AVIC411.com

F Series vs. X Series

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jason

Im a little confuse here... so with the new 3.0 upgrade, would our F series have a display like the X's?? like having SIGN BOARD display? also would the 3.0 upgrade change the font like the new X's ( cuz your topic said that the upgrade would turn the F into the X). Thank you for the clarification

Hi Jason

Im a little confuse here... so with the new 3.0 upgrade, would our F series have a display like the X's?? like having SIGN BOARD display? also would the 3.0 upgrade change the font like the new X's ( cuz your topic said that the upgrade would turn the F into the X). Thank you for the clarification

The F series will become identical to the X series software wise. The only differences after the 3.0 update between F and X will be the faceplate/knob and the new Apple authentication chip from what I understand.

What is the Apple Authentication Chip for?

In the current F series (that doesn't have the chip), when you plug in your iPhone it states that it's not a compatible accessory and asks you if you want to place your phone in airplane mode. It's more of a slight annoyance really. If you answer "no" the iPhone (both 1G and 3G) work fine. Well... aside from needing a 3rd party dongle to properly charge the 3G.

So if I buy the 3.0 it'll be the same thing as having bought the Xseries? (besides the apple chip and face.)

Is this 100% given by Pioneer or is this what people are expecting to happen?

Also, if the software bypass is done pre-3.0, does this mean that the bypass won't work after i install the 3.0?

And if we can't re-hack with the 3.0 then the only way would be hardware bypass right?

I'm just scared about the hardware bypass because I if something happens where i have to return the avic with the warranty will they accept it with a hardware bypass done to it? Or can i just send the unit itself without the cables?

What is the Apple Authentication Chip for?

In the current F series (that doesn't have the chip), when you plug in your iPhone it states that it's not a compatible accessory and asks you if you want to place your phone in airplane mode. It's more of a slight annoyance really. If you answer "no" the iPhone (both 1G and 3G) work fine. Well... aside from needing a 3rd party dongle to properly charge the 3G.

So if you don't have an iPhone, you won't take advantage of that feature right?

So if you don't have an iPhone, you won't take advantage of that feature right?

Right. The only purpose the Apple authentication chip is for iPhones/iPods to recognize the head units as officially sanctioned accessories. Short of that new chip and the aesthetic/hardware changes on the front.... with Firmware 3.0 there is apparently little to no difference between the F series and the new X series. With the exception of the Z110BT. That thing apparently has a kick ass CPU/RAM/GPU upgrade. :D

Considering the current mods and the talents available among the AVIC411 community... what's stopping us from pulling the files off of the SD card and uploading them somewhere? I, for one, have a bit-for-bit "Floppy Copy" app at work that we use to transfer software licenses from computer to computer. I'm sure something more current could be used to duplicate the Pioneer SD cards. I mean... *some* of us, who shall remain nameless of course... have never paid for a map update... and this probably won't be any different. Thoughts?

Also, the Pioneer site just says it's a map upgrade... is this also the 3.0 firmware? (Is that what "PRD & Manual" means?)

***EDIT*** Oh, and by the way... FW 3.0 looks awesome. I'm anxious to hear if we can still mod this new FW, since Pioneer has taken over development, rather than the "3rd party" that f***ed it up the first (and second) time. I may ditch my mods for this update if I have to choose one or the other. Does anyone know if you can be on a bluetooth phonecall and still hear the GPS? The facts that the bluetooth phone popup is moved to the side and the MAP button works during a phonecall make me hopeful. Parrot really screwed up the bluetooth interaction. It's actually SAFER if you can hear the GPS prompts while on a phonecall, because otherwise... not only are you on the phone, but you're also constantly taking your eyes of the road at every intersection to see the screen and make sure you're not supposed to turn. It's craziness!

Considering the current mods and the talents available among the AVIC411 community... what's stopping us from pulling the files off of the SD card and uploading them somewhere? I, for one, have a bit-for-bit "Floppy Copy" app at work that we use to transfer software licenses from computer to computer. I'm sure something more current could be used to duplicate the Pioneer SD cards. I mean... *some* of us, who shall remain nameless of course... have never paid for a map update... and this probably won't be any different. Thoughts?

Also, the Pioneer site just says it's a map upgrade... is this also the 3.0 firmware? (Is that what "PRD & Manual" means?)

I hear ya. Trust me, I'm no stranger to Rapidshare, etc. I've never paid for map updates either. I always had the latest on my old Kenwood DNX8120. I actually have seen the european 3.0/map update floating around on a few sites. I was tempted to get it for the hell of it but don't want to ruin my unit. If that is any indicator for the US unit, then maybe we'll be good to go. I just wish they would release it already or I could somehow see if it was really worth it as I would like to know if I should just spring for the Z110 or not.

The 3.0 and map are together from what I can see on the F700 updates page: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Navigation/In-Dash/ci.AVIC-F700BT.Support?tab=B

Looks like I may have to get the Z series after all. My F700 has been on the fritz now for the last week. For example, I got in my car the other day, and out of NO WHERE, the brightness of the screen for both day and night modes somehow got set all the way down to zero. It looked like the backlight had died. Luckily, I just reset the brightness to 10 and has been ok since.

Then, today, the rear view camera somehow just enabled itself where the screen would go black every time I put the car into reverse (The unit thought I had a rear cam when I don't). I had to go in and disable to cam to get it to stop.

Then to top it off, tonight I updated the songs on my iPod from my PC, plugged the iPod in to the Avic, songs play just fine, but the option for iPod VR Catalog mode in AV Settings is completely GONE. Not greyed out, but completely MISSING! WTF! I can't even go into disable/enable VR cataloging since the button doesn't even exist anymore!

I haven't modded anything software wise on this unit in MONTHS, and even then it was only Navi mods, nothing to affect the core software. Nothing has changed. Right now, I'm kinda pissed that I may finally have had a well-working F with 3.0 and the week all this new great info comes out, the F700 decides to start acting up.

So if I buy the 3.0 it'll be the same thing as having bought the Xseries? (besides the apple chip and face.)

Is this 100% given by Pioneer or is this what people are expecting to happen?

Also, if the software bypass is done pre-3.0, does this mean that the bypass won't work after i install the 3.0?[/b]

And if we can't re-hack with the 3.0 then the only way would be hardware bypass right?

I'm just scared about the hardware bypass because I if something happens where i have to return the avic with the warranty will they accept it with a hardware bypass done to it? Or can i just send the unit itself without the cables?