AVIC411.com

(sorry about the duplicate post. I meant to put it here on this thread and landed on the wrong one.......)

I completed these updates this week. Followed the posts found elsewhere on this forum for the BT update. Gracenote was downloaded directly off PioneerUSA.

FYI, I burned the update CD using a trial version of Sateira. There was no problem with the install. It seems like the guys using Nero have been the ones experiencing the "extract the ISO files to a separate folder first" issue which result in the stuck at "99% complete" problem.

If anybody wants the 2 CDs I made, let me know by PM and I'll mail them to you.

No, I will not dupe them for a bunch of people. Just trying to do my part recycling ONLY these two disks that would otherwise land in a landfill somewhere.

DIYDaddy....

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just created a CD-R using NERO from the ISO downloaded off Ducatiboy's link in the first page of this post.

After checking the CD, I looked through the directories and matched against Ducatiboy's listing on page 7 of this post. Everything checks out...

Finally I decided to copy the "HITO1.JPG.000" file from the \SDATA\PRG0\TESTDISC\Data\GraphicFile folder to my desktop. I changed the file to "HITO1.JPG" and opened. The image is the one Ducatiboy posted in on page 4 but it is not complete. Right below the woman's head, the image is all black boxes with a grid of white dots.

Doesn't look like it was copied corectly. I'm reluctant to run the update on my Z1 due to the problems Ducatiboy had with this image when coping to his HD.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Go to page 8 of this thread and you'll see the phone number for Pioneer support. Call them and they will send you a CD, no questions asked. They did not even ask for my serial number, just name and address. It worked great and came very quickly.

Digitalxrayguy

If I use the bluetooth update and for some reason I get the 99% issue. Will I lose all my info in the unit?

Since I'm the only one who had this problem as far as I know, I would guess yes, you would lose your info and most likely your unit. It would have to be sent back to pioneer for repair.

I didn't have to do that because before I installed the update I pulled the drive out, unlocked the hard drive (with the $50 utility) and backed up all 4 partitions on the hard drive and was able to restore my hard drive from my previously saved backups.

If I hadn't done that, I would have needed to send my Z1 back to Pioneer and I would bet they would have wiped the drive and reloaded it back to stock.

I downloaded the iso, burned it to a CD and ran the update this weekend. To my dismay I GOT THE DREADED 99% COMPLTE ERROR!!! I burned about 4 or 5 different brand CD's to try to get it to run, but had no luck. Just as I was about to rip the hair out of my head, I came across ducatiboy's post that suggested extracting the iso to your hard drive then burning the files to a CD. I did this, inserted the CD in the Z1, restarted it and IT WORKED!!!! So, to sum it all up, if you get the 99% error all hope is not lost. Simply follow ducatiboy's suggestion, insert the new CD, restart the Z1 and everything is fine.

Ducatiboy, you are a life-saver!!! Thank you!!

Go to page 8 of this thread and you'll see the phone number for Pioneer support. Call them and they will send you a CD, no questions asked. They did not even ask for my serial number, just name and address. It worked great and came very quickly.

Digitalxrayguy

Called Pioneer yesterday and I didn't even get to finish my sentance before they transfered me to parts. All I said was "bluetooth" "AVIC-Z1" and she was like, "Sure, let me get you the parts department." They answered and I said the same thing. Before I could finish she was asking for my name and address. No product numbers, purchase dates, serial numbers, etc. They shipped it same day.

I'm trying to find out if I need the bluetooth hardware in order to upgrade the software in the hard drive? I'm trying to avoid the flasher bypass and just do the 2 wire grounding bypass on my z1. The thing is, I don't plan on purchasing the bluetooth hardware. I've been searching in many of the forums but unable to find this specific information.

Also, in a couple of pages before this one, I read that Ducatiboy was able to remove the hard drive and unlock the image to his PC hard drive. Does anyone know what type of hard drive is on the z1? Is it like a regular 30gb laptop hard drive or is it something different? And since this can be done on the PC, any chance that the hard drive can also be upgraded to perhaps a 100gb size by copying all of the locked image for the original 30gb hard drive?

