AVIC411.com

OBDII/Dash/Car stats / possible programs?

I can not believe some of you have not yet realized that the problem is not in the program or device, but how to connect that device to F900BT ... The only question is whether via USB, Bluetooth or maybe wireless

Could you enlighten me how it's not possible to use a ELM OBD2 to usb converter w/ the appropriate ce drivers/etc? I must be missing something.

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31066_7-10390928-267.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave could be ported to our unit?

Nope, our units don't have a full Bluetooth stack, just a neutered one custom made by Parrot that only provides hands-free and serial port profiles. If we can figure out how to hack the USB to accept one of the USB bluetooth dongles w/ a CSR radio and manage to get a configuration interface working, general devices like these might be an option...

so I was looking for exactly what you guys are talking about!

except all I want is the gauges, no fancy controlled retune programs

instead of buying 3-4 gauges to know what is happening, I could just pop the gauge up on my unit, it would be awsome and I could save a lot of $$$!!!

the ecu can tell you how much gas is left, how much you are consuming etc... I wanted to buy a cluster which had that option (without the gauge boost, air/fuel, oil, etc...) in europe for tdi's but it looks like a pain in the A$$ to wire and get to function properly, without even counting the fact that it costs a lot...

so what is the news? could it be possible? I am sure it could... If we can make our laptops read anything on our cars using an obII - usb cable, i am sure our unit could read it, also via usb

VW owners here all know of the vag-com program which does wonders! but I would like to leave the laptop at home and just use the unit! make some app in it etc...

I am sure it's doable... anyone here has any news?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I might possibly be able to help on this one.

I have an F900BT running 3.02 and i also have vag-com software and also a USB-VAG serial lead.

Vag-Com is VW software for looking at fault codes but it can also tell you lots of things like speed etc.

Im willing to try this. Looking at the drivers list for my lead it looks like there might be a windows CE driver.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

The only thing now would be to get the software working on the avic. Whats the best way to do this.

You'll likely need to use MortScript to help copy the FTDI driver DLL and .ini to \Windows and install the registry entries they outline in the "INF Files/registry settings.txt" file inside the driver. You should be able to call this script when the system starts up each time so driver.exe knows how to bind the driver to the USB device when detected. Once that's done and the FTDI chip's virtual COM port is available, it's a matter of getting the VAG-COM software working in the WinCE environment. I'm not sure if Ross-Tech ported the software to WinCE or not, I've only ever seen it on a Windows XP box. I've got a OBD-Link (next gen ElmScan dongle) that uses an FTDI chip too, been looking at the source for Scantool.Net to see if it would be relatively easy to port to WinCE...

You'll likely need to use MortScript to help copy the FTDI driver DLL and .ini to \Windows and install the registry entries they outline in the "INF Files/registry settings.txt" file inside the driver. You should be able to call this script when the system starts up each time so driver.exe knows how to bind the driver to the USB device when detected. Once that's done and the FTDI chip's virtual COM port is available, it's a matter of getting the VAG-COM software working in the WinCE environment. I'm not sure if Ross-Tech ported the software to WinCE or not, I've only ever seen it on a Windows XP box. I've got a OBD-Link (next gen ElmScan dongle) that uses an FTDI chip too, been looking at the source for Scantool.Net to see if it would be relatively easy to port to WinCE...

Please "yell" people if someone manage to get this thing working, so we have just a little hope :)

So we cant just use the windows CE 5.0 version of the driver then?

Haven't tested it yet but I'm pretty sure we can use their driver. The "install" process has to be redone every time we reboot the system though. This is due to the fact that the DLL, .ini and registry entries are not part of Pioneer's WINCE.BIN image, so it's not in \Windows after the reboot and must be copied off the flash drive as part of a scripted startup process.

Vag-Com is not on windows CE, They have never ported it so we are stuffed there.

For now, anyway.

How about running a virtual machine on CE, Or am i pissing into the wind here.... :lol:

Hmmm, not aware of any virtual machine monitors designed for CE since the ARM/OMAP cores CE runs on might be a tad underpowered for the task. Now if VAG-COM was a .Net app, maybe using the .Net micro framework on the AVIC would let you run it.