AVIC411.com

x950bh AppRadio not working

I sold the car that I had the iPad in so I am no longer rocking that setup in the car I have now. I may revisit that idea in the future with an iPad Mini but at this point I have most of my needs with the App Radio 2. Its much easier to go with the AR2 sense I don't have be concerned with building a custom dash to accommodate an iPad.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's what stopped me was building a custom dash.  I just bought a brand new car and I wanted to keep the stock look (for now).  So, I had the installer put in the X950BH along with a Bel STiR Plus and Blinders Quad kit.  Should be decent with the exception of the X950BH not working well with the iPhone 5 but hopefully that will change after the firmware release next week.

I guess with the AR2 you maybe somewhat limited with apps working in the head unit vs. having the whole iPad in the dash.  Seem like we always have to give up one for another!

That's good to know.  I thought only those apps listed on the Pioneer AppRadio section were the only ones that worked (or may work through the HU).  I've never had one so I don't know.  Can other apps not listed on their work with the unit?

Anyway, I'm having the X950BH installed today but haven't picked up the car yet to test although I believe we have to wait for the 18th to get the update anyway for it to work first.

Thanks.

That's good to know.  I thought only those apps listed on the Pioneer AppRadio section were the only ones that worked (or may work through the HU).  I've never had one so I don't know.  Can other apps not listed on their work with the unit?

Officially only Pioneer approved apps work with the unit and the ones that are available are satisfying my needs at this point. There is a Cydia tweak called App Radio Extensions that will allow you to use any "unsupported" apps you want for a jailbroken iPhone but that function isn't supported for iOS6 at this point. That will likely change soon however so if I do have an unsupported app I want to use I will be able to. But for now Im good to go.

Thanks for the info.  I just bought an iPhone 5 which shipped with iOS6.1 so I'll need to wait.

My installer was complaining about the iPhone not connecting to the unit today (X950BH).  I hope he had ordered the CD-IH202 but I'm not too sure at this point.  He said he's ordering another cable.  I can understand AppRadio mode not working because of the firmware but not connecting at all?  Picking up the car in the morning so it seems I have a lot to sort out.  Hopefully a simple mistake.  Anyway, thanks again for the insight on all this!

It will "connect" as in "charge" if you use the CD-IH202 before the firmware update is installed, but that is all.

If you try to play music via cable, AppRadio, Aha, or Pandora it wont work UNLESS you do away with the CD-IH202, plug in an old USB to 30 pin apple cable to the Pioneer USB cable (not the power only USB on the back of the unit), then use a 30 pin to lightning adapter. At that point the AppRadio button will light up on the x950 , but still wont WORK (no video transmission on 30 pin adapter to lightning. Appradio with actual screen video requires the CD-IH202 and the yet to be released firmware for iPhone 5) though it will enable Aha Radio and Pandora on the radio.

It will "connect" as in "charge" if you use the CD-IH202 before the firmware update is installed, but that is all.

If you try to play music via cable, AppRadio, Aha, or Pandora it wont work UNLESS you do away with the CD-IH202, plug in an old USB to 30 pin apple cable to the Pioneer USB cable (not the power only USB on the back of the unit), then use a 30 pin to lightning adapter. At that point the AppRadio button will light up on the x950 , but still wont WORK (no video transmission on 30 pin adapter to lightning. Appradio with actual screen video requires the CD-IH202 and the yet to be released firmware for iPhone 5) though it will enable Aha Radio and Pandora on the radio.

I'm so glad you posted this today.  The timing could not have been more perfect.  My installer called me today indicating that the X950BH could not communicate with the iPhone 5 (only bluetooth audio streaming).  It was my impression that the iPod functions and Pandora worked minus the AppRadio features.  He said he was talking to his Pioneer tech that supports the authorized dealers only and they said all hardware functions (CD-IH202) requires the firmware upgrade.  I was fighting him on it thinking that part of it should work.  Anyway, I hope this release comes out soon as I just spent a boat load of money on this along with some radar equipment too!

Get the Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and it will work for audio. Just be advised there will be no charging of the phone with this adapter. Once the firmware is release you exchange the 30 pin adapter for the lightning to digital av adapter.

Get the Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and it will work for audio. Just be advised there will be no charging of the phone with this adapter. Once the firmware is release you exchange the 30 pin adapter for the lightning to digital av adapter.

I've got the 30 pin to lightning adapter with the x950 and it definitely charges...  No app radio, but i have ipod control, pandora, and aha radio through the regular source menu.

Interestingly, I noticed you can't have a bluetooth audio connection (to an entirely different phone, for example) while an "app radio device" (like an iphone) is plugged in (even if app radio doesn't work).  I don't really understand why that would be...unless somehow the iphone is using bluetooth (stealthily) in conjunction with the 30-pin to lighting adapter perhaps making up for all the "missing" pins?  As in, in sends power and does control via the pins, but actually sends the audio via bluetooth...?  And does that all behind the scenes?

Yes, that sounds crazy...but why else would that limitation exist?

I've got the 30 pin to lightning adapter with the x950 and it definitely charges...  No app radio, but i have ipod control, pandora, and aha radio through the regular source menu.

Interestingly, I noticed you can't have a bluetooth audio connection (to an entirely different phone, for example) while an "app radio device" (like an iphone) is plugged in (even if app radio doesn't work).  I don't really understand why that would be...unless somehow the iphone is using bluetooth (stealthily) in conjunction with the 30-pin to lighting adapter perhaps making up for all the "missing" pins?  As in, in sends power and does control via the pins, but actually sends the audio via bluetooth...?  And does that all behind the scenes?

Yes, that sounds crazy...but why else would that limitation exist?

App radio uses the HDMI to display whats on the iPhone/Android screen to the x950.

It uses the usb cable to carry audio from your iPhone/Android to the x950.

It uses bluetooth to register touches on the x950 to the iPhone/Android screen (or at least this is how they did it with the base AppRadio2 units).