AVIC411.com

Z2 Announced

As for the DVD portion, I don't know for sure that it would just be a software change. The D3 and 5900DVD are both $1000 and they play mp3 DVD so I think its just an outdated drive in the Z1/2

This is a legal decision by Pioneer. I read where they stated they could not control piracy if they supported MP3s on the Z1. Ripping an audio CD they can claim the owner must have had an original. They simply don't want to get sued by the RIAA.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the DVD portion, I don't know for sure that it would just be a software change. The D3 and 5900DVD are both $1000 and they play mp3 DVD so I think its just an outdated drive in the Z1/2

This is a legal decision by Pioneer. I read where they stated they could not control piracy if they supported MP3s on the Z1. Ripping an audio CD they can claim the owner must have had an original. They simply don't want to get sued by the RIAA.

How would this differ from all the MP3 players that are on the market?

The Pioneer inno XM radio plays MP3... again how would this differ?

I think they are holding off on this feature to be a selling point on a newer model. Should have been the Z2 but I guess its going to be the Z3.

I hope Pioneer really doesn't believe that because that's BS. The Z1's manual states that audio CD-Rs cannot be ripped to the HDD but no one here has ever had a problem ripping CD-Rs. And I bet most of these CD-Rs were made from pirated MP3s. If they're were really watching their asses, they would have been strict on the "only original CD" ripping part. Pioneer is just as bad as Verizon with all the feature crippling. If they wanted to, all they have to do is a software update that enables MP3 playback on the HDD and DVDs. We know it's capable of reading MP3s on CD-Rs, why not DVDs and the HDD?

Don't know if it was mentioned here, but I met with the Pioneer folks at CES and the 2-DVD upgrade to make the Z1 EXACTLY the same as the Z2 will be $200. I also met with the Tele Atlas Reps at CES (they do the maps for the AVIC, and they claim the routing algorithms and the route-learning algorithms are supposed to be a lot better than before.

TeleAtlas bought a competitor a couple of years back and have been working all this time to mesh together their two map databases. This new map update that the Z2 will have is supposed to be the intro of the combined database.

The new POI icons are nice (you actually see a McDonalds logo on the map as it comes into proximity, for example. But more importantly, they say the address routing is supposed to be much better because they assigned an actual Latitude/longitude coordinate to each physical address, making the routing much more accurate (in the past, they would split a block in sections according to number range, so if you went to #22 main st, it would route you to like the 1-50 section of main st. They say they have assigned coordinates to about 40 million addresses and that's supposed to be like 40% of all the US addresses. They expect to finish the other 60% in a year.

I guess we'll have to see how much better the routing will be once the Z2s come out and can do side by side comparisons.

$200. for a Z1 to Z2 upgrade is very reasonable, especially if the new maps are as good as they claim. So let's not talk about pirating the upgrade and discourage them from releasing it. The new maps cost Pioneer money, so it's only fair to pay an upgrade charge.

I have a 2004 Touareg with the stock NAV system (terrible maps) and they released new maps a year later that were only a minor improvement. Cost was about $250.

I bought my AVIC-Z1 back in August 2006 and I have everything that you guys are describing above. How is that possible? I have restaurant icons when I drive by McDonalds, Subway, Uno, Pizza Hut, etc. I see the icon/logo for Exxon, Chevron, Shell, etc. I have 3-D, I see water, grass, buildings and ATMs on my map.

Sorry,

I was just giving an example. I have the gas station logos too, but they added to the overall POI icon database.

To answer another question, yes routing times/estimates should be improved as well, but I believe they still use the preliminary average speeds the user sets in the settings screen for the road types.

The D3 also has a random function, which the Z series still doesn't have.

You mean functions just show up when ever and you don't know what they will be? Or when you put in a destination you can select random and it will route you to some random location...

Man, that's funny! I laughed VERY out loud at that. "I want to go to.....ah hell, I dunno where I want to go. You tell me!" [he pushes the Random button]

...I met with the Pioneer folks at CES and the 2-DVD upgrade to make the Z1 EXACTLY the same as the Z2 will be $200. I also met with the Tele Atlas Reps at CES (they do the maps for the AVIC, and they claim the routing algorithms and the route-learning algorithms are supposed to be a lot better than before.....

That's great, Bones. Thanks for giving us some solid information, straight from the source.