AVIC411.com

x950bh AppRadio not working

Two different design teams between units with the navi team "borrowing" the AR design. This kind of thing is common with these Japanese companies. And the AR wasn't flawless when it was released. The root of the software problems with all of these Japanese head unit manufactures is the third rate Chinese software programers they use.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two different design teams between units with the navi team "borrowing" the AR design. This kind of thing is common with these Japanese companies. And the AR wasn't flawless when it was released. The root of the software problems with all of these Japanese head unit manufactures is the third rate Chinese software programers they use.

I guess that would explain it.  Well, let's see if they catch up otherwsie it's not worth all the headaches!

Gonna try this tonight if I get some time.  Will do the JB and then install a Cydia app to quickly kill all running apps as that seems to help AppRadio (give the old Hello {your phone name} prompt).

Mike insists on installing all three dependencies for Appradio Extensions: MobileSubstrate, PreferenceLoader, AppList.  Am I to assume that these three items are available on Cydia as well (or within Mike's repo)?  Not sure as this is my first shot at this.

Thanks.

OK.  I finally did the JB on the phone and installed AppEx 2.0.1-173.  Will test it with the radio tomorrow.  I'm assuming the Bypass Launch Alert should be set to Allow for that annoying prompt?  I'm also curious to find out how many unsupported apps will actually work on the X950BH now.  Wouldn't it be funny if the "Supported Apps" that don't load normally (if at all) will NOW work with this tweak installed?  I'm hoping... :neutral:

Well, the AppEx definately fixed the Allow issue which was the main thing for me.  It's worth its weight in gold just for that feature.  As for supported apps that didn't work for me, they still don't.  As for unsupported apps, only a handfull work OK.  If I were to run the Stocks App for example and force landscape mode, I can't get out of it and back to home.  I need to manually kill the app on the phone.  It gets stuck re-launching the same stock app in landscape mode.  Oh well... maybe in time swipe gestures, returning to home on all apps, and other things like that will be resolved by Mike.  As for now, the whole system is still a buggy mess but it is much more manageable now that AppEx is installed as it doesn't ask me to allow every other time I hit the App Radio button on the head unit.

I know this is a 950 thread but my 940 cunundrum is related.

Right now I run a jailbroken iPod 4G running ios 6.3 (redsnow partially tethered but it is stable and I only have to reboot for some

Apple software upgrades). Anyway, when I first started using StreamS HiFi it would not fill the screen properly and was shifted to the right as if the aspect was only meant to run on the larger 7" Appradio screen. Then, when I installed EC Touch, Stream S resized itself for some reason and now properly fills the smaller 6.1" screen of the 940 and EC Touch is also the correct size.

Tonight, I decided to try my wife's IPhone 4S unjailbroken with my 940 to see if it was quicker than the IPod 4G (which it seems to be). I installed Appradio on her phone along with StreamS HiFi and EC touch to see how they worked. Well, on her phone, StreamS is back to the wonky screen aspect and so now is EC Touch but if I plug my IPod Touch back in, everything is fine again.

Any ideas as to why my IPod Touch magically now runs with the correct screen sizes but the 4S won't? Not sure if the Touch being jailbroken has any impact or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat. I purchases the X950BH and the cable kit and cannot get the my iphone to be recognized for playing music or app mode. Guess we will have to wait for firmware to come out. Spent an hour on the phone for Pioneer tech support and they were clueless once they answered.

Hey TechUnplugged, check this out for me if you would. Verify that your lightning to HDMI works the same as mine:

When plugged into the phone, and HDMI only (say to a HDTV) video output works fine. You can see your iPhone screen on your HDTV

When plugged into the phone, and another lightning cable it plugged in (but not the HDMI) it will pass CHARGE from your computer, but wont SYNC to iTunes.

That is how mine works. Is this HOW its suppose to work? No data over lightning via the pass through? If so, then how is the AVIC getting its data, from the bluetooth setup the same way the older APPRADIOs do?

