AVIC411.com

2006 Mustang GT

I have called three car stereo installation places and they have all said the same thing that the Z-1 would require a "Re-Wire" of my stereo system speakers = "Couple Hundred Bucks". Anyone care to elaborate or have any experience with this? I would be very greatful for any input on this Thanks.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BMWJ17"]I have called three car stereo installation places and they have all said the same thing that the Z-1 would require a "Re-Wire" of my stereo system speakers = "Couple Hundred Bucks". Anyone care to elaborate or have any experience with this? I would be very greatful for any input on this Thanks.[/quote]

If your car has a head unit in the dash and then an amplifier in the trunk (my 1996 Crown Vic had this) you will need to re-wire your speakers. What happens is that your new Z1 head unit has a built in amplifier in the head unit and it outputs directly to the speakers. This is installed in your dash, but your speakers are run to the trunk (or where ever the amp is) not the dash. The speakers go to the factory amp. And if your head unit is in the dash there is nothing to conenct your head unit to. I would run the speaker wires to the back of the car and into the speaker wires there, as opposed to re-wiring the speakers.

The other possibility is that you have a factory amp, you might be able to use it. If you could get the audio from the head unit to input into the factory amp, that might work too.

Not 100% sure about your particular car, but I would assume that's what they meant. Call Crutchfield and see what they say. Just tell them you were thinking of installing a head unit in a 06 mustang and see if they say anything.
Do you have the "Shaker", "Shaker 500" or "Shaker 1000"?

If you have the 500 or 1000 you will need to rewire the speakers because those have factory amps in the trunk.

I think there is some company that makes an adaptor for the shaker systems, not sure though. I have a 2004 Mustang and I know there are adaptors for the "Mach" Systems.
JasonH, nice find. And just FYI, if you do get the factory amp to turn on with the head unit and if you get a popping noise when you turn it on, some people told me it needed to be delayed when turning on the amp, but it turns out for my ford product (lincoln aviator sub woofer amp) it needed 5v turn on not 12v (what the z1 puts out) and so I needed to take a 7805 and a couple caps to make 5V out of the 12V. It might not be necessary but just incase you run in to that....
[quote name="JasonH"]Do you have the "Shaker", "Shaker 500" or "Shaker 1000"?

If you have the 500 or 1000 you will need to rewire the speakers because those have factory amps in the trunk.

I think there is some company that makes an adaptor for the shaker systems, not sure though. I have a 2004 Mustang and I know there are adaptors for the "Mach" Systems.[/quote]
I have the Shaker 500 System.
From what Jason found, it looks like that adpater would hook to your speakers but it seems that the shaker 500 is just an amp with subwoofer. No amp for the speakers other than the head unit.

If what that adapter looks like is correct. So you might be good to go, you could wire up the 4 speakers to that connector from crutchfield (if it actually works for your car) and then hook the sub outs from the Z1 to the inputs to the factory amp and then hook the turn on from the Z1 to that input from the smaller harness. I had the exact same looking setup for my Lincoln Aviator. And that's how I hooked it up. I did need to put a 7805 voltage regulator and a couple caps on it to drop the turn on signal to 5V from 12V but my set up works like a charm.

So it looks like you might be better off then those guys from that shop lead on. But you should check with some mustang forums or something to double check installing after market head units. They might have more knowledge about the wires and harnesses available for your particular model.
[quote name="JasonH"]Ahh, looks like your in luck if you have the shaker 500: [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1Ghnqm8t5Ss/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120705521]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1Ghnqm8t5S ... =120705521[/url][/quote]

So I just ordered this harness is that it it is that easy? Why the hell were all those stereo shops feeding me that #$%%.
Thank you everyone for the help.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]As for the popping when turning on or off, what I normally do is use a 2.2k or a 2.4k resistor on the remote wire. Works every time.[/quote]

And I used a voltage regulator. First thing that came to mind. A resistor would have been easier :)
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="cntrylvr79"]As for the popping when turning on or off, what I normally do is use a 2.2k or a 2.4k resistor on the remote wire. Works every time.[/quote]

And I used a voltage regulator. First thing that came to mind. A resistor would have been easier :)[/quote]

I must say, I never thought of using a voltage reg. Hey now I can charge customers a lot more for doing that!!! Hmmm, no I can't damn ethics. The regulator would probably be better in the lost term though, just because resistor might be more prone to fail if the radio is pulled out often. Ahh whatever.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]
I must say, I never thought of using a voltage reg. Hey now I can charge customers a lot more for doing that!!! Hmmm, no I can't damn ethics. [/quote]

Ethics? Good for you!

If you do, you can use a 7805 and two caps, one across Vin and ground (usually a 0.33uF) and one across vout and ground (usually a 0.1uf) or the 5V out will oscillate like crazy.

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]
The regulator would probably be better in the lost term though, just because resistor might be more prone to fail if the radio is pulled out often. Ahh whatever.[/quote]

I don't think so, I might be worried about how much voltage it's actually dropping and what kind of current it's drawing for amp turn on and what wattage resistor you are using. But it's probably ok. As for failing cause the radio is pulled out... I wouldn't worry, I don't think that would be a factor.
Hey, two quick questions- First, has anyone used the crutchfield f-150 install kit with a mustang? I heard that it fits perfectly, but was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge...

Second, with regards to the regulator, is that definately something that you need to install to avoid the subwoofer popping, or is it possible that you won't need to do it? If it is something that you need to install, do you install it at the amp, or at the receiver end? If you have to do it at the amp end, where is the amp located? Do you just use some solder to mount it onto the amp turn on, or what? I'm obviously a bit confused, and could use some help if anyone has successfully installed one of these into their mustang..

thanks.

jake