Thanks in advance to anyone offering more information.

coocho is right on the bluetooth update, you don't need the adapter to update the software.

in a couple of pages before this one, I read that Ducatiboy was able to remove the hard drive and unlock the image to his PC hard drive. Does anyone know what type of hard drive is on the z1? Is it like a regular 30gb laptop hard drive or is it something different? And since this can be done on the PC, any chance that the hard drive can also be upgraded to perhaps a 100gb size by copying all of the locked image for the original 30gb hard drive?

Thanks in advance to anyone offering more information.

The hard drive is a "laptop" hard drive. But it's an "automotive grade" hard drive. Everyone who tried swapping out the drive would have the system lock up within 5 minutes, except for one person. One guy had luck swapping out his drive with another one. Our guess is vibration. Look here for drive info: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728 But there is much reason to go to a 100gig. There is a software limit to the number of albums you can store on the Z1. You can fill 10 gigs before reaching it but I'll bet you can't fill a 100 gig. No one has tried replacing the stock drive with a bigger automotive drive. But it's as easy as unlocking it and ghosting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who posted a lot of good information on this site, especially Ducattiboy and Cochoo. Thank goodness I did all those reading first prior to installing my Z1. Everything worked well.

There was one issue, though. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the gracenote or bluetooth update, but after doing both updates, I tried recording 1 music CD onto the hard drive. The music in the library played fine, but when I tried to play a movie (original, not burned) in the dvd drive, It wouldn't play it and would just give me a blue screen for a very long time. I had to press the reset button to get the dvd player to play my movies again. I lost the presets for my FM and AM, but that's not a big deal. I was wondering if anyone knows if it had to do with either one of the updates? Perhaps, everytime I update the gracenote files, or do any other type of updates, I am suppose to press the reset button for everything to work properly. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem after doing the updates. Thanks again everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
If I use the bluetooth update and for some reason I get the 99% issue. Will I lose all my info in the unit?

Since I'm the only one who had this problem as far as I know, I would guess yes, you would lose your info and most likely your unit. It would have to be sent back to pioneer for repair.

I didn't have to do that because before I installed the update I pulled the drive out, unlocked the hard drive (with the $50 utility) and backed up all 4 partitions on the hard drive and was able to restore my hard drive from my previously saved backups.

If I hadn't done that, I would have needed to send my Z1 back to Pioneer and I would bet they would have wiped the drive and reloaded it back to stock.

I downloaded the iso, burned it to a CD and ran the update this weekend. To my dismay I GOT THE DREADED 99% COMPLTE ERROR!!! I burned about 4 or 5 different brand CD's to try to get it to run, but had no luck. Just as I was about to rip the hair out of my head, I came across ducatiboy's post that suggested extracting the iso to your hard drive then burning the files to a CD. I did this, inserted the CD in the Z1, restarted it and IT WORKED!!!! So, to sum it all up, if you get the 99% error all hope is not lost. Simply follow ducatiboy's suggestion, insert the new CD, restart the Z1 and everything is fine.

Ducatiboy, you are a life-saver!!! Thank you!!

Today I did the update Bluetooth fix. Everything went fine until the reboot. 99% !!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried everything burned another copy actually burned 5 different copies with different settings under NERO but none was working. Thank GOD I came across this posting and believe me it changed my life... lol.

If you have the 99% problem try extracting the files from ISO to a temp folder and put them in to burning DATA CD-R option on NERO and 99% is gone. Also I had no echo at all with Motorola razor. My actual phone Alcatel OS850 connects to Avic Z1 but in 5 second disconnects again, looks like it is not supported under Pioneer.

Thanks guys for all the postings which help us in every problem we have.

• 2 months later...

Is there a replacement Microphone that anyone would recommend to be used with the Z1 that would work better?? What about removing the file that stops the flash Bypass from the Upgrade CD?? Has anyone seen the external Speaker just for use with the bluetooth adapter? do u think that would cut down the amount of echo??