AVIC411.com

Disappointment

I understand in the world of electronics its like computers, and changes and upgrades come as quick as the wind changes but Im not quite understanding Pioneer's logic here. Here I sit the Proud owner of a Z1 thinking it is the Flagship of the line, And out comes the D3 and I think man this thing is nicer than mine. I now its missing a few things but look at what it does offer that the Z1 doesnt or the Z2 doesnt. I'm sitting here contemplating a change. I cant see the plus in keeping the Z.

Z1

Pro's

7 inch Screen

HD (although I wouldnt call it a major Pro other than Navi but I have a solution for the D3)

Buttons not very noticable for a clean install, I guess

Con's

Ipod integration is a Joke with 8,000 songs if I want to here song 4,762 or an artist ending in M

Hard drive is worthless for ripping a good amount of music

D3

Pro's

same options as Z minus HD (Bluetooth, Better Ipod integration, ETC,ETC)

Ipod music and Video through one connection that looks to be functional

Button color changeable on Hard and soft buttons

Solid face - no mechanical parts to break

Con's

Smaller Screen

DVD based Navigation

I believe there will soon be another Z1 on the block for sale. Im thinking D3, Pioneer Half Din 6 disc DVD-CD changer, Ipod. all for less than retail Z1 and about equal to actual Z1 -2. This eleminates the problem of having to pull the Navigation Disc out to watch DVD, Gives hopefully better functional Ipod Control, I dont mind the smaller screen, The graphics and colors alone make it look sweet and I can use the back up camera and hopefully the bluetooth from my Z1, I dont know with this set up I just cant see how the Z2 is better everyone has there own opinion but I think Im going to go this route I know DVD navigation is a little slower but I didnt really notice a difference from my N1 and the other uses of the Hardrive in my book are useless.

anyone else see anything I'm missing as to why to stick to the Z1 and Upgrade software. the only major thing I can see is I hate to give up that sweet screen but I think there to many advantages not to, I am an avid Ipod user and to be able to use Ipod music and Video without switching connection cables would be worth losing some screensize.

Is the AVIC-Z1 all that bad, or is it that the D3 is that good, especially at $1000?

I'm with you though, for the price of the D3 vs. Z1 you could buy a dedicated Ipod and the XDV-P6, have essentially a harddrive (Ipod) and multi-disc dvd/mp3/audio and never have to touch the Navi disc. Also the non-movable screen is nice. Plus the Volume knob on the D3 is hella nice.

Chris.

I don't get why everyone likes the nonmovable screen... I hate it!

The tilt on my D2 screen is is out a couple of degrees, and it makes it so much easier to use and read. I hate it when I get in the car and the screen is flat in. My D2 is also lower on the dash, so thats probably the reason, but I think Pioneer should've make a way to adjust the tilt of the screen.

After reading about the new D3 i dont see how one could go wrong? I know this is the z1's forum and i am not ripping on it in any way, but the ipod integration is a for sure solid thing that the d3 has going for it. And like sloppy said, by a changer and never worry about it again. Just my thought

I will personally buy the D3 because I am an ipod fiend, but there are reasons that I can see that people will like the Z2. Music storage is tight, if you don't have it, its sweet--stealing peoples CDs has never been easier. Bigger screen is obvious, not a a big deal to me but may be to some who like to watch movies while they run over pedestrians. Another is the navigation difference--Text to speech is cool. The D3 won't do it. Also, according to other posts on the board, TeleAtlas has actually mapped 40 million POI to the real location. When you are looking for restaurant, the Z2 will probably tell you exactly where it is, the D3 will still use postal codes or something to guess where the address it. It may be off by hundreds of feet. The other thing I am curious about the D3 is whether is can send a DVD to a rear moniter and display the "memory nav" to the front monitor at the same time. The N series would do it, but this is quite a bit cheaper so I am curious

So the D3 doesn't have the addresses for the POI's? Even the factory Nav in my Corvette had that.

I've been lurking here for a while, and have a Z1 install lined up, but I just talked to the installer, and said hold everything - The D3 is a MUCH better machine for me.

I don't need the HD, and the rotary knob appeals a lot.

Plus, I don't watch movies in my car, so the smaller/non-moveable screen and adjustable lighting contribute a lot to a more 'factory' look, which I like a lot.

The big thing though is the full speed iPod interface. Tasty!

Anyone have any idea what the REALISTIC wait on the D3 is going to be? (maybe I should ask the D3 forum, but this thread was more appropriate).

The Z2 will know exactly where the POI are, including that they are set back from the road or stripmall. The D3 should get you close enough, or at least Pioneer nav always has for me.

They stopped production of the D2 so early that I believe late March may actually happen. Hope so at least

I went back and forth on this too (Z2 vs. D3) And i actually settled on getting a cheap Z1 and will be purchasing the update when it's released. I'm all about "top of the line" and as far as that goes, the Z1/2 is clearly superior. HOWEVER, for the buck, the D3 is a very good deal, and it does have features that the Z1/2 doesn't.