AVIC411.com

The real trick is going to be how to control it. Do other smartphones have a dock that allows remote commands, etc to be passed? I don't mean "multimedia" docks, if it just passes audio like a lot of devices there's going to be no way for the Pandora app to work like it does for the iPhone.

The reason the iPhone gets all the cool integration is because of it's app store (which other devices have now) and well-documented dock API that allows commands to be sent and received from the device (which other devices don't have to my knowledge). I know the Droid has a dock, but it's more or less straight usb - you can transfer files over it, and charge it, but I don't know if there is a robust way to transfer commands back and forth over it. I know you could technically do so over USB but it's whether the phone OS supports it that matters. I'm sure Pioneer is trying to figure out the same thing.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone updated to the new Pandora (not PandoraLink) on the iPhone yet? I don't want to do it if it breaks PandoraLink, but PandoraLink is kinda touchy right now so I wanted to try it out.

By touchy I mean it seems that about 1/3-1/4 of the time Pandora will connect, then throw up a message that the app is having trouble communicating with the iPhone or something. Then I have to unplug the iPhone and replug it. I'm using the stock Pioneer brand iPhone cable, the $50 one, and it works fine with regular iPhone playback, so I'm assuming it's a PandoraLink bug.

The real trick is going to be how to control it. Do other smartphones have a dock that allows remote commands, etc to be passed? I don't mean "multimedia" docks, if it just passes audio like a lot of devices there's going to be no way for the Pandora app to work like it does for the iPhone.

The reason the iPhone gets all the cool integration is because of it's app store (which other devices have now) and well-documented dock API that allows commands to be sent and received from the device (which other devices don't have to my knowledge). I know the Droid has a dock, but it's more or less straight usb - you can transfer files over it, and charge it, but I don't know if there is a robust way to transfer commands back and forth over it. I know you could technically do so over USB but it's whether the phone OS supports it that matters. I'm sure Pioneer is trying to figure out the same thing.

It can use bluetooth, Blackberries, WinMo phones, and Droid all FULLY use A2DP (Stero Bluetooth). I control play pause and skip all through my bluetooth headset, it even has caller ID.

That's not AD2P that does that. That's AVRCP, the remote profile. In order to do what it would need to do for this it'd need to support AVRCP 1.3/1.4 at a minimum, which includes advanced metadata and playlist support. The Pioneer only supports 1.0 - that gives you your play/pause/etc over Bluetooth but not much else. Also I believe Android is only AVRCP 1.0 as well. AVRCP beyond 1.0 is pretty cutting edge right now.

Bottom line is, both devices will need to support AVRCP 1.3 at a bare minimum, 1.4 if you want playlist support, and also BIP (Basic Image Profile) for album art support, in order for PandoraLink and other functions to work like they do for the iPod. I'm not saying it's impossible, far from it, but given Pioneer's track record I find it unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE it if, for example, Android had the same media support the iPhone does....but I'm not holding my breath.

I think you can also bluetooth pandora though the X920BT. But I dont think doing it that way will allow you controls on the navi to work.

You can also use the pandora port to run slacker radio too. But again, you loose onscreen thumbs up and down on the navi.

Overall, Im not happy with Pandora. It seems like they play the same songs over and over and over again no matter how many channels you have. It also throws some odd songs into custom channels. For example, I have a Lil Wayne station and its playing Clearance clearwater whatever the hell they are called. As well as some rolling stone songs...

I wish slacker or the iphone jailbreak community would relase a app that would allow us to use the pandora port on our navi to run slacker. I dont care about it saying pandora. I just want to run slacker though my navi and have thumbs up or down ability.

I wish slacker or the iphone jailbreak community would relase a app that would allow us to use the pandora port on our navi to run slacker.

I seriously doubt any phone app could do that without a specific interface for it on the unit.

You see, I tried to run slacker radio via the pandora option on my X920BT. The music plays, but I get no on screen (which I knew I wasnt going to get) but I was hoping the track up and down button either on my X920 or steering wheel controls would work for slacker. They did not.

I then played slacker radio via the IPOD option on my X920Bt and slacker radio played fine. No onscreen controls of course, but I was more interested to see if track up or down would skips songs on slacker. The controls did not work.

Then I tried music controls (program on cydia) to see if allowed track up or down on the navi screen (or steering wheel controls) to skips songs on Slacker radio. That did not work either. Although, that program does seem to offer SOME ipod like controls for slacker. For example, I think it said you could use your apple head phone (with mic and skip up and back rocker toggle) to change songs on slacker. So I contacted the developer of Music controls and he said that ipod intercepted controls might be possible in OS4.0!!! So if Im running my slacker via my iphone and have my deck in ipod mode, I should be able to AT least track up and down to skip songs!

Im sure some hacker will figure out a way to make a link for slacker radio to be able to accept ipod controls for use with slacker radio.

