AVIC411.com

USB Hard Drive for Movies?

Anyone attempt to install something like a 2.5" external hard drive in their vehicle to store movies? I know there were processing lag issues with the F90BT.

Is the Z110BT any better at streaming the media from an external drive? I have a 160G iPod classic that is full of movies. I would love to be able to drop a .5 terabyte hard disk in the vehicle for movies only, connect it via USB, and be done with it. I could reclaim all that space on the iPod for music.

Anyone have the same thought?

I haven't been able to get my sandisk cruzer 16GB drive to work yet, but I am still playing around with it. I think if I wipe the U3 stuff off it might work. Not sure if I am ready to invest in a much larger external drive just yet just to take a gamble on if the HU has the power or the capability to read it.

That's basically what I ended up doing. I got a 120GB ipod classic and threw it in the center console. I couldn't be more pleased with the way this radio interfaces with it and the disk support on this unit works differently then the iPod, behaves more like an explorer interface.

• 3 weeks later...
I use the 160 gig for movies and it works perfect without any problems. I have also used the 16 and the 32 gig Sony flash and it also works.

Oh ya. Did you try watching a movie from the flash? How did it work out? How full was the flash? I am assuming you are talking about a card not a USB "jump" drive.

If you're having problems playing movies from a hard drive, check out the JVC NX7000BT. I shopped units for 2-3 months and even went into a shop to test movies on the z110bt from a usb hard drive... It failed with several different drives, so I went with the NX7000BT and couldn't be happier!

I think JVC's unit is the more compatable with various media types than the pioneer units. It can also hold thousands of songs and/or movies. It will also play photos, and I love the gps navigation that came with it. Plus I was able to find it online for only $750.00 (compared to the $1,500 for the pioneer)

I think the Pioneer has a bit nicer interface, but not by much. And remember, for me, media from the hard drive was the deciding factor. If pioneer would have handled DivX videos via USB I may have paid the extra $$. But they can't do the basics... Maybe in their next product.