this fashion.

There's a program for a mobile phone (running Windows Mobile) to connect to a Windows CE device to do ICS over USB? I don't know about that. Bluetooth ICS is much easier. Just throw the phone in the center console or glovebox, and be done with it. If your phone gets crappy batter life, do my USB-power glovebox mod and just plug your phone in. That also leaves the AVIC's USB port free to plug in a hard drive.