AVIC411.com

Loyal Pioneer fan let down after 15 years

I have been a fan of Pioneer since I started driving 15 plus years ago but they are starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth with the Avic F series nav systems. The first one I installed in my car had a problem with the bluetooth, nobody could hear me. I swapped out mic's but that didn't fix the problem. I sent the stereo back to my vendor and he sent me a new one. The bluetooth on the new one was better than the first but still nowhere near the quality of other systems I install for a living. Then after a couple weeks my F series just won't boot anymore, I tried everything to get it booted including reloading the 2.0 software. When I finally called my vendor to have it replaced he tells me that the F series is discontinued and that I would have to send my 3 week old radio in to have it repaired. So I call Pioneer the other day and get the standard "did you mod the radio in any way" question to which I replied "NOT AT ALL", I even have the parking brake wire hooked up to the parking break. So then he tells me to send it to them and it might take up to a month to repair. I then ask him if they can't fix the radio and replace it that I would like my custom aluminum knob off my old radio and he says he can't gaurantee that. I am to the point now that I may just call my vendor and tell them that I don't want the radio and I want credit or a refund. I mean I am 0 for 2 with this unit and now that are going to repair it? With my luck it will last just long enough for the warranty to run out and then die again. Sorry to vent hear but I am very frustrated right now, just the thought of taking my dash all aprt again to remove the radio that might not be back for a month makes me sick.

My unit (F90) kept continuously rebooting and needed to be sent in for repair. It sucked having that huge whole in the dash and no music in the car for six weeks. It got repaired and been working ok for the last two weeks. Even with the 2.0 update the performance is sluggish compared to all others. This is what I get for using a product that utilizes crap from Microsoft.

F series is POS, case closed.

Emu-destroyer has a time bomb... it'll reveal itself soon

You know, just because you can't get it to work, doesn't mean no one can...

LOL, Boris, listen to yourself --

what's there to get to work? This isn't a crossword puzzle... Either it works out of the box or it doesn't... you guys crack me up, LOL

what's there to get to work? This isn't a crossword puzzle... Either it works out of the box or it doesn't... you guys crack me up, LOL

Well, mine works, both stock and with all my mods, so where's the problem? :roll:

Well, mine works, both stock and with all my mods, so where's the problem? :roll:

Well mine does not work correctly, so he isn't alone.

Bluetooth freezes and won't disconnect. Unit crashes and reboots randomly. Its slow and sluggish. The Pioneer ipod cable is garbage, and I had to replace it if i want to hear both left and right channels. The SD card is absurdly slow. If you cant get voice recognition to work (or don't want to have to wait a minute for the VR to complete), then trying to access the music you want is painstaking and even dangerous.

I could go on, but no need to.

I was just informed today that I will be getting a REFERB radio in the place of my 3 week old radio that I sent in. I am not happy at all and I feel real sorry for the customers I have sold this radio to. It baffles my mind that after buying and selling Pionner for over 15 years that they refuse to give a credit for a def radio and will send a refurbished radio in its place. If there is one mark on the refurb radio or doesn't operate PERFECTLY I will be contacting the BBB and getting my money back for sure. This is by far the most frustrating problem I have had in a long time.

Well, Boris, so long as it works for you, there isn't a problem -- the rest of the people on here with defective Avic's are just flukes, or their ignorance with technology -- they should know how to correct a frozen Avic or an avic that keeps rebooting -- right Boris? Gotcha.

There's no problem here! I'm lovin' my kenwoods and got rid of my Avic's REAL early on (thanks to 6ave.com - who actually told me yeah, we get a lot of those back as returns).

Thanks Boris for the clarity.

Well, Boris, so long as it works for you, there isn't a problem -- the rest of the people on here with defective Avic's are just flukes, or their ignorance with technology -- they should know how to correct a frozen Avic or an avic that keeps rebooting -- right Boris? Gotcha.

There's no problem here! I'm lovin' my kenwoods and got rid of my Avic's REAL early on (thanks to 6ave.com - who actually told me yeah, we get a lot of those back as returns).

Thanks Boris for the clarity.

Yeah local installer had a nice smirk on his face when I mentioned I had an AVIC-F. He told me his customers had their share of problems, and one girl in particular was really pissed off about it.

A very big installer in Austin too, not my neighbor or anything. I am not imagining the quality problems on this unit, as some here would like me to believe.

Hey there Raydee, i totally understand where you come from. I've been a Pioneer fan for over 10 years. I remember the first Radio i put into my car was a Pioneer. I think the problem with the F-Series is that it came to market way too fast to compete with other manufactures. There should of been more testing with the unit before it was ever released. But with the D-Series being so popular and needing an update, they rushed into releasing the F-Series before all the bugs could be fixed and worked out. If you really think about the design and concept of the unit, it's really great when it works. However, most of us have some type of problems.

From most of the stories i've heard, it all has to do with software related issues. I mean, i understand that this is a new frontier, where do you really find someone to write a program or software specific for GPS, Radio, Entertainment. It's really no excuse, but i think Pioneer has been doing an decent job at damage control.

Specifically with your unit, i wouldn't accept a refurb. With most electronics, you really can't trust a refurb, ideally it's suppose to be a defect that was sent back to the manufacturer and was refurb with new parts and working correctly. (However, since it's not a new product, and had parts replaced, by law they cannot sell it as new). Usually Pioneer Refurbs come with a 90 day warranty. But since your originally unit was less then a year old, it should carry the full remaining year left. I would definitely check up on that.

At the end of the day, it's about two things. How a company designs a product, and how well they stand behind it.