AVIC411.com

AVIC Z140BH: Report your bugs here.

I haven't had any luck with that either. I have stations coming in full reception and nothing. Is there a way to turn the station info on and off? Also the reception can't be the issue as I get all the traffic updates. I changed my antenna hook up and still nothing. Can someone post a screen shot of their Z140 showing the station and song info? I really don't understand why its not working, my 10 year pioneer HU had it.

I've seen station info like call sign on my FM/HD dial on the Z140. I never use the regular radio, so I can't comment on other than what I saw once for 10 seconds.

EDIT: Just went out to my car and messed around with it for 5 minutes.

Here is how it works. When you tune to a station if it's Non-HD one of two things happens

1. You see nothing under the display (say 94.7)

2. You see the Call Sign (for example I'd see WCSX under 94.7)

If the station is HD (and sometimes it has to be tuned to the frequency for 5 seconds) then the following happens

You see the Call Sign (for example I'd see WCSX HD1 under 94.7)

Now in HD mode you can his DISP and it will cycle between various displays. Most stations have Call Sign, Artist Name, Song Title as the options.

You LOSE RDS Data which is what you had on the previous unit (I have a Z110 with Z130 Software). Canadian stations ONLY have RDS, they use DAB not HD Radio for "Digital Radio." I know this as I get no info on the Z140 for 88.7 and 93.9 both Windsor, ON, Canada stations, but on my Z130 I get RDS info.

The HD Module is also why the presets all say CH1-CH6 not the frequency or Call Sign/RDS data like they do on the earlier models. It appears the HD Module has pluses and minuses.

Your no signal issue might be you have the Tuner in "HD Only" mode. If it can't find an HD signal it cuts the radio out. Keep it on "blended."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen station info like call sign on my FM/HD dial on the Z140. I never use the regular radio, so I can't comment on other than what I saw once for 10 seconds.

EDIT: Just went out to my car and messed around with it for 5 minutes.

Here is how it works. When you tune to a station if it's Non-HD one of two things happens

1. You see nothing under the display (say 94.7)

2. You see the Call Sign (for example I'd see WCSX under 94.7)

If the station is HD (and sometimes it has to be tuned to the frequency for 5 seconds) then the following happens

You see the Call Sign (for example I'd see WCSX HD1 under 94.7)

Now in HD mode you can his DISP and it will cycle between various displays. Most stations have Call Sign, Artist Name, Song Title as the options.

You LOSE RDS Data which is what you had on the previous unit (I have a Z110 with Z130 Software). Canadian stations ONLY have RDS, they use DAB not HD Radio for "Digital Radio." I know this as I get no info on the Z140 for 88.7 and 93.9 both Windsor, ON, Canada stations, but on my Z130 I get RDS info.

The HD Module is also why the presets all say CH1-CH6 not the frequency or Call Sign/RDS data like they do on the earlier models. It appears the HD Module has pluses and minuses.

Your no signal issue might be you have the Tuner in "HD Only" mode. If it can't find an HD signal it cuts the radio out. Keep it on "blended."

Thanks for that. I have played with every setting and I have switched between analog and blended with no luck. I guess it must just be that the Z140 can't get the data through an analog station. Thats mighty disappointing. Thanks for the help though.

The 140 does the same thing. No RDS info. Kinda anyoing. special when you cant set preset names. Is the digital radio the external box? What happens if you remove that box and plug antenna right in the deck? Will RDS work that way? If so you could program your presets and get the RDS info? Just a thought.

Mike

I have a noticed a bug in the bluetooth when streaming audio. IT seems that the connection status always says connecting and never connected but it still stream fine. See picutre

Is this repeatable?

I don't have an Iphone, but I will try it on my Android and see if this is the case on my setup as well. If it is, then we've found ourselves a bug.

The 140 does the same thing. No RDS info. Kinda anyoing. special when you cant set preset names. Is the digital radio the external box? What happens if you remove that box and plug antenna right in the deck? Will RDS work that way? If so you could program your presets and get the RDS info? Just a thought.

Mike

You can't because of the traffic box. The antenna connects into that. And I haven't been able to find a way to program any station info. This might be a defect, I had RDS on my HU from 8 years ago, I don't get why this one doesn't work in Canada.

Please read my post above about RDS info.

With the 140BH since you have the HD module built in you lose RDS info and the presets will only say CH1-CH6. This is how it is suppose to work acording to Pioneer, it's not a bug. So in Canada you lose functionality since HD Radio isn't really used (DAB is)

The external box is the traffic info. The HD radio is built into the HU on the Z140BH. If you don't want HD you need to buy a X940BT or a Z130BT.

Hey guys - I dont know if this is something specific to this model or all avics - or if there is a setting I need to find or if I have a wiring problem. But is the unit supposed to power up on the last station or device you were listening to? Mine always comes up "off" for audio. And when i turn on radio it is always at the bottom of the dial when i would think it should be on last tuned station. Im new to these avic units.

I tried to verify my power/acc lines last night and they seem to be ok but not totally sure. Yellow is switched and red is always hot, right? Or is there a setting to choose this behavior, or is this by design?

Sorry if this is a FAQ but I searched and couldn't find the answer. The keywords I could think of were pretty generic, common terms.

I tried to verify my power/acc lines last night and they seem to be ok but not totally sure. Yellow is switched and red is always hot, right? Or is there a setting to choose this behavior, or is this by design?

No, yellow is always hot, red is ACC switched.

One thing that I can't stand in the voice guidence stops about 10 miles from my house. The route and all roads are displayed properly and when I do reach the house it says that I have arrived, but the voice guidence totally stops about 10 miles out. The system says there isn't enough info in this area, but then why does it clearly show every road and turn in the road correctly? How come if I follow the colored roads it leads me right to the house, so don't tell me it doesn't have enough info. I thought the system was broken until I got about 10 miles away from the house and the voice guidence started, about scared the hell out of me. Has anyone else noticed this?

So i used the z140 nav for the first time for my trip to PA I get the traffic alerts which works great. But when i clip on the traffic icon on the rigth site of the screen it pulls up the map which is fine. But there is an option to list the traffic info. When i click on those i can not really read them. The text is grey on a black background. Is this a bug?

Mike

NCHornet,

No, I've not noticed that. Do you live in a newly developed neighborhood perhaps? I've always thought that the system had some form of artificial inteligence that figured out what voice-overs to apply by analyzing the route. Maybe that's not the case. Perhaps the map itself is a background image, but the data from the voice-over is derived from gps information and vectors. It is likely not using any sort of image processing to figure out the turn-by-turn instructions. Remember, the system can determine your route even when the vast majority of your route isn't displayed on the screen, so surely it's data and gps driven and not map image driven.

mjruotolo,

I haven't had a chance to use the traffic alerts. However, given the lack of details to other "features" on the device, the poor color choice for the text is simply poor programming, and not a bug. Perhaps the contrast and brightness settings can be adjusted slightly to make the text more visible.