AVIC411.com

Not Detecting Ipod at startup after upgrading to 3.01

ARGGGHHH.....

Just spoke with Pioneer and again, have to send in the unit. Said that it should take about a month to get it back. Oh there are so many words I would like to type right now and the little evil Smilies don't cut it.

Oh yea, I mentioned to my service guy this forum and it looks like we all have a reputation as hackers. He said that most of the people on this forum "have created their own issues because they hack the OS". Looks like Pioneer is going to be blind to all the pain posted on here instead of being a responsible manufacturer and actually participating in an open forum to try and head off customer service issues...

-C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

An update...

Got my unit back from Pioneer in Ohio last night. Guess what? That's right, IT'S STILL NOT FIXED! I still have the exact same problems I had before. Apparently the only thing they did when they had it at their repair center was to reload the 2.0 software. Not sure how this is supposed to fix the issue but that's what they did.

So now, not only does the iPod STILL not show as an Audio source but often when i want to change a setting and press Settings, I get an error message that states something to the effect that the Settings Program has performed an illegal operation and needs to close. That's a new one...

Pioneer's Customer Service line doesn't open until 10am local (EST), so i'll post more after speaking with them...

So the moral of the story kiddies is even though they may want you to send your unit in, it won't do a blessed thing... buy Eclipse or Kenwood...

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I got tired of having to unplug and reconnect my ipod. I googled and googled and here is my band aid fix.

I made a time delay circuit to turn connect the ipod after about 18 seconds and It has connected every time since I installed it yesterday (well over 20 times)

Here is what I did.

I used this schematic Relay Delay

I went to Radio Shack to pick up some transistors

2 of PN 276-2016 (2N3904) $.79 ea

1 of PN 276-1617 (pk of 15) $2.59 pk I used this in place of the 2N3053

and a small bread board $1.99

I had the relay, diode, resistor and capacitor (I used the 470ufd) laying around.

I had a small USB ext cable that I used so I would not have to cut into the Ipod cable.

I hooked up the relay so it is in line with the power to the ipod and hooked up the circuit to ground and a RAP power source. When the power is off it disconnects the ipods power. When I start the car the relay is closed at about 18 seconds and the ipod connects.

I have the same problem with iPod (Nano 4th gen) more often not being recognized by the HU (F900 3.02 FW), unless disconnected and connected again.

@ItsStopher your solution seems interesting (basically it makes HU thinks the iPod is connected only after boots up), but needs a little bit too more work and skills for my taste.

Do we have any other solution?

• 1 month later...

After reading about both this problem and the left/right channel sound problem I'm thinking the source of the issue is the same. I have both issues, where my left channel is completely gone and/or my iPod is not recognized at start up. Both problems go away if I unplug my iPod while my car is running and re-plug after about a minute or two.

It has to be one of two things:

the AVIC unit is still going through startup for that long and the unit is simply not ready at boot to accept the external iPod connection, in which case it is a software issue and would explain why it either doesn't connect at all or only partially works on one channel, right side in my case,

or

the PAC unit is not getting enough or any power at start up and takes some time to gather enough juice to function properly.

I'm partially happy to see I'm not the only one having these issues and mostly unhappy that it's happening to anyone at all.

....or

the PAC unit is not getting enough or any power at start up and takes some time to gather enough juice to function properly.

No PAC unit here, and I have never had the speaker issue, in fact the speaker/one channel issues are most likely not related to the ipod not being recognized upon boot since the "lost ipod" was a new "feature" with 3.x for a lot of folks, they were fine on 2.x

....or

No PAC unit here, and I have never had the speaker issue, in fact the speaker/one channel issues are most likely not related to the ipod not being recognized upon boot since the "lost ipod" was a new "feature" with 3.x for a lot of folks, they were fine on 2.x

understood, i don't think this problem is new though since i had the lost ipod problem since i bought the unit over a year ago and it seems many have reported the problem simply got worse after 3.0. more people are experiencing it as a result, but certainly not a new problem for many.

unplugging and plugging after starting the car has always worked for me as a fix for both problems, i pointed at the PAC since that's what I use but what i was implying is that the actual port on the unit does not have enough power. just a guess, but i can't think of any other reason why i can get it to work by the disconnect/connect routine. i am assuming the port used by the iPod on the avic is the same regardless of the presence of a PAC unit.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem that doesn't require putting together relays and such? I keep hoping Pioneer will release a firmware update to fix this issue but it doesn't seem like that's likely.

I have a 30GB 5.5gen Ipod and I thought about getting the newest 160GB iPod Classic to see if that fixes the issue. I know it's a problem with the avic, but that iPod may start up differently or something and may be ok since it has a newer OS? Can anyone tell me if they've had this same problem when using a newer iPod Classic?

• 3 months later...

Ok i have the avic-f900bt and also have this problem, my ipod disconnects and sometimes i lose the sound..I have a ipod 30gb classic,and i've never had any software mod neither have upgraded to 3.0 i have the normal pioneer 2.0008 upgrade.I have to keep unplugging and plugin back again, i got so frustrated that i just use the map instead..Don't know what to do please help...

I've had this issue with my f90bt and an ipod 6th gen 120gb and a 5th gen 160gb. currently i have the 160gb in there and working. the only thing that made it work was having the ipod fully charged when i put it in the car. may have been coincidental, but i'm not willing to take it out to find out. give that a try, its easy and pretty quick.

my unit was modded prior to the official 3.0 update and i think that may have been the issue. i'm still gathering information about this, but i think if your unit was modded you needed to wipe the flash drive on the unit before doing the 3.0 update, which means that you have to do the non official 3.0 update from the mods section on here.