AVIC411.com

SD Card Movies

so i have the f700bt and i know you cant just put a dvd in there and watch it someone told me i have to download a movie and throw it on a sd, ipod, or, USB flash drive heres my question? if i put it on a sd card is there a certain format i got to put it on as? or just download and drag it into the sd card folder? thanks!!!

Most of the time I use my Ipod but .AVI works well on SD. So in saying that after you download your movie, depending on what kind of file your downloading you must have the right codec installed in your computer to convert it to .AVI .AVI works on both of my unit's F90BT and F900BT. It should work on the F700Bt as well.

In the back of the f90bt user manual (and probably all the other model manuals) there are specifications for what video formats to use on usb drives, sd cards, etc. The specs are very specific, saying only certain bitrate and encoders will work. I'm not at home right now, (i'm sitting at a red light) so I don't have access to the info. Once I am home. I'll post the info if needed.

peace,

infochia

i put a movie on a sd card and still nothing like i touch the sd card and a black screen comes up it looks like it wants to play but it doesnt all i did was i downloaded a short little movie converted it to AVI and just dragged it into the sd spot on my computer if i can give someone my cell number and they can help me out i will pay them for there time! i just really wanna watch movies on my F700BT please let me know!!

I watch movies all the time on my F700BT unit via SD card.

If your movie is on a DVD, you have to use a software on your computer to rip it to your hard drive and convert it to AVI format. Click here for an example of such software.

The following avi parameters works well.

DivX or XviD codec

Video resolution 640x480 or less

MP3 audio

File size less than 1 GB

Any movies with extension .mp4, .mkv, .mpg, .mpeg, or .mov will not work. Also won't work, HD videos (720P, 1080i/p), .vob files from DVD, .ISO or .3gp videos from your cell phone. Some avi's have AC3 or multi-track audios muxed with DivX or XviD encoded video. It will play the video fine, but no sound. Some .wmv won't work either.

Another thing about playing video on the AVIC unit is that it doesn't fill the whole screen. I've tried all the settings already. The video playback option is very limited on the AVIC.

following avi parameters works well.

DivX or XviD codec

MP3 audio

File size less than 1 GB

Another thing about playing video on the AVIC unit is that it doesn't fill the whole screen. I've tried all the settings already. The video playback option is very limited on the AVIC.

The reason that it does not fill the screen is that it is set at 640x480. The Avic screen size is 800 x 480, so your video will have to be at the same resolution to fill the screen. The only exception is if there is a setting to fill the screen, which there isn't.

• 3 months later...

Actually I tried playing a .mp4 movie and it played fine on F700bt

I used WinX video converter (http://www.winxdvd.com/video-converter/)

Settings used to convert:

Convert to MP4

Original size and Keep Aspect Ratio

Video Format MPEG4

I left everything else to default settings and it worked like a charm.

I only played one clip though. Haven't tried converting the whole movie

PS - the same mp4 file can also be added to iPhone/iPod and played on the unit

I watch movies all the time on my F700BT unit via SD card.

If your movie is on a DVD, you have to use a software on your computer to rip it to your hard drive and convert it to AVI format. Click here for an example of such software.

The following avi parameters works well.

DivX or XviD codec

MP3 audio

File size less than 1 GB

Any movies with extension .mp4, .mkv, .mpg, .mpeg, or .mov will not work. Also won't work, HD videos (720P, 1080i/p), .vob files from DVD, .ISO or .3gp videos from your cell phone. Some avi's have AC3 or multi-track audios muxed with DivX or XviD encoded video. It will play the video fine, but no sound. Some .wmv won't work either.

I have a X710BT, and I tried lately converting the Avatar DVD to the MP4 format to play by the AVIC and work fine. I tried the following configurations:

WinXDVD Platinum Converter

AAC audio, 128, 160 or 192 kbps, 48 K sampling rate

MP4 video (High Quality Video Engine checked), 480 kbps, or 640 kbps, start to lag with 800 kbps, 1024 kbps

Custom and keep aspect ratio selected, 720x404 (Avatar! Other movie will vary)

File size is around 1 GB but I already play Avatar with 1024 kbps video that shot up to 2.2 GB, playable but lag seriously, which confirm that the ARM CPU is way under-powered.

Dont' forget to select the video mode in the AVIC to NORMAL instead of WIDE, within audio/video settings of the AVIC.

Good lucks.