AVIC411.com

Does anyone here regret thier Z1 or wish they went diff unit

Sort of an unfair statement. Every navigation in Japan is better than here because the entire country is smaller in area than california so its much easier to map. Not to mention its so densly populated already that they don't have nearly the construction that the US does. The Pioneer nav over there also blows away anything here and will even give you 3D building views including the height of buildings. Very cool looking

Point #2 The kenwood add-on navigation KNAG510 in the united states is made by garmin so you're in luck

I had a Garmin before buying a new truck with a double din opening and putting in the Z1. The Pioneer unit is nice in that it is an all-in-one unit, but the Garmin blew it out of the water in navigating. The Pioneer is feeble at best.

If Kenwood ever releases the double din that you can get in Japan over here I would dump the Pioneer in a minute and get the Kenwood. Their navigation is made by Garmin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looooooooooooooooooove mine! The disabled features pissed me off at first, but they are easy enough to get around. Once you do that, you will really dig it. If I had to buy one tomorrow I'd get the same one.

I am wondering what's to come in the AVIC Z2 from the Consumer Electronics show. When I saw it profiled, it didn't seem like there was anything different, but we'll see. Anyone have any info on this? I also did the online customer feedback thing... wonder if they have taken any of our feedback into account? Seemed like they asked about video iPod capabilities. That could be cool.

After using the unit for some time now I have to say, buying it was the worst decision I have made in some time. I got it with the BT car phone kit and iPod interface and am disappointed with it all. If I thought I could get $1300 for it all I would dump it in a second.

Sorry to those who love it, I just am not impressed.

Well, I've installed several different nav systems, including Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse, Jensen, older Pioneer, Magellan, even an InDash PC system with an Atlas database, and I'll say, with all it's faults, I like the Pioneer because it seems to have the easiest GUI to understand, and the controls are somewhat more intuitive than the others. Happy with mine. I even liked my old AVIC-90 with the AVH-P7300DVD (although the 'no volume control on the unit only by remote' idea was one of the dumbest i have seen in my 20 years installing mobile electronics).

I had a Garmin before buying a new truck with a double din opening and putting in the Z1. The Pioneer unit is nice in that it is an all-in-one unit, but the Garmin blew it out of the water in navigating. The Pioneer is feeble at best.

If Kenwood ever releases the double din that you can get in Japan over here I would dump the Pioneer in a minute and get the Kenwood. Their navigation is made by Garmin.

Kenwood is coming out with a new all-in-one navigation unit, the DNX7100.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/List ... 0&pr=2759#

post-1593-1287275160911_thumb.jpg

No navi info on that Kenwood page. Wonder if that means they haven't updated their site in a while, or is that unit a super-prototype and they don't know what software it will have? Cosmetics are sweet though, very Z1 like

Kenwood is coming out with a new all-in-one navigation unit, the DNX7100.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/List ... 0&pr=2759#

• 1 month later...

I used/tested a Z1 quite extensively before buying a 2nd Eclipse unit(a 5500). I love a lot of the features of the Pioneers, but my #1 main concern is a useable NAV unit as I travel a lot, & as far as I'm concerned the Pioneer is basically useless in this regard.

A neighbor of mine has a Z1 in his MDX & we have compared the two units at lenght & the Z1 is totally incapable of calculating an intelligent route from point A to point B(the Eclipse is superb in this regard).

If Pioneer drastically improves the NAV function of the new Z2, I still may swap out my Eclipse for that unit but it will have to be dramatically better than the Z1 for me to even consider it.

~John

I'm about 60% happy with the Z1. My hugh disappointment comes with its inability to give us accurate routes. Re-routes are even worse at times. I'm tired of hearing - "Turn right and make a legal U-Turn." I thought that I was upgrading when I purchased the Z1 from my Garmin 2720. Boy was I wrong! Garmin knows GPS!!!! Routes on it were right on the money every time and if you took a different route it would recalulate it perfectly. The other thing that the Z1 falls its face is the estimating the arrivial times. Mine is always at least 50% to much. I've adjusted the speed settings and tried two different connections to the speed wire, to no avail. Garmin was right to the minute every time. The "learn" feature is a joke also. I've been traveling the same route for 4 months now and it still wants to take me 20 miles out of my way. :cry:

I also really enjoyed being able to add POI's to the Garmin, I added thousands of them to that unit. It was easy with the garmin, as all you had to do was connect a usb cable to your computer/unit and download them. I know, my Honda Pilot is to big to get into the house as most likely your rig is also, but maybe they could make it so that we could burn them to a CD and them install them into the unit. After all, if it can copy music, why can't it copy POI's? They have done a good job of getting POI's, however, sometimes you just need special ones in your unit, like for myself, if I'm on a trip and blow the seat out of my pants, I need to be able to find the nearest Big & Tall Man's shop - Z1 dosen't provide that (ya, I know - take extra ones with you).

I eagerly await the new update in hopes that they correct these issues. I know and understand that the Z1 was their first release of a Nav unit. In time it should be up to par with Garmin. What good is an expensive Nav unit that can't Nav???? Sure I like all the other feature of the thing, but they have to get the main feature up to snuff. I don't know, is it plagiarsism if they copy Garmins technology? If it's not, then get on it boys.

A concern I have with the new Z2 is that 80%+ is going to be map updates. Granted, that is needed, but again I sure hope they have done a lot of improvements on how the Nav section works.

Bottom line is that, yes I will update, but probably have my Garmin close by in case I want to take a trip. :wink:

Not to change the subject of this thread, but we need a spell checker on here. Man, how did you say to spell "IBM?"

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, the navigation software was made by a Canadian company. No offense to anyone, but what do Canadians know about US maps? Where are they getting their data from? My cousin's neighborhood was built in 2001/2002. The spelling for the street names in his neighborhood was often off. One of the street name was suppose to be Fairfield, but according to the AVIC-N2 and Z1, the street's name is Fairchild.

I don't think the Z1 was Pioneer's first navigation system. I believe the N1 was their first, running the CNDV40MP software. Perhaps, if possible, Pioneer would contract a different navigation software company and make it so that we can reformat the hard drive with the new software. I had my N2 for a long time, and recently upgraded to the Z1. So far, the street's names in my cousins neighborhood has not been fixed. I haven't done too much navigating with the Z1 yet, but with the N2, there was only one time where the POI threw us off. We were looking for a nearby Claim Jumper Restaurant in the San Diego area. Although we were only 3.5 mile away from where the restaurant actually is, my N2 took us to a deserted area. We were just about to turn around and head to a different location when we found the restaurant, accidentally, about a mile from where the N2 took us. It was all the software's fault. It would be nice if the navigation software company would just make the software OPEN SOURCE. That way we can do our own editing of whatever is not correct with the program.