AVIC411.com

Convince me why I should buy N3 instead of Garmin 660.

Hi, I really do like in-dash navigation but I can't seem to justify the $1400 price tag. The nuvi 660 seems to be a great unit as well but it's just not in-dash and its more portable. For more than double the price, I'm having a hard time justifying buying the n3.

Can anyone tell me what the N3 has in features that is definitely the deal breaker?

thanks

well it's pretty simple... One is superior than the other... As with ANY electronics item, There's "high end" and "low end" I'm not stating that the Garmin is low end, I haven't researched it, BUT if there is a cost difference of overa thousand dollars, it's seems pretty clear that one will pretty much blow the other out of the water... But, i haven't researched the Garmin so maybe I'm completely wrong

It all comes down to portability, XM NavTraffic, and ease of use. The Pioneer system is easy to use, especially while driving. I know the Nuvi is as well, but then GPS unit is in the dash, always available, and controls everything.

You will probably get newer maps with the Nuvi, as it seems that Pioneer only updates their maps about once a year, normally when a new headunit comes out.

I have used the Nuvi before, and I like the Pioneer map system better, especially with POI and ease of finding things on the map. Also watching DVDs (err. letting your passengers watch DVDs) while driving, and having everything at the touch of your fingers, without having wires dragging across your dash.

Also not getting pulled over in those states that don't allow radar detectors when they see the portable GPS on your dash (happened to me once).

The nice thing about the Nuvi, as with all portable GPS systems is just that, they are portable, so no matter what car you go in to, you have a GPS system with you.

I have the Pioneer AVIC-N3 in my car, and I have a bluetooth GPS module with Pocket PC software (I have a Pocket PC Phone), and use the GPS with my phone when I don't have my car to guide me.

So it all comes down to do you want indash GPS with POI search, telephone search, easy to use interface, DVD Playback, iPod Connection (possible), AUX inputs, CD Changer input control (possible), XM radio (possible), XM NavTraffic (possible and in areas where it is supported), or do you want portability?

Yeah! Everything he said..... :D

Garmin is the industry leader in navigation so, if price is the issue spend what you could afford.

The pioneer in dash systems allow for a complete compact system but not everyone is impressed with all that and you might be one of those people so talk it over with your other half and if it's in the budget flip the coin and the rest is up to you.

Good luck,

bcd1