I am wondering if my lightning to HDMI adapter is bad since it only passes power via lightning and no data. If yours is the same though, it may just be an AVIC firmware issue.

Also does your AVIC x950 connect using Pandora on the screen? Mine doesnt, it remains greyed out.

when you say that the cable will not sync to itunes are you using a OEM apple lightning cable. if not that is your problem.

the iphone 5 update is out now for the 950bh. i just update waiting on cable to show up. i have some aftermarket cables that are for my iphone 5 that will charge but not sync. the cables are propriatary with a chip in them

• 2 weeks later...

This thing should be called CrappRadio.  I did the update today and

cannot tell you how unimpressed I am with this.  Why the Ipod controls has

to be an app is absolutely ridiculous.  Takes forever to get this thing

going.  Between all the connecting and allowing it is very

cumbersome.  I find myself constantly restarting the AppRadio app on the

phone since it gets stupid when too many things are running and constantly

hitting allow.  Now I know there is a jailbreak (I think) to remove this

allow screen but I'll have to investigate it more.

Once it is running, however, only half of the apps I loaded on the phone

actually work.

1. Car Media Player – Works
  2. CommuteWX – Works but no animated radar
  3. Inrix – Works (but flakey sometimes)
  4. Waze – Works (can be flakey too)
  5. iHeart Radio – needs input from phone and doesn’t

resize properly

6. MotionX – only works from phone – not head unit
  7. Car Browser – flashes for a sec and goes away –won’t run
  8. Best Parking – only works on phone – doesn’t show on head unit
  9. Calendar – works
  10. Maps – works

Note that location services need to be on for some of these

apps to work and Pandora and aHa work as a source under MODE.  How I wish the damn iPod functions worked as

a source under MODE.  I may sell the iPhone

5 and switch back to a 30-pin cable to use with my iPod Touch 4th

Gen. and forget about this.  I’ll give it

a few more weeks to see if there is another update to correct some of this junk

but I’m really pissed off for spending money on the phone and waiting for this

crap to be released.  I wanted to get

cutting edge technology I guess and I all got was cut!

Going back a month to my original post here.  I still cannot get the above apps that didn't work before to work now.  Anybody else with a NAV series HU such as the X950BH have any luck with these apps?  These apps may work fine on the actual AppRadio such as the SPA series but absolutely do not load or resize properly on my AVIC series so I'm wondering what the consensus is with people that have the NAV models (not the SPA series).  Trying to figure out if it's a global problem with the NAV units or just my setup although I can't see how that's possible since I have an iPhone 5 with the AVIC-X950BH and I have had the same problems before the jailbreak and after including loading AppEx.

Thanks.

The apps you listed perform in the same way on my unit. Mostly resizing glitches or crashing all together. Its not just your setup.

I would also like to add that when switching from app to app and dropping out of app mode back to radio, or built in navigation, sometimes appradio apps dont restore properly, resulting in resize issues or a black non touchable screen.

I have to quit the apps on my iphone and relaunch. That tells me its on the app developers problem more than Pioneers (I am looking at you Waze, iHeart,  DashCommand *which also drops bluetooth connection to odbII frequently when switching between apps*). With the exception of CarBrowser (which is Opera reskinned) all of the Pioneer apps work quite well. 

My problems with AppRadio on the x950?

The above Applications having issues (thats the App developers problem)

iOS nagging me for "allow this app to open" all the @#$@ time (cant jailbreak my phone due to company security policies... and I need it for work more than my car)

The only Pioneer app giving me grief is CarBrowser.

The only DESIGN issue I have is not being able to make a bluetooth phone call while using the touch screen in AppRadio. Not sure if that will ever be "fixable".

Thanks.  That's good to know.  As for the jailbreak, it did alleviate some of the headaches regarding the nag screen and also helps the AppRadio app restart sometimes automatically.  I have found the the split screen mode has made it more convenient to get in and out of apps and back to the map then constantly hitting the home screen and then hitting the apps button.  You'll see this when you switch from 2D / 3D / AppMode (which is the split).  Try that if you haven't already.

