AVIC411.com

Has a z140 been confirmed for CES?

Just keep in mind guys that there is always disappointment in one way or another when Pioneer offers new features on a unit. So I wouldn't expect that Android support to work the way you think it should. Nevertheless its finally good to see for all you Android people.

Yea, I am setting myself up for some level of disappointment :( I will be happy if the z130bt can be upgraded with these features, and that I can get aha radio to work wih my android. (I already have the beta aha radio software, so would be cool to get functionality on my z130bt)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question that should be asked is about the Nav software. I see that they are using Navteq now.... Does that mean they will have new Nav software? Cuz from what everyone says, the Nav on the 130 was absolutely awful.

This was just posted on Pioneer's Facebook page:

"Pioneer Electronics (North America) The main differences between last year's AVIC-Z130BT and this year's AVIC-Z140BH is the mapping now from NAVTEQ for superior navigation and improved POI search, Advanced App Mode and HD Artist Experience."

It would appear the Z130bt and below used Tele Atlas®.

This was just posted on Pioneer's Facebook page:

"Pioneer Electronics (North America) The main differences between last year's AVIC-Z130BT and this year's AVIC-Z140BH is the mapping now from NAVTEQ for superior navigation and improved POI search, Advanced App Mode and HD Artist Experience."

It would appear the Z130bt and below used Tele Atlas®.

I'm encouraged by this. Any update to the navigation should be an improvement - the Z110/120/130 have the worst navigation I've ever used.

I am working on updating my z110bt right now. I had the HD tuner go out a while ago and never had time to bring it in to be fixed (car toys) I just bought a new HD tuner and a new traffic tuner to replace the MSN direct tuner. I also bought a PAC WRI-P and a Pioneer CD-SR11. I will post in the remote thread from vblue42 how the remote works, it's supposed to work with some of the nav functions. I'm going to upgrade to the 130 software and I hope that the 140 continues the ability to upgrade.

As for the nav on this unit. It does suck. I don't even use it but I'd like to. My Google Navigation on my andried works so much easier and more accurate. But I'd love to get the Pioneer working. the problem with my smart phone is I usually know where I'm going but sure enough, just when I'm really not sure and am travelling carefully with my nav, the phone rings and boom, there goes my directions!!

I will post in the remote thread from vblue42 how the remote works, it's supposed to work with some of the nav functions.

The last time I tried, only audio functions would work. These remotes were designed for the previous Z* series with a completely different interface and different navi software.

Just a thought an observation:

In the past year and a half, i've gone from the AVIC D3, to the X930BT, to the Z120BT to my current AppRadio (crap) setup. I'm a sucker for trying things out and/or being too lazy to uninstall when I trade in a vehicle and my wallet suffers as a result.

With Pioneer's new announcements, and my experience using the above mentioned units, I think the best bang for your buck if you are sticking with Pioneer in 2012 might be the AVH-P8400BH? At first glance, it appears to have all the functionality of the Z140BH with the exception of the built in NAV. Since the advanced app mode basically includes all the AppRadio functions and allows you to use superior navigation apps, why pay the $700 premium between the 8400 and Z140? Is there something else I am missing? I must say I regret the AppRadio purchase and seeing them release an AppRadio 2 and no firmware update talk irritates me but does not surprise me...that's my own fault.

With Pioneer's new announcements, and my experience using the above mentioned units, I think the best bang for your buck if you are sticking with Pioneer in 2012 might be the AVH-P8400BH? At first glance, it appears to have all the functionality of the Z140BH with the exception of the built in NAV. Since the advanced app mode basically includes all the AppRadio functions and allows you to use superior navigation apps, why pay the $700 premium between the 8400 and Z140? Is there something else I am missing? I must say I regret the AppRadio purchase and seeing them release an AppRadio 2 and no firmware update talk irritates me but does not surprise me...that's my own fault.

I haven't tried the AppRadio based nav tools since I'm on Android, but to me - depending on your mobile carrier for navigation is workable in the city, but once you get away from the urban centers the reliability of the mobile networks is just not where it needs to be. I would be very hesitant to wander off the beaten path with a mobile navigator, the way I often do with a dedicated GPS. The majority of roads in America (by distance) does not even have 2G coverage, never mind 3G.

If you want a sat-nav, get a sat-nav.

I haven't tried the AppRadio based nav tools since I'm on Android, but to me - depending on your mobile carrier for navigation is workable in the city, but once you get away from the urban centers the reliability of the mobile networks is just not where it needs to be. I would be very hesitant to wander off the beaten path with a mobile navigator, the way I often do with a dedicated GPS. The majority of roads in America (by distance) does not even have 2G coverage, never mind 3G.

If you want a sat-nav, get a sat-nav.

Well I guess if you have a phone without a gps receiver. Most phones that provide navi have one however.

The problem is that the phone app doesn't have the maps on board, they download content from 3g or 4g as they travel. I've had this happen when I am out of the city. The phone knows where it is long/lat wise, but I get a nice little arrow in the middle of my screen representing me with the compass arrow telling me which way is north, but no map and no data to tell me where to go.

Google Navigation has partially fixed this by letting you map a route while you have good coverage, and it will cache all the map data needed to get from A to B, but you have to tell it to do so speciffically, it's not automatic. Get a big enough SD card and I guess you could cache the whole country.

Well I guess if you have a phone without a gps receiver. Most phones that provide navi have one however.

That's shortsighted. Yes, most phones have GPS receivers, but they need a data connection to download the maps. None of the popular phone based nav tools do a great job of caching the maps. Google will cache maps on the planned route, but will not download any additional data. If you veer off the planned route, you're hosed. Have you never asked your satnav to find the next gas-station? You can't do that if you're 30 miles from the nearest cell tower.

I stand by my recommendation. Unless you're guaranteed %100 data coverage, then depending on your phone for navigation is foolish.

FYI: From Pioneer's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/PioneerNorthAmerica

"Greg Kenney

Any word if the AVIC-Z130BT will have software upgrades to being it up to par with the AVIC-Z140BH as far as the navigation and advanced app mode goes?

Like· · 5 hours ago ·

• 27525_222410265918_2453_q.jpg
      Pioneer Electronics (North America) The navi upgrade will be available around the summer timeframe. The upgrade will offer NAVTEQ mapping and we will have more info on specific features in the near future.
      2 hours ago · Like"