AVIC411.com

Z130BT bypass not working correctly

Ron and Jason,

Thank you for ALL of YOUR help!

I finally got it, I have some info that may help others that happened during this mod

I will post later tonight when i have the time, this was a bitch, but what I found out the pin insertion will help other first "timers" doing it and waybe some vets.

Joe

OK Joe! What about the post to help us out?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump.

Having the same problem.

Although, I also am getting a message that system has noticed an incorrect parking grounding...

we followed the video to a T, moved the pin, as instructed, grounded it and the parking brake wire..

If we disconnect the VSS wire, we can apply changes to the nav, but the ARROW showing my location isn't moving.

bump.

Having the same problem.

Although, I also am getting a message that system has noticed an incorrect parking grounding...

we followed the video to a T, moved the pin, as instructed, grounded it and the parking brake wire..

If we disconnect the VSS wire, we can apply changes to the nav, but the ARROW showing my location isn't moving.

You've got something wrong. VSS is optional and has nothing to do with the PB lock-out. Without VSS, you won't have dead-reconing, so it won't show movement until you get a GPS lock.

AFA bypass, either the moved mute connector is not seated, or your ground isn't good. That is asuming you didn't damage the mute wire when extracting it. And, of course, that you moved it to the right location. I can't think of any other possibilities.

Which unit do you have?

Thank you RonS, we'll have to check for that.

I have 130bt unit

I've never done the z130, but I understand the harness is different. Be sure you use the Z130 by-pass video instructions.

The best way to tell if the PB bypass is working is to go to Settings/ Navi Settings/Connection Status (see pg 150 in User Manual). If done correctly, the Parking Brake will always say "On".

If you can get to the rear of the HU with it running, you might be able to try to isolate the bad connection while watching this screen.Wiggle the PB wire in the harness. Or try a different ground point. Are you using a different ground point than the main HU ground?

Hey Ron, I installed this 130bt, and the mute wire seemed to go in smoothly. i hooked the VSS up to the correct wire in the harness, 2011 4Runner - pin 3 in 20 pin conn. My question is, how come when i disconnected the VSS wire, the arrow on the navi stopped following the map, it didnt move. Is there a setting in the unit to ignore a VSS input? I understand that it should function with out it, but the opposite is happening. I know its the correct VSS cause the arrow on hte map is extremely accurate to its relative position. Any help more advice would be great, i think im going to try to just stick a bare wire into the harness where the mute wire is to see if the connection is bad. thats the only idea i have left to try. Thanks in advance man!

Hey Ron, I installed this 130bt, and the mute wire seemed to go in smoothly. i hooked the VSS up to the correct wire in the harness, 2011 4Runner - pin 3 in 20 pin conn. My question is, how come when i disconnected the VSS wire, the arrow on the navi stopped following the map, it didnt move. Is there a setting in the unit to ignore a VSS input? I understand that it should function with out it, but the opposite is happening. I know its the correct VSS cause the arrow on hte map is extremely accurate to its relative position. Any help more advice would be great, i think im going to try to just stick a bare wire into the harness where the mute wire is to see if the connection is bad. thats the only idea i have left to try. Thanks in advance man!

Dan,

I am not a professional installer. I pretty much summed up my ideas in my previous post. I wouldn't know if that is the correct connection on a 4Runner for VSS. So you'd do better not addressing your questions to me personally. It might discourage someone else from offering ideas.

Your statements about VSS lead me to think something is really wrong. I'd leave VSS disconnected until you get everything else sorted out. Many people never connect it. It should not interfer with GPS position or the PB bypass. Neither should the PB state (bypassed or not) have anythng to do with your position on the map.

So, maybe you should forget about PB and VSS for now and figure out why your GPS is f'd up. What is your GPS signal strength and are you locking-on to the satellites? Also, are there other things that aren't working with your install? How's the sound? Can you play DVDs? Ipod, etc. I'm wondering if you have a hardware problem.

Dan is the other part of "We" in my post, actually. :)

Nav works perfectly fine right now, with "VSS" wire connected, everything else functions right.. I just get the parking message and the 5mph+ disability. but we'll look into that. Just need as many ideas as possible at this point

Hey all,

I just went through the painful experience of trying to pull out the mute wire like they did in the video...I finally got it without damaging the pin (will find out with the install tonight) but that video doesn't show you the correct way to remove the pin...I found this on youtube today, and this method of wire removal makes the job 10000x easier. I just wish I found this before I mangled the thing myself...

HOW TO CORRECTLY REMOVE THE PIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LAAN7fMfs&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...

nobody has any ideas?

how does the headunit check for grounding?

every time it is booting up, I get a message stating that the ground isn't connected properly. Can that be the cause of my issues?

Well it wouldn't boot-up if it wasn't grounded. So the message must be complaining about the PB connection (which is a path to ground) or in your case, the bypass. So:

0. But make sure your black wire is connected to a good ground. Goes without saying.

1. Make sure your light green PB wire is grounded.

2. Your moved yellow/black mute wire also needs to be grounded.

3. You can use the same pound point for 0,1,2.

4. Go to Settings/ Navi Settings/Connection Status (see pg 150 in User Manual). If done correctly, the Parking Brake will always say "On". If it doesn't - go to step 1.

5. If all that is correct and you still get the message - or you can't access numerous menu functions - like searching for a POI, then either your power harness or your HU is defective. Most likely is that the moved mute wire is not fully seated in the connector. This would be indicated if Settings/ Navi Settings/Connection Status always says "Off" or intermittently changes from "On" to "Off".

One more thing: make sure you used the right instructions for the Z130. The harness is slightly different. See the video above - although it is hard to see. Here's another

. On the Z110/Z120, you move the mute wire left one pin. On the Z130, you move it up one pin.

If you can't get it working, pull the whole thing out and bench-test it. Get a 12VDC source and connect the red and yellow wires to +12v, the black, light green, and yellow/black wires to - (ground). The HU will boot. Then go to Settings/ Navi Settings/Connection Status. See if Parking Brake says "On". If it doesn't, start checking the harness. Use a multi-meter. Connect the meter's + probe to the (ungrounded) mute wire. Touch the - probe to ground. Check for DC voltage. If OK, do the same thing with the PB wire.

Ron, i'm a wee perplexed here..

Checked the status of the parking brake - it is listed as ON all the time.

I've never seen that screen before.

I don't really understand how the HU bypass works internally (HU). But I would guess that the logic inside the HU to detect whether the PB is set is more complicated than just testing whether the PB wire is grounded. Otherwise it would easily be defeated by just grounding the PB wire. I also don't know what grounding that moved wire does that allows the PB to be bypassed. Looking at the installation instructions (the normal PB installation, I'd guess it has to do with a change in the potential between when the PB switch is open and closed. And thatthe PB bypass hack somehow fools this logic.

But the bypass works. And it is a simple mod. Not many things that can go wrong. So, my best guess is that there is a problem with the moved mute wire in the connector. I really can't add anything that I haven't already said. Verify that the moved wire is in the correct pin location. Verify it is seated. Make sure that the PB and Mute wire are grounded. The fact that the Settings say Parking Brake is "On" indicates that at least one of those wires is grounded.

Sorry I can't help more.