AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Location Question

[quote name="solrackm"]I put mines in front of the sunroof.[/quote]
oh so it can be mounted outside? hmm...i never really thought of that.
is there a place that i shouldnt mount it? i know under the dash with lots of metal is a bad place, but any other ideas?
I put mine on my trunk but when put the wire in my trunk run it to the front of the car....i have a problem when it rains it leaks water in my trunk only when i open my trunk.....anybody have any ideas on how to stop the water form coming in my trunk........thanks
[quote name="maxse"]Guys any1 mount it under the front dash? Im getting mine installed soon and the installer says that both XM and GPS will be fine underneath the front dash.[/quote]

That's news to me. I have never had either antenna work properly mounted under the dash of any car. They need at least a line of site to the sky to work, be it through a window or outside. I'd seriously think about getting it installed somewhere else. Sounds like the installer is trying to be lazy
I used to have a GPS antenna and Sirius antenna in my car, they were under my fiberglass top (jeep wrangler). They will work just fine, so long as there is no metal. Line of site will work through glass, plastic, etc. Just not metal, steel, aluminum, etc.

Its not IR so its not 100 percent unobstructed view, its just not covered by metal of any sort.
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="cntrylvr79"] [quote name="maxse"]Guys any1 mount it under the front dash? Im getting mine installed soon and the installer says that both XM and GPS will be fine underneath the front dash.[/quote]

That's news to me. I have never had either antenna work properly mounted under the dash of any car. They need at least a line of site to the sky to work, be it through a window or outside. I'd seriously think about getting it installed somewhere else. Sounds like the installer is trying to be lazy[/quote]

I have TWO vehicles with XM antennas under the dash and one with GPS under the dash. They work perfectly with maximum strength signals. Two things you need to do. (1) Make sure there is no metal above your antenna. (2) make sure you affix the antenna to a piece of metal. You can cut a piece of sheet metal about 3" by 3" and mount that with adhesive, velcro, etc. Then just stick your antenna to the top of it. I promise you that you will be very satisfied and you won't have an external indication of what's in your car.
[quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="cntrylvr79"] [quote name="maxse"]Guys any1 mount it under the front dash? Im getting mine installed soon and the installer says that both XM and GPS will be fine underneath the front dash.[/quote]

That's news to me. I have never had either antenna work properly mounted under the dash of any car. They need at least a line of site to the sky to work, be it through a window or outside. I'd seriously think about getting it installed somewhere else. Sounds like the installer is trying to be lazy[/quote]

I have TWO vehicles with XM antennas under the dash and one with GPS under the dash. They work perfectly with maximum strength signals. Two things you need to do. (1) Make sure there is no metal above your antenna. (2) make sure you affix the antenna to a piece of metal. You can cut a piece of sheet metal about 3" by 3" and mount that with adhesive, velcro, etc. Then just stick your antenna to the top of it. I promise you that you will be very satisfied and you won't have an external indication of what's in your car.[/quote]

What is the 3x3 piece of metal suppose to do?