THe pandora link works fine for me, but there music is SO REPETITIVE! Lil wayne station on mine is playing 60's music! CCR and OLD rolling stone songs? WTF is that pandora? And thats why Im asking about slacker.

It will not work without an interface designed for the unit. And Pandora is likely the only interface your going to see for an iPhone app for some time.

That makes sense, but Im not really looking for a slacker radio interface. I just want the pandora interface to work with slacker radio. Actually... all I really want is the track up and back buttons to work. Either the ones on the radio, or the ones on my steering wheel. I dont even need the onscreen thumbs up and down. Just the track up or back on the radio or my steering wheel controls.

OR have the IPOD interface controls to work with slacker. And again, just track up or back.

That doesnt seem like something a whole new interface needs to be designed for?? Perhaps I should take this thought/request up with the jailbreak community to see whats else might be out there. It seems "music controls" for the iphone jailbreak community is looking into this for OS4, so it would seem I'm not alone.

Anyways... cheers and thanks!

That doesnt seem like something a whole new interface needs to be designed for??

Thats exactly what it will require. There is no app, jailbreak or not that is going to change that. There will have to be an interface from the unit to the app on the phone for it to work.

If you've contacted the dev for the Music Control app, then he/she should be able to incorporate at least track up/down for the Slacker App.... If he/she can do it for Pandora via BT(not PL)...then he/she should be able to include the slacker app.... although you will have to be in IPod mode, I'm sure....<---have yet to get the new interface(z110BT)...

Also... I've had some random stations pop up on my Pandora..... I at first thought it was from a previous phone that I have sold.... in which I knew the person, and realized that even after a restore... it still retains my info, if/when they download the Pandora app...

I contacted Pandora about this...<--I personally think they may have been hacked, or my username/password had been compromised...

On 6/4/10 8:02 AM, DawgBone wrote:

> -IPhone 3GS

>

> -Windows 7 using either Google Chrome or IE8

>

> Hi,

>

> I’ve noticed several stations that I did not choose, appear on my

> account, on several occasions(nearly daily). I don’t know if it’s from

> either a previous IPhone that I’ve sold, and it retained my Pandora

> info after a restore… Or if someone has somehow hacked at my account…

>

> Regardless, I would like to change my password, yet I cannot for the

> life of me find where/how to do it, whether from my IPhone or PC…

>

> I also read through the FAQ’s…

>

> Any help is greatly appreciated…

>

> Thanks again…

>

> DawgBone

Hi DawgBone,

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Does anyone else have access to your computer, or have you ever signed in on a public or shared computer? A quirk about the Flash Player (which runs the Pandora music player in your browser) is that Flash Local Storage (where all of your Pandora log-in information is stored) keeps you signed into your account on that particular computer. So if you've ever used Pandora at another location, then you might have remained signed into your account there. Staying signed in can happen on devices as well. This could explain why stations have been added or deleted.

This makes it *essential* to sign out whenever you are done listening to Pandora on a shared or potentially shared computer or device. We have emphasized this point in our FAQ, for instance in:

http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/61.html

I've reset the password on the account to: $$$$$$$$$

If someone else is accessing your account on a computer, resetting your password will kick them out of your account. With devices, however, this may not work. An association is made between your account and the device based on the Device ID. So if you have sold an older device and were not signed out of Pandora, the next user may automatically be signed in to your account. Since the association is based on the device ID, changing the password does not work to remove them. This could also happen if you signed into your account on a friend or a family member's device and forgot to sign out.

I've gone ahead and removed all 6 iphone device associations from your account (!) This will include the one you currently have, which means you will need to sign in the next time you open the app. If someone else has been using your account on another device, they will be forced out of your account as well. Since they do not have your password, they will not be able to sign into your account.

Moving forward, I suggest that you sign into Pandora on your computer and change your password to something entirely new (and hard to guess).

Go to http://www.pandora.com and sign in, then click on the word "account" in the upper right hand corner of the page. From there, you can change all your registration information (including your password).

Make sure to hit 'Save' when you're done.

If you are signed into someone else's device (or if you are selling an older one) then make sure to sign out of your Pandora account once you are done.

Hope this helps. Thanks for listening!

Thank you Pandora.....

Hopefully that'll solve the issue... I did eventually figure out how to change the password, by going through the "player's" page and not the Profile page...

Unfortunately, I have never signed into Pandora from any shared machine or device. Actually, I have never used a shared PC(internet café or whatever they're called)... I did however sell a previous IPhone, in which I did a restore on before handing it over. I know the person, and when she installed Pandora, we then realized that a restore does not erase my Pandora credentials.... We have since, sign me out of the phone and created her own account... The bad thing here is that, 1)that was over a year ago.... and 2)I know her, and she does not listen to the rap stations that has been popping up on my account...

Hopefully, deleting all the associated devices and changing my password will fix the problem...

Thanks again for your help...

DawgBone