AVIC411.com

x950bh AppRadio not working

Preroll: No need to actually uninstall AppRadio app, just quit it. You CAN delete it, but I like using it from time to time. Do the steps I mentioned before, and below... and you will see on the x50 you dont have to have AR App loaded at all. This will NOT fix the INRIX issue of a black screen or make the new INRIX version work, this alternate method for loading apps is just a good way of isolating issues, and keeping problems to a minimum and I am kind of shocked no one has noticed this is how the x50's work.

VBLUE42: yes, I have full functionality, screen touch etc. Again, the AR App is nothing more than a nifty glorified launcher, it doesnt add or take away any functionality to the 3rd party app you want to launch. This is also how I launch third party apps that are NOT approved by Pioneers busted approval system. Apps from other countries and developers can all be launched independently from this method vs the limited catalog that the AR App tries to force down our throats.

Example of steps taken without AR App:

I load DashCommander (or any other AR enabled app such as Waze, Aha, Pandora, Mixtrax etc) on my phone, with AR App completely closed (or deleted) the phone when plugged into the lightning connector to the x50 will then change screens to DashCommanders (or whatever app you launched)"video out/AR mode" it may even say Pioneer AppRadio.. each app is different in branding.

On the head unit I then tap the AR button to switch the head unit into its HDMI source (thats