AVIC411.com

Voice Control

Hi All:

I'm looking into purchasing a 700bt but had a question about the voice control before I make any decisions; I'm hoping someone who actually owns one here can answer definitively.

Can you use the voice control functions "Play Rock and Roll" or "Play artist So and So" to control audio on an SD card? How about USB mass storage or CD?

I have read posts here where it was confirmed that Zunes don't work but it didn't answer the question of other sources. Crutchfield states that you can use voice control to navigate the media on your iPod but also leaves out the other sources.

So can anyone answer the question with a definitive yes or no?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin J.

it can be used for making phone calls too, I mean as long as you want to call the wrong person everytime.

I disagree. I had 95% accuracy with my VR (iPod and phone) - with 2.0 that is. With 3.0 it is significantly less accurate. If you buy one - stick with 2.0. VR and Bluetooth suk with 3.0 and they were fine with 2.0

it can be used for making phone calls too, I mean as long as you want to call the wrong person everytime.

I disagree. I had 95% accuracy with my VR (iPod and phone) - with 2.0 that is. With 3.0 it is significantly less accurate. If you buy one - stick with 2.0. VR and Bluetooth suk with 3.0 and they were fine with 2.0

Really? The VR accuracy dropped on the 3.0 firmware? Leave it to Pioneer I suppose... Has anyone else had issues with the 3.0 VR accuracy?

I am on 3.0, for changing tracks and sources it seems to work pretty well, but everytime I try to make a phone call it calls the wrong person. Examply everytime I've tried to call my wife her name is Cheryl, I say CALL CHERYL, it waits a second then says 'calling sarah', i've also heard, 'calling brittany' I can understand sarah as they can sound similar, but Brittany?!?!? really?

I mean it sucks that it doesn't work great for phone calls in my experience but I still love the head unit, it has more pros than cons.

I to have had some issues with 3.0 on the VR side. I feel it is not as good as with 2.0. With 2.0 controlling the Ipod worked very well except when changing source to Ipod. I have always had problems with that and with 3.0 I am still having problems. I never had any problems with playing a play list yet now with 3.0 I am having some problems. The dialing on BT I also have some problems so I was glad to see this thread and know I am not the only one that has seen this. Over all I am happy with 3.0 yet find it strange that VR got a little worse.

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I was looking for! Its a shame that it only works for iPod, but I now know what to expect.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Glad you found out now. I wish I paid better attention to the marketing, because I was (and still am) really disappointed when I found out it didn't control my SD music.

There is a slight difference between 2.0 and 3.0 VR and it is important to know this difference otherwise you will not have very good success with VR after switching to 3.0

I had an F700 in my car for about 8 months and my VR worked perfectly on everything but when i switched to an X910 with 3.0 i was having a terrible time getting the VR to work properly. I was doing everything i did with my F700 so i could not figure out what the problem could be but i finally figured it out....

On the F700 i would simply press the VR button, wait for the chime, and then give the VR command and it worked great.

but if you have 3.0 it is important that you WAIT AN EXTRA SECOND after you hear the chime before you start talking. you have to wait until the purple dashes around the little face icon begin to light up. this one second pause was not necessary with 2.0 but if you do not pause with 3.0 the unit will not hear every work you say and will almost certainly misunderstand you.

give this a try and hopefully it will help most of you with your problems.

I have a F700 2.0 - and have never once been able to get VC working properly. I've had it call the wrong person plenty of times, and have it tell me it didn't understand what I'm saying when I try to change audio sources and such, but that's about it.

That's really been one of the biggest disappointments for me in this unit...that and the incredibly sluggish response time to do...anything. Push button, wait 2 seconds for response. Push another, wait 2 more seconds. Rinse, repeat. Oh, and the insanely long boot time.

Oh well. For the price (I got a great sale on it) it's the only thing out there that has all the functionality that it does, so I still like it well enough to put up with it. Someday I'll just build myself a true CarPC and be done with it, but until I can afford that...