AVIC411.com

New Pioneer map/software update

The pioneer rep keeps beating around the bush. This is what she had to say;

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

The map update will include the firmware update.

Thank You,

Kathy

Customer Service Representative

--Original Message--

Date: 06/11/09

To: customer.support@pioneerservice.com

Subject: Re: Feature and Specification|A00001|2142936585 [#1252747]

Is the map update or firmware update scheduled for release late summer, early Fall? Or will it be both? The answer provided was not very detailed.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents,

Not sure if this helps anything at all, but I called cust support today to ask about feature capabilities in regards to the Sirius section, the date of the maps, as well as a couple of Bluetooth questions on my brand new f90.

The rep on the phone said that a major firmware update will be coming to the support people in July. This will be in conjunction with the launch of the new products. I asked if this firmware would be backwards compatible to the f90 I just purchased, and he said yes. He said even though they'd be getting stuff in July, he couldn't say yet when the new firmware update would be avail to the public. He did reassure me that my f90 would still be supported with new updates even with the new models coming out. He did say that the update expected to be a massive upgrade.

Hopefully his claims will be correct and not just telling me what I wanted to hear! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed...as I'm looking for new functions in everything that hasn't been modded on here, i.e. all the non-nav stuff. Like, give me the dial paid during a phone call, better EQ capabilities, and better sat radio support.

Cheers!

The pioneer rep keeps beating around the bush. This is what she had to say;

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

The map update will include the firmware update.

Thank You,

Kathy

Customer Service Representative

--Original Message--

Date: 06/11/09

To: customer.support@pioneerservice.com

Subject: Re: Feature and Specification|A00001|2142936585 [#1252747]

Is the map update or firmware update scheduled for release late summer, early Fall? Or will it be both? The answer provided was not very detailed.

That would be bad, 1) you have to pay for it 2) it only deals with the screen and the Nav, not with Bluetooth, contact lists and other bugs

i am optimistic about 3.0 since it is the same used for the new products. i think they prob did do a lot to fix the bugs with the unit so they don't have a f-series disaster repeat. It probably really hurt their sells so they probably won't do it again. anyone else think the 3.0 will be significant?

I am pretty much hanging on to my f700 waiting for 3.0, I like it but the long boot time and the buggy bluetooth, and the voice commands that do not work. I am hoping 3.0 can make an improvement otherwise I am going back to alpine, it wasnt as feature rich but what was there, worked.

I havent visited here in a while, but even after the long wait to the fall, it is promising to hear that Pioneer is still supporting the unit with major updates. No matter how late they are. IGO 8.3 and new maps is definitely worth $100. Any speedup of the system is an added bonus with update 3.0

Here in Australia we were given a free offer of a map update that is due in August 2009 when we purchased the F900BT. I still have the form here in PDF format.

Copied directly:

Buy a Pioneer AVIC-F500BT or AVIC-F900BT navigation unit between 15th November 2008 and 31st July 2009 or until stocks run out and receive the 2009 Map Upgrade FREE.To redeem this offer, send in this redemption form with your proof of purchase to Pioneer P.O. Box 295, Mordialloc, Victoria 3195 before 31st August 2009.Your details will be entered into our FREE Map Upgrade Database. When we receive the Upgrade in August 2009, we will send it out to you. This release date is subject to change.

Here in Australia we were given a free offer of a map update that is due in August 2009 when we purchased the F900BT. I still have the form here in PDF format.

Copied directly:

Buy a Pioneer AVIC-F500BT or AVIC-F900BT navigation unit between 15th November 2008 and 31st July 2009 or until stocks run out and receive the 2009 Map Upgrade FREE.To redeem this offer, send in this redemption form with your proof of purchase to Pioneer P.O. Box 295, Mordialloc, Victoria 3195 before 31st August 2009.Your details will be entered into our FREE Map Upgrade Database. When we receive the Upgrade in August 2009, we will send it out to you. This release date is subject to change.

UK users got a free iPod Touch under a simalar promotion. Prefered that.

how much more can the maps be upgraded/improved? is there that many changes in a couple years?

i hope the update also fixes the bugs with the msn direct taking forever to load or give accurate info, if so ill buy the suscription

It is not so much the Maps, it is the Firmware and new Navi software that comes with the Map Update.

And Yes: Here in Europe a couple of years make a huge difference: One way streets change direction, Streets get converted into pedestrian areas or complete new highways get constructed to avoid urban areas.

I had the chance to look at the 2009.02 maps and in my area they make a huge difference to the stock maps

Jörg

I agree with that, the maps aren't a problem, I'm already running the newest ones, but igo 8.3 is much nicer then 8.0, although 8.3 is buggy too, for example it crashes when navigating on kml poi.

I emailed pioneer benelux, they responded that the update is expected end of june/beginning of july, they don't know a price yet, that is to be determined. And if a want a free update or a discount they can't help me, i should go to my retailer... Yeah right...

I'm so frustrated to see an industry giant pioneer is playing the usual dirty market tricks on people. I baught my F900BT winter 2008 from UK for a big 600£. Then I watched my waste of money through aging maps, EU units lacking voice commands, Sh..ty parrot bluetooth module not being able to connect to new phones, lagging screen key presses, jumpy radio preset, trimmed mp3 playing etc. etc.

Then I witnessed trying to get rid of their stocks by selling these crap units to more naive people through campaigns of Ipod touch, free installation, free maps etc. And their latest 2.0007 firmware is disabling the ability to manually boot into the drive through TEST Mode and update the maps.

To cuyt it short;

1- Pioneer has built buggy and faulty devices and we bought them

2- Unsold items are being dumped to other poor people

3- An update of IGO and a proper parrot bluetooth kit installed to the exact units with seperate circuit boards for audio and maps and they call this "The X series"

4-They kill the TEST mode through code to make sure people keep paying Pioneer for future updates. I wouldn't mind paying them if they were honest and fair but since they aren't I won't be either.

I'll be paying Leetcoder when his Launcher works fine with EU units since he has been more devoted and keen on making the AVIC owners happy with their unit and without charging a 600£ as Pioneer does.

The final verdict : See how Nokia has lost the market to Apple. Apple does not create different models every week but they concentrate on perfecting their units. Nokia disregards user complaints but Apple listens. Now the pioneer is falling into the same trick and I'll not be suprised to see them drawing back from car entertainment production as they have done with Kuro Plasmas.

Over & out.

3- An update of IGO and a proper parrot bluetooth kit installed to the exact units with seperate circuit boards for audio and maps and they call this "The X series"

Are they really different circuit boards?

From the X910 manual, this is the exact same damn hardware with iGo 8.3.

No A2DP, no pause iPod on incoming call.

Nothing else is different from my inspection.