AVIC411.com

Z2 Announced

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: They company that installed my Z1 March of last year went to Pioneers new products debut and he said that the Z2 will not be worth changing out the Z1 that it will have only software updates which most of them will be updated on the Z1 around the same time. I wanted to have mine put in my wifes Altima and then get a Z2 but I think I will wait and see what it really has.. but even a few internet sites are saying its not a big update from the Z1 just some software updates...

I might get crap for saying this..but this is absolutely useless. Basically it's a Z1 with a new number. Bugs me why they emphasize this learning thing so much like it's a new feature on the Z2. The least they could've done is address the iPod issue (i don't know about other people but it seems to be a common complaint [look for review on the CD-IB100II]) even if it meant a hardware change. I mean after all this is the upgraded to the Z1 is it not?...oh it isn't nevermind.

Having collected the laurels for Car Tech's Best of CES last year with its Avic-Z1 in-dash navigation and multimedia system, Pioneer is using this year's show to launch the Avic-Z2. The Z2 builds on the basic design of the Z1 and offers a range of upgraded features: a learning capability, which remembers roads frequently traveled by the driver and incorporates these preferences into suggested routes when applicable; a smart routing algorithm that takes into account factors such as posted speed limits and the number of turns to reach the destination, to give a more accurate estimate of journey time; and lane information for 50 areas of the country, which advises drivers of the correct driving lane they should be in for passage through interchanges and exits.

(Credit: Pioneer)Like that in the Avic-Z1, the Z2's hard drive-based navigation system also integrates XM NavTraffic (a separate XM subscription is required), which provides real-time information on traffic flow and accidents. The Z2 also features advanced voice recognition, brand icons for retail stores, 3D icons for points of interest, and text-to-voice technology, which reads aloud road names as well as turn directions and distances.

On the digital media front, Z2 ups its amount of media storage space to 10GB, while retaining the ability to play DVDs, CDs, MP3 discs, and iPod input. The Avic-Z2 will appear in stores in April with a price tag of $2,200.

I'll take, "So What's The Difference" for $200, Alex.

This isn't really news, Pioneer never makes hardware changes to their nav systems after one generation, it is always just a software update--Nothing surprising here. Took two years to revamp the D series, and two to barely change the N series before sending it out for a third. It has always been an update to the maps

So, if they are 2,000 what is the 500 dollar upgrade from the Z1?

Do you guys think the software will cost 500, if there is a software update?

I'm leaning towards the Z1 if you plan on making a purchase for one or the other...

I'm still eager to hear some bad-ass new features, so whoever is at CES right now please report what you finD!! :)

I read the D3 info at http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable ... 226735.php.

I see D3 is a big upgrade from D2 and now includes bluetooth and DVD. So how is Z1/Z2 any different from D3 then?

I agree with everyone that Z2 differences could just be an updated TeleAtlas map with some very minor software updates. Most likely they have the bluetooth fix and hopefully ipod fix. They will NOT announce at Z2 update that they have 'FIXED' issues - that will not read very well in CES. So I assume when they provide the Z1 update in March/Apr, they will surely have the latest maps, and hopefully the BT and the Ipod fix.

I don't think the IPod adapters are the issue here, it is the software on the Z1. So they fix that with updated software.

Back to my original question, now what is the difference between D3 and Z1?

Agreed. With no hard drive you will have no music storage. Also, there is only one disk slot so you will have to take the nav disk in and out like the N series to watch movies or listen to a CD in the unit. The hard drive in the Z1 adds things like text to speech, quicker routing time, and various other things to the Z1 that the D3 will probably not have

You misunderstood--The Z2 will have a lower retail price and cost than the Z1. Electronics always depreciate like that. Z1 MSRP was 2500, Z2 will apparently be 2200. Z2 retail $2249, Z2 will be less. Previous pioneer software upgrades have been around $250 retail, so if you can get an awesome deal on a Z1 now, and buy the software upgrade when it comes out, you will end up with the same deck

So, if they are 2,000 what is the 500 dollar upgrade from the Z1?

Do you guys think the software will cost 500, if there is a software update?

I'm leaning towards the Z1 if you plan on making a purchase for one or the other...

I'm still eager to hear some bad-ass new features, so whoever is at CES right now please report what you finD!! :)

You misunderstood--The Z2 will have a lower retail price and cost than the Z1. Electronics always depreciate like that. Z1 MSRP was 2500, Z2 will apparently be 2200. Z2 retail $2249, Z2 will be less. Previous pioneer software upgrades have been around $250 retail, so if you can get an awesome deal on a Z1 now, and buy the software upgrade when it comes out, you will end up with the same deck

The original price for the Z1 was also $2249/$2250

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 61,00.html

http://www.gadgetell.com/2006/05/pionee ... -dash-gps/

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060629/0137565.html

It would be nice to get the update to the Z1's to make them Z2's. It might even be something that might be posted to a online site for people to download for free. Once one gets out they might be shared. That would be illegal but you never know.

I just installed a Z1 with a December 2006 build. I did notice one difference in the AV button (the button to the left of the Menu button). There is a slightly raised portion of the button. I guess this is similar to a keyboard so you know how to orient yourself without looking at the unit. I've only had it in for a couple of days. I have to return it to the owner this Friday. I'll play with it more to see if I see any other differences.

Actually MSRP was $2500, MAP was $2250. The Z2 MSRP is $2200, so MAP will be lower. Just like every consumer electronics brand, MSRP is inflated over what it will really sell for at authorized dealers

The original price for the Z1 was also $2249/$2250

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 61,00.html

http://www.gadgetell.com/2006/05/pionee ... -dash-gps/

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060629/0137565.html

It would be nice to get the update to the Z1's to make them Z2's. It might even be something that might be posted to a online site for people to download for free. Once one gets out they might be shared. That would be illegal but you never know.