AVIC411.com

Horribly Ugly GUI - is there any control over it?

I'm very disappointed in the layout of many of the screens on this unit, is there any way to modify them, or does anyone think hacks will be available in the future to do so?

I could give a thousand examples, where to even start, here's a few:

radio screen is a waste of space. your station has 8 characters of radio station info that scrolls. why not buffer that and display it in a readable format in a readable font. how about some type of spectrum analyzer or something to fill some space, even if its selectable on/off.

ipod screen, half the screen is a duplication of the hard keys. i don't mind the touchscreen keys but space could be saved some there and then larger album art and more space for the song info could be displayed. again, visualization would be nice.

when looking up ipod songs by playlist/album/artist/etc, why fill HALF the screen leaving half blank. why not show album art next to albums. if its too slow to pull them on the fly, certainly when you select an album and have a list of its songs, you could show the album in art in the HALF screen thats totally blank.

picture in picture dvd video with ipod or nav would be great.

as a developer i just would never design GUI's that are so boring!

This is supposed to be the hacks/mods forum... I am not complaining I'm looking for any information on doing serious modifications. I understand this software version is new, does anyone here have any actual modding/hacking experience on it? I'm a very capable programmer just don't know where to start.

It could be a good place to start, but my understanding is that the Z110 and the F series are running different OS's.

From what I've gathered this is indeed the case.... The Z110 is still running the Windows Automotive OS(like the original Z)... the F series is actually running Windows CE...

Which only makes sense to me... Pioneer learned how bad they failed with the CE, and went back to a less demanding OS(automotive/embedded versions)....

I think the CE or even a full out Mobile Windows would be great(6.5 should have multi touch)... But to provide the units with enough hardware to power a feature rich OS, and to run to our exspectations, would cost too much... too much for Pioneer...too much for us...

Unfortunetly Pioneer doesn't think that there are many like me, that would love a full out, high powered, more/less carputer running a nicely feature rich OS, and willing to pay for it....

As far as skinning the automotive OS....dunno.... I would think that it would be possible...

Maybe the added USB drivers in the 110 will be helpful for the guys in the know...

• 2 weeks later...

YES, it can be done. If it is Windows, all you need is a boot program to get you into the OS's file structure. Pioneer technicians would have this, as this is needed to fix any software glitches. With WindowsCE it is the exact same thing. The boot program is a folder that is called 'TESTMODE' and that is used to boot into the folders and files so that they then can be altered. Once a boot program comes into existence, then I too will purchase one of these units as you are right, the GUI is ugly as it is originally on the 'F' series and 'X' series.

We already know how to get into "TESTMODE". The instructions are on page 85 of the service manual.

How to Start-up Test Mode

A. Start-up by operation of the product.

1. Enter the following password while +B, ACC are ON (Normal application start-up status).

1. Press [HOME] key.

2. Press keys in the order,

->

->

->

->

->

, while pressing [HOME] key.

3. Release [HOME] key.

2. When the password is correct, restart begins and test mode menu is displayed.

B. Start-up by SD card.

1. Download GGS1080 from the Service Site.

2. Decompress the file.

3. Copy the decompressed file to the SD card root.

4. Insert the SD card to the product and turn ACC on.

We need the GGS1080 file to boot from SD to see if we have different options.

I don't think it'll be anything more than what's flashed on the ROM. In other words, the GGS1080 wouldn't open up any other functions over booting to the onboard TESTMODE(procedure A).... But maybe it'll help to see what makes it tick....

I wonder if the GGS1080 can be purchased... They don't have it listed on their site... But I noticed Pioneer has many designators for these service disc... there's alot on the web for flashing laptop HDD's and such... Designators like GGFxxxx and GGVxxxx.... They list some that are close to what we need... I just wonder if they haven't updated their site, or if it's possible to order...

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/sea ... S10&page=2

We could bribe a tech or engineer :twisted:

I was about to say that you could easily bribe a bonified Pioneer repair shop.... but I read that Pioneer is the only "repair man" of these nav units.... Guess their too complicated/protected...

But yes...let the bribeing begin.. Who knows, you could find an employee ready to give up his/her job...

Did anybody think of just calling them and asking them to provide a link for the download ? Just explain to them that you have the service manual and you are having problems getting into testmode with the button pushes. In their manual, it gives precise instructions to download it from their service site. Just ask Pioneer to provide the link. Their phone number is : 1-800-421-1404 (USA)

1-877-283-5901 (CANADA)

I tried to call them, but they close at 5:30 here in Canada, and I dont get home til 6pm. I got off once at 5pm, tried to call them, got put on hold for a half hour and then got a message saying they were closed :evil: