AVIC411.com

Idea for a new mod..."Police Detector"

I was driving around today and was thinking about the speed cam mod that I have on my unit and that made me think that MAYBE someone could make a "police detector" sort of thing. I have absolutely no idea how the speed cam mod works so maybe this idea is completely worthless but I think it would be awesome if it could be done. Any ideas?

-Brian

Ok, but I'm still wondering if this is possible? It would be nice to be able to know when there is a police officer a block away looking for anyone who happens to be going a little fast. Does anyone know if this could be done?

-Brian

I think the speed cam is about all you need. All you need is POIs for speedcam warnings in the usual speed trap locations and you're fine.

that would be nice if there would be any proper speedcam POI databases for belgium.

i think what OP means is a kind of radar detector. which would be pretty neat, but illegal in alot of places............

Ok, I thought that somehow the speed cams were being detected and I thought that maybe the same could be done with with cops. Oh well...

Just cross reference to the POIs for donut and coffee shops to speedcams..

(j/k.. thanks to all our law enforcement officers for keeping the neighborhoods safe)

Ok, I thought that somehow the speed cams were being detected and I thought that maybe the same could be done with with cops. Oh well...

Speed camera are not being detected. The GPS system just alerts you to a POI list that someone compiled of all the speedcams.

If municipality installs new cameras, someone, you, will have to update POI!!!!!

Hey Boots,

to explain to you in detail. The speedcams are KNOWN location that are set and don't move around and that data is uploaded into your POI into your gps.

the police detector, if that existed, i would pay thousands of dollars for it to have it. a radar detector is good, but it detects RADAR not police. so a cop car could drive around w/o the radar on and you would never know.

just think about how much this would be worth it to have a POLICE detector. u could do WHATEVER you want in a certain area you know for sure is no cop in sight.

bottom line, such mod is IMPOSSIBLE. trust me!

When I was younger I was thinking it would be cool to have a RF tower setup (or piggy back off of existing cell/radio antennas) to detect and triangulate radios operating on specific frequency. ie police RF bands. Then overlay the triangulated positions on a map ie a Navi. But seeing how radar detectors are illegal in several places there is no way such a device would fly nor would I want most other people having such a thing.

The other thing about the ticket cameras is some here in NM are mobile, they are mounted in a van.

I have thought about the triangulation method, and actually experimented with using a strength of signal method to determine radio proximity to my relative location. It actually works, but the limitations are huge...first and formost, by detecting radio signals, the radio you are looking for must be broadcasting (as in if the officer in the car is not the one TALKING on the radio they dont show up), the other part that you cant account for when it comes to relitive proximity is latency generated from surounding buildings, terrain, or other electrical interferance.

Now...on another thought...granted not all agencies are capable, but some can track their cars location...intercept that signal and the fun could begin.

I thought it was only illegal if you got caught....kind of like hitting the OK button before I watch video while driving.

You might be able to use that Phantom Alert if you have leetcoder's "LeetLauncher 3.0" installed on your HU since this program only work with Garmin, TomTom & Magellan. Seems like a pretty good program though.

You might be able to use that Phantom Alert if you have leetcoder's "LeetLauncher 3.0" installed on your HU since this program only work with Garmin, TomTom & Magellan. Seems like a pretty good program though.

They do offer database formats that can be loaded into iGO though...

I have thought about the triangulation method, and actually experimented with using a strength of signal method to determine radio proximity to my relative location. It actually works, but the limitations are huge...first and formost, by detecting radio signals, the radio you are looking for must be broadcasting (as in if the officer in the car is not the one TALKING on the radio they dont show up), the other part that you cant account for when it comes to relitive proximity is latency generated from surounding buildings, terrain, or other electrical interferance.

Now...on another thought...granted not all agencies are capable, but some can track their cars location...intercept that signal and the fun could begin.

I thought it was only illegal if you got caught....kind of like hitting the OK button before I watch video while driving.

Oh ya. I know it would not be easy hence why I did not go forward with it. But I was thinking you could probably look for the signal there computers use. I would imagine those talk quite often. And yes, your other idea does sound interesting.