I don't always get the black non touchable screen but I have a few times.  That's when I need to kill all apps and restart the whole thing over.  Again with the jailbreak I run background kill all apps which makes it faster and less dangerous when driving but it's basically a big buggy pain in the ass.  Oh well...

Hoping in time things change and that Pioneer and the developers don't give up on it.

I have to quit the apps on my iphone and relaunch. That tells me its on the app developers problem more than Pioneers (I am looking at you Waze, iHeart,  DashCommand *which also drops bluetooth connection to odbII frequently when switching between apps*). With the exception of CarBrowser (which is Opera reskinned) all of the Pioneer apps work quite well. 

My problems with AppRadio on the x950?

The above Applications having issues (thats the App developers problem)

All of these apps work find on the App Radio so its not developer related. It appears to be App Mode related on the navi units.

All of these apps work find on the App Radio so its not developer related. It appears to be App Mode related on the navi units.

Which goes back to our original discussion at the top of this page regarding two different development teams.  The only thing that can fix this is a working firmware upgrade from Pioneer and I'm sure they're still out in left field wondering what went wrong.  As for now, I will stick it out but if things don't improve, I'm going with your original setup someday by shoving an iPad in the dash!  All problems solved!

• 2 months later...

This thing should be called CrappRadio.  I did the update today and

cannot tell you how unimpressed I am with this.  Why the Ipod controls has

to be an app is absolutely ridiculous.  Takes forever to get this thing

going.  Between all the connecting and allowing it is very

cumbersome.  I find myself constantly restarting the AppRadio app on the

phone since it gets stupid when too many things are running and constantly

hitting allow.  Now I know there is a jailbreak (I think) to remove this

allow screen but I'll have to investigate it more.

Once it is running, however, only half of the apps I loaded on the phone

actually work.

1. Car Media Player – Works
  2. CommuteWX – Works but no animated radar
  3. Inrix – Works (but flakey sometimes)
  4. Waze – Works (can be flakey too)
  5. iHeart Radio – needs input from phone and doesn’t

resize properly

6. MotionX – only works from phone – not head unit
  7. Car Browser – flashes for a sec and goes away –won’t run
  8. Best Parking – only works on phone – doesn’t show on head unit
  9. Calendar – works
  10. Maps – works

Note that location services need to be on for some of these

apps to work and Pandora and aHa work as a source under MODE.  How I wish the damn iPod functions worked as

a source under MODE.  I may sell the iPhone

5 and switch back to a 30-pin cable to use with my iPod Touch 4th

Gen. and forget about this.  I’ll give it

a few more weeks to see if there is another update to correct some of this junk

but I’m really pissed off for spending money on the phone and waiting for this

crap to be released.  I wanted to get

cutting edge technology I guess and I all got was cut!

So there was an update for Car Browser.  As a result, it now works on the X950BH.  The only thing that doesn't work is when you play a video from either ESPN or Youtube (for example).  It says unsupported.  Safari using AppEx will play videos just fine but then again there is the offset issues which I can't figure out yet regarding touching the left and bottom portion of the screen (nor will Safari be forced into landscape mode but thats an AppEx issue).  As for all the other apps that didn't work, they still don't becuase they 1) still haven't released an update or 2) the update still hasn't fixed the issue.

CarBrowser and Waze works fine for me now that the developer updated the App to address the x50 issues. Now its time for DashCommand to be fixed and all of my apps will behave properly. It has a resolution shifting issue after it has been operating for  a few minutes, or if I receive a text on my phone while using it, that leads me to believe that it is a software fixable issue as well (Waze used to do this but now works fine after the last set of updates rolled through).  IHeartAuto seems to work, but I have a problem agreeing to the legal agreement on the headunit. Its not viewable on the phone when unplugged so I cant get around it that way. Again, seems like a resolution/overscan issue that Waze overcame somehow... so its just a matter of time.