AVIC411.com

TIME CHANGE?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]So our Avic does not get time from the satellite? My old Nissan factory nav unit did that... Seems pretty basic. oh well.[/quote]

Yes it does get the time from the sat, but you can change it for the time zone you are in and turn on summer time (daylight savings time). I think you can also adjust it forward and backwards by a minute or 2 if you were so inclined.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]So our Avic does not get time from the satellite? My old Nissan factory nav unit did that... Seems pretty basic. oh well.[/quote]

Yes it does get the time from the sat, but you can change it for the time zone you are in and turn on summer time (daylight savings time). I think you can also adjust it forward and backwards by a minute or 2 if you were so inclined.[/quote]

Hmm that must be something on the z1 then cause the d series you can't adjust the minutes at all.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Hmm that must be something on the z1 then cause the d series you can't adjust the minutes at all.[/quote]

I could be smoking something. I seem to remember that, but it could have been from my old 300C nav system. But the other stuff is Z1. Just the "change the minutes thing" might be me high on "something" :)
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]So our Avic does not get time from the satellite? My old Nissan factory nav unit did that... Seems pretty basic. oh well.[/quote]

Yes it does get the time from the sat, but you can change it for the time zone you are in and turn on summer time (daylight savings time). I think you can also adjust it forward and backwards by a minute or 2 if you were so inclined.[/quote]

Good deal! I must not have had the daylight savings mode on then.
Thanks!
[quote name="Inspector_Gadget"] [quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]So our Avic does not get time from the satellite? My old Nissan factory nav unit did that... Seems pretty basic. oh well.[/quote]

Good deal! I must not have had the daylight savings mode on then.
Thanks![/quote]
oh, you have tyo turn it back on again in 6 months :roll:
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone ever proved the Z1 obtains its time from a GPS satellite? If this were true, there would be no need to change time by minutes, only hours. The GPS sats are based on atomic clock time, and are about as exact as you can get. However, they cannot determine the time zone a specific unit is located in, so hour changes and DSL adjustments would be required.

Has anyone ever proved the Z1 obtains its time from a GPS satellite? If this were true, there would be no need to change time by minutes, only hours. The GPS sats are based on atomic clock time, and are about as exact as you can get. However, they cannot determine the time zone a specific unit is located in, so hour changes and DSL adjustments would be required.

Umm... yes thats the only thing that you can adjust. Hours.

However, they cannot determine the time zone a specific unit is located in, so hour changes and DSL adjustments would be required.

You would think, that with the GPS function, the Avic would know what time zone it's in and adjust itself. Just wishfull thinking, I suppose.

However, they cannot determine the time zone a specific unit is located in, so hour changes and DSL adjustments would be required.

You would think, that with the GPS function, the Avic would know what time zone it's in and adjust itself. Just wishfull thinking, I suppose.

How? If you receive six satellites, which one would determine YOUR time zone since the six satellites might be in two or three different time zones. The GPS satellites send out data based on timing from an atomic clock, all the GPSr unit does it triangulate the signals from each satellite and that is a simple explanation on how the GPSr bases your position.

Three sats will give you a decent location, four sats are required for elevation/altitude. The more the sats, the better the accuracy. WAAS allows for greater accuracy, now that the WAAS sats are all working; problem is, the AVIC does not utilize WAAS.

My original question was if the clock is actually run on GPS time, then the minutes do not have to be changed on the AVIC, only the hours. (Unless you are in a half-hour time zone.)