AVIC411.com

MP3 players and using AUX

I have had my Avic Z1 for about 6 months and i can not use my mp3 player. On my stock radio, there was an aux that i would just connect it to in the front but the avic does not have this feature? is there anyway i can hook the old aux up? I have the Scion TC if that gives you any desciption to what i am talking about. i have went though alot of posts and nothing really is helping.
[quote name="Joculardude1"]I have had my Avic Z1 for about 6 months and i can not use my mp3 player. On my stock radio, there was an aux that i would just connect it to in the front but the avic does not have this feature? is there anyway i can hook the old aux up? I have the Scion TC if that gives you any desciption to what i am talking about. i have went though alot of posts and nothing really is helping.[/quote]

The avic does not have an aux port on the front of the unit, but it does have an aux input in the back (with video also I believe).

I'm not sure of your Scion TC, but I am assuming that there was a seperate headphone jack not on the radio but somewhere in your car that you used to plug into. You can use that if you can find the wires where they came out by the radio, just take those and plug them into the aux input of the Z1. It won't switch automatically, but it would work.

You can also get an IP bus aux input for the Z1, it won't have a video component like the built in Aux does, but you don't have to use the video.
Yea, i was looking on the back and couldnt find the aux, it would just say a/v input. You are right about the aux plug in the scion, and i still have the wires but they are hooked up with a lot of other wires that use to connect to my old equipment. should i clip them and insert them into someone on the port to the z1?
You can just go to Radio Shack or a similar store and by a headphone to Stereo RCA splitter for like $5-$10. Then plug in the red and white RCA cables to the A/V input on the Z1, turn on the A/V input in the menu (initial or settings, can't remember), and you are all set. Each time you want to use your mp3 player, just plug in the cable to the headphone jack and source the Z1 to A/V
Check your installation manual, page 18 has the AV input info.

And I agree with whtcrxghst, but the splitter he is mentioning would make it so you plug into that thing, not the receptacle in your dash.

You would want RCA cables, and you would want to figure out what the plug in your dash connects to, and make an interface. Clip into those wires back there, or cut them off (if you want) and make an adapter from those wires to RCA and then you can plug right into the dash for the mp3 player and hit AV input on the Z1 and you should be good to go.
[quote name="Joculardude1"]Ok, so when i use my mp3 player do i push aux on the z1 or input?[/quote]

Well on the back of the Z1 there is an AV Input, if you plug right into that, then you would press AV Input. If you purchased an IP-BUS-RCA Interconnector such as the CDRB20

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hqGGhCnjVxe/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=130CDRB20]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hqGGhCnjVx ... =130CDRB20[/url]

or the CDRB10

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-18P5H7qSXmQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=251650&I=130CDRB10]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-18P5H7qSXm ... =130CDRB10[/url]

either of those would be AUX. The difference between these 2? I'm not 100% sure, but with the IP bus, the 10 is the last thing in the chain and you can't have a cd changer. With the 20 you can still daisy chain more devices after this one.

With the AV Input, you would not have the V part of the AV (no video) so the screen would be blank, and it might warn you about not watching video while moving. I have not tried this so I don't know. You might be better off buying an IP bus to RCA adapter.
You're correct on the difference between the CDRB10/20, the 20 just has a P-bus pass-through. If you decide to go the A/V input route, it will just display a blue screen while listening to your mp3 player, but I switch mine to the map because I get sick of looking at the blue screen. And all you will have to do on the Z1 is change the source to AUX or A/V depending on which you choose to do

[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Joculardude1"]Ok, so when i use my mp3 player do i push aux on the z1 or input?[/quote]

Well on the back of the Z1 there is an AV Input, if you plug right into that, then you would press AV Input. If you purchased an IP-BUS-RCA Interconnector such as the CDRB20

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hqGGhCnjVxe/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=130CDRB20]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hqGGhCnjVx ... =130CDRB20[/url]

or the CDRB10

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-18P5H7qSXmQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=251650&I=130CDRB10]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-18P5H7qSXm ... =130CDRB10[/url]

either of those would be AUX. The difference between these 2? I'm not 100% sure, but with the IP bus, the 10 is the last thing in the chain and you can't have a cd changer. With the 20 you can still daisy chain more devices after this one.

With the AV Input, you would not have the V part of the AV (no video) so the screen would be blank, and it might warn you about not watching video while moving. I have not tried this so I don't know. You might be better off buying an IP bus to RCA adapter.[/quote]
  • 7 months later...

ok i Have read all of this i am in the same boat MP3 player and i have one of those adapters that has a male 3.5mm headphone plug to goidrect to my mp3 and it converts to RCA and they are plugged into the Audio Input in the RCA connector number 1 however i have try turning them both on AUX and A/V and nether one would work with that cord so before you get all cutting and everything just know it doesnt work Unless my radio is messed up but its brand new so i dont know....

i was going to order the cd-rb10 cause i dont know if there something it needs to code or encode or if the ip bus makes a diffrence or whatever, However i have XM Navtraffic and the IP-Bus where the CDRB10 plus in had a IPBUS already from the XM. The question is can i plus the CDRB10 into the Input IPBUS of the NAVTraffic or would it stop the mp3 as well or if i could figure out a way to get music from my computer to my radio without burning a cd every time then that would work also ANY advice would be appriciated sp?

Thanks Newbie to the Z1

Hey maybe this will help. I connected my mp3 player thru my aux connection on the back of the Avic Z2 with a RCA cable which converts to a 3.5 mm male audio cable it works fine. You may get a slight engine noise but other than that it works great. (RCA to Audio can be purchased at any local Radio Shack)

• 2 weeks later...

The guy at Circuit City hooked up an RCA to minijack cable to the audio L +R of the AV input, and it works fine for me, although I think I will look into getting the CDRB20 in the future so my screen doesn't go blank while I listen to my MP3 player.

The guy at Circuit City hooked up an RCA to minijack cable to the audio L +R of the AV input, and it works fine for me, although I think I will look into getting the CDRB20 in the future so my screen doesn't go blank while I listen to my MP3 player.

Update: My husband bought me the CDRB10 as an early birthday gift, and I hooked it up to the IP Bus port on my SIR-PNR2. I was going to get the CDRB20, but the only reason to get that would be if I wanted to add a CD changer later on, and I really couldn't see a reason for that - if and when I buy CDs anymore, I just rip them to my computer and load them on my Zen Vision M anyway - I don't really listen to CDs in the car anymore. Anyway, all I did was plug up the CDRB10, connect my RCA to minijack cable, and that's it - the Z2 saw the Aux input and it works great, and unlike the AV input, I no longer get the annoying message about watching video while driving.