AVIC411.com

updates for mapping on Z1 2007

[quote name="ducatiboy"]They have stated (in press released and such) that updates will be downloaded from the net, burned to CD and update by just putting the disk in the unit. So far no map updates are out and the most recent guesses I have heard were in early 2007.[/quote]

So does this mean we won't have to pay $250 like users had to for previous legitimate map upgrades?
I'm finding several discrepencies with my Z1 street listings in my area.
There are a few streets that have changed to one-way, or have been closed, or have been added, as much as 2 years ago, and they are not correct on the Z1. It's time for an update...

We can't update this information ourselves can we? I guess I could put in a "avoid" area for the one-way streets to avoid being guided the wrong way on a one-way street...

Whomever (me) wants updates probably should start writing to Pioneer to ask for them so they'll know they are wanted/needed.
  • 3 months later...
According to the dealer I got my Z1 from, the update will only be downloadable by dealers and the cost would be around the $250 range.

The time schedule is also supposed to be in the Mar-Apr timeframe.

And the updates are only to the mapping. No changes to the iPod interface will be in this update. :x

But there's been so many stories flying around about this update, what my dealer told me could be complete fiction.
Maybe until the update is released, you can turn on the tracking option.

It leaves "crumbs" on your traveled routes. So if you are a road that has not been created by the z1 yet, you will at least see the trail created by z1.

I think its under the maps tap, in the displayed info settings.
The maps for my area are so bad. I live in northern idaho, and some of the addresses that have been around for years show a block away on my unit.

I have dabbled in making my own gps maps, and even I could have done a better job than the junk Pioneer released with this unit.

Paying $250 for an update of already questionable content and accuracy is a lot for Pioneer to ask.
I think the maps for my area (Anchorage, Alaska) are even worse.

Not only were streets & POIs present for years missing, but I've made a couple of trips where the Z1 basically just threw up its hands and told me it didn't know how to direct me any more.

$250 is far too much to pay for updates that should have been way more accurate to begin with.

If Pioneer couldn't do navigation in Alaska right, they shouldn't have done it at all.