AVIC411.com

Backup Camera Issues need help

This is not my first install of the Avic Z2, I had it in my old Trailblazer SS and it worked 100% no issues. I just installed it in my SRT-10 Ram and everything was just as before except for the camera will flash on at will. No ryme or reason it just switches on then back off. I checked all grounds and I even switched the hookup from the radio harness backup sencor to the rear backup light it's self. Still the same issue not sure what it could be. I even tried to use a 1/2 amp diod to keep feedback from turning it on but it was no help.

I curently have the power wire of the camera hooked to an ignition lead and grounded to the frame, this allows the Avic to be able to use the rear view mode while driving.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mat

mswartz@borcherding.com

I have not heard of this issue. I would try to disconnect the reverse wire from the Z and see if it still switches randomly to the backup camera. This will tell you if the signal is coming from the reverse wire, or something internal to the Z. If the problem stops, maybe there is a short in your backup lights and they are also flashing on randomly.

I unhooked the power and all seemed to be ok so I hooked up just the RCA to the camera and no power and the screen flashed to solid black due to the lack of power to the camera. Could the RCA have some sort of current enough to cause this? Might I need to add a ground to the RCA plug it's self?

This seems strange...

Any ideas?

Mat

I curently have the power wire of the camera hooked to an ignition lead and grounded to the frame, this allows the Avic to be able to use the rear view mode while driving.

I'm a little confused with your setup.... you spliced into the reverse lights? And I'm assuming that there is a switch involved between this? To be able to switch to full screen rear view...IE..fool it into thinking it's in reverse while cruising down the road(forward)? Correct?

Could be a faulty switch, and/or bad connection at the switch...

The diode is a great idea...so regardless... I would keep that in the loop...

It now seems to be the Avic Z, I unhooked the camera and RCA's from the Z and it still flashes to the black screen you get for the camera when not hooked up. I am using the reverse signal wire in the radio wiring harness. I will try the diod on the harness and see if that corrects this. Not a big deal to see the camera flash for a second every now and again but I want to fix it if possible,

If I use the reverse signal from the actual lights how would I be able to use the feature that shows the camera view from the Map View Selection Screen? I also would like to tie a second camera in for a front view to show the curb as I pull up to park, could I use a Y splitter to the backup (brown) RCA connector and then put a momentary switch to power it on and off. (Or is this a stretch)

Mat

In order to make the camera work, you need several connections:

1. Power for the camera: ignition power. should have voltage anytime the car is on.

2. Ground for the camera: any ground

3. RCA for the video.

With these 3 connections, you can change the map view anytime to view the camera.

4. Not part of the camera, but very important. the reverse wire from the vehicle that goes directly to the Z. This is how the Z determines that you are in reverse and switches the display automatically to "rear view".

• 3 months later...

As previously stated, make sure the reverse wire is connected correctly.

If the reverse wire was set to receive a ground signal to trigger the backup screen, and that wire was left loose behind the dash. Every time that wire comes into contact with a ground your screen will change. Just a thought. I had this happen to me with a mute wire on an older radio I had.

• 4 years later...

In order to make the camera work, you need several connections:

1. Power for the camera: ignition power. should have voltage anytime the car is on.

2. Ground for the camera: any ground

3. RCA for the video.

With these 3 connections, you can change the map view anytime to view the camera.

4. Not part of the camera, but very important. the reverse wire from the vehicle that goes directly to the Z. This is how the Z determines that you are in reverse and switches the display automatically to "rear view".

Have you seen an issue where the camera sometimes works sometimes not when going into reverse?  Occasionally I get a solid black or weird multicolored screen when switching the car into reverse.  The screen is working as I can see all relevant information (see image).  If I go into the setting disable/enable the camera sometimes that corrects the issue, other times restarting the car fixes it. But totally hit or miss...10626414_10153144769359739_6940230002016

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

You think YOU'RE late!? I'm 3 years late on this thread but this problem started happening to me a couple months ago on my 120BT. My system has been untouched for several years but late last year, the camera occasionally quit showing up when shifting into reverse. My connection is directly to the Reverse Light circuit and it has worked flawlessly since installation (both the camera and the backup lights). The first time the camera disappeared, I checked the little red Pioneer splicing block to see if it had come loose. I opened it up, it looked fine so I squeezed it shut again and the camera seemed to work for a while but disappeared again a couple weeks later.

Yesterday, I opened up the splice block again and soldered the Pioneer sensing wire directly to the Reverse Light power wire. Still no good. I then checked to see if voltage was getting past the Pioneer resistor/fuse and it measured 12v with the car shifted into Reverse. Like others, I assumed that this resistor was there to drop the voltage going back to the HU, but maybe not. But, here's the weird part: I can go into the Settings Menu and turn the camera on and off with no problem. I'm stumped. Did anybody figure this one out?

• 2 years later...