AVIC411.com

Upgrading a X920/X930 to X940 Instructions

rick - did you load condis hackmode or autoreplacer? Those are two different things that do very different things ;)

look for the "avic testmode" video on youtube for how to navigate their odd file manager. It's very quirky.

you basically use the up/down (or knob) to move the file cursor, and then use the left/right (prev/next) buttons to move the function selection bar at the bottom, and then mode button to select the highlighted function at the bottom for the file that your file cursor is currently on.

if you hit home and leave file manager at any time, your copy selections are cleared

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had previously installed condi's hack mode on my unit. When I used Condi's replacer with the renewal.dll file from the pioneer site it replaced the files. However when I restarted the unit it stayed stuck on the Pioneer homepage so that did not work.

On a side note, on the weekend I had installed condi's hack mode and it told me that the AV.exe was missing and needed to be installed.

Since replacing the renewal.dll files did not get my GPS up and running I decided it would be best to manually install the files missing. I used another SD card with the super test mode key and the files I needed to have installed from the Pioneer site. It loaded into test mode successfully and I was able to select and copy the files that were on my SD card but when I went to the PROG1 folder at the root of the avic I can see the enter, select, copy, paste, delete, and help functions at the bottom of the screen but for some reason the paste function is highlighted in grey and it will not allow me to paste.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong and I'm not an expert at this but I'm able to select and copy files with no issue. I am just not able to paste. When I go into the PROG1 folder what do I do to paste the files copied from the SD card.

It's not like windows when you copy files from one folder and open another folder you can simply move your cursor onto part of the white pane and then bring up the option to paste.

Please don't give up on me yet...lol!!

nope. so watch the avic testmode video on youtube. you will have to select the folders, copy them, navigate to the destination folder, and paste them in

Here is one way to manually restore 3.001

(note that 3.x APL will not start on a system updated to 4.x, and this should not be used to update 3.x to 4.x. This is just for fixing a broken APL, i.e., by replacing with same major version that is already installed but is not booting properly. )

1. copy AVICZ110 3.001 folder to sd card that has the "testmode" TESTMODE.KEY (not scripting one from autoreplacer or 2.x hackmode) on it

2. boot up into testmode, navigate into filemanager, navigate into inside of SD\AVICZ110 folder

3. select all files and folders inside of SD\AVICZ110. "copy" them

4. navigate to inside of USER\PRG0 folder

5. "paste" the files

6. if it exists, remove USER\PRG.FLG (so that unit will boot from APL folder in PRG0)

Edited by pionara

Dumb question.....where do i find a testmode key that is not scripting

Just want to make sure I am doing this correctly

supertestmode.zip

be careful with this. dangerous stuff in there. just use file manager and dont poke on anything else unless prompted by experts ;)

The TESTMODE.KEY in 2.x Condihack and autoreplacer are "scripting" versions

Edited by pionara

Pionara you are a genuis bud!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much. I have been able to successfully restore my unit so that the GPS works and the music videos are playing again. I downloaded the Pioneer update specific to my model navigation system and unzipped the file. Loaded the file just as it was extracted onto the root of the SD card. I downloaded your testmode key. As soon as I started the car with the SD card inserted, it began to automatically update on its own and everything was right again.

Thank you so much.

Guess my last question for you Pionara is do you want to guide me through the upgrade process.

I know these are the steps to follow:

The part I am most concerned about is saving the original RenewalIFLib.dll and then editing it. Specifically what hex editor program should I use and where can I find it. Currently I have Winhex installed on my computer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to upgrade my x920 to the x940 firmware but I’ve never used testmode or hackmode before so I read up on it around the forum, pieced together all the information from various posts in different forums and figured I’d make an easier single post on how to do it. You’ll want two micro sd cards, it’s much easier this way.. I used a 1gb and an 8gb. (I recycled the 8gb one which came with my 2011 map update that I paid for from Pioneer). If you are going to recycle an old map update microsd, back up the contents to your PC first! You’re probably going to need a file from it like I did. Hopefully this makes it easier for people to perform the upgrade and you won't have to jump around to tons of posts extracting just the info you need.

Here are the steps I did.

1. I backed up the contents of my 2011 map update microSD to my PC then formatted the card.

2. Download the Z140 firmware update here: https://docs.google....wVDg/edit?pli=1

3. Extract the contents onto a large MicroSD card (I used an 8gb card)
  4. Download Condi’s RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer here:
    http://avic411.com/i...o-replacer-v10/
  5. Enter Testmode on your x920/930 by starting the unit up and pressing HOME and Rev/Fwd Rev/Fwd Rev/Fwd. (You might have to Fwd/Rev Fwd/Rev Fwd/Rev, I forget which one worked).. You’ll know it works when the screen turns black. Use the interface to copy the \USER\PRG0\APL\RenewalIFLib.dll to your SMALL EMPTY microSD card. (BE CAREFUL here, read up on how to use testmode if you aren’t familiar with it since you CAN hose your system up if you do the wrong thing here..)
  6. Copy the RenewallFLip.dll to your PC. Use a hex editor to change the offset at 1C30 from 05 00 A0 E1 to 00 00 A0 E3. If you have a prog1 folder copy the file from prog0 anyway!
  7. Save the edited version of RenewallFLib.dll to the SMALL microSD card. Extract the autoreplacer files to the small microSD card as well.
  8. Place the small microSD card into your unit and start it up. It should perform it’s magic and tell you it’s complete. If you get a red screen with an error you did something wrong.
  9. Turn the unit off, place the large microSD card in and turn the unit back on.. The unit should boot up the upgrade program and ask you to enter a 16 digit key, type any 16 digits in.

NOTE: If your unit does not boot up into upgrade mode, you need to copy the cardinfo file from an old mapupgrade and overwrite the one that’s on the root of the LARGE microSD card. I had to do this for my unit to recognize the upgrade. You’ll want to have the car running for this part as this takes 30-40 minutes to perform. It will install the x940BT firmware.

These are the steps I performed to upgrade my unit, it was very easy for me. The various links I referred to in order to understand what I was doing are below. I’m a tech and programmer as a hobby so using a hex editor and figuring out the testmode interface was a snap for me, if you aren’t comfortable using (or never have used) a hex editor.. don’t even try this.

http://avic411.com/i...10fmuc-upgrade/

http://avic411.com/i...-v11-fixed-ver/

https://docs.google....wVDg/edit?pli=1

So I have successfully backed up all the files on my unit ..... a mistake I do not plan on making in the future.

It's late now and I'm going to stop working on this for the night but I would like to know if I have to edit both RenewalIFLib.dll files - one in PRG0 and PRG1 and what is a good hex editing progam to use in order to edit line 1C30 from 05 00 A0 E1 to 00 00 A0 E3.

Once that is done do I save one or both edited files on the root of an SD card along with Condi's replacer program.

Pionara can you please let me know if I am on the right track.....don't want to make any mistakes from this point on.

you need to boot into testmode and see if the file USER\PRG.FLG is present.

Presence of this file means your unit is currently using sofware in PRG1. If it is not present, it is using software in PRG0.

If you just did an update to 3.001, then just edit the dll that was in the update. That did just get installed and your unit is running that software, right?

I use HxD, but im sure winhex would work fine.

So I checked my files early this morning and USER\PRG.FLG is present. I have successfully updated to 3.001. I take it this means that I am to make a copy of the RenewalIFLib.dll file from PRG1 and only edit this file in Winhex - I do not have to do anything to the RenewalIFLib.dll file in PRG0.

Afterwards load the single edited file from the PRG1 folder on to the root of an SD card with Condi's replacer program and stick it into the unit to update and then follow the rest of the steps accordingly?

If I missed anything, please let me know. Thanks again pionara.

Is this hack for the new firmware only or does it include the 2012 maps?

http://www.pioneerel...and AVIC-X920BT

The "hack" is just to allow you to bypass password for software updates. The software that everybody is talking about is the CNSD-310FM/UC update aka "2012 Navigation software update for US/CAN". This is update to OS, application, and of course, new 2012 maps and pois.

I must be missing something here.

My unit is an AVIC-X920BT which I hacked last year to update to the 2011 maps. I followed the instructions to update to the 2012 maps and when I put the SD with Z140 firmware I get prompted to enter the password but the unit does not recognize it.

Just to go over the instructions, I downloaded Condi’s RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 1.2. I extracted the content (all 3 files) to the root of my SD card. I booted the unit with it and I saw the script do its thing until it rebooted the unit. I later put the SD card back on my computer. As expected the TESTMODE.KEY file was deleted and 2 new files were created (RenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll and RenewalIFLib_prg1_bckp). I moved the RenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll to my computer and edited 1C30 from 05 00 A0 E1 to 00 00 A0 E3.

I put theRenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll back in the SD along with the rest of Condi’s RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 1.2 including the TESTMODE.KEY. Once again, I saw the script do its thing until it rebooted the unit. I removed and deleted the content of the SD card since I only have one and I extracted the content of Z140 firmware which contained 2 folders (FIRMWARE, Update) and the file CARDINFO.cif

When trying to boot with the SD, my unit would not boot into update mode. I followed the instructions and replaced my CARDINFO.cif with the one posted here. http://avic411.com/i...de/#entry255690

At this point, I was able to get into update mode but everytime I enter any random password key, the unit does not accept it.

What am I doing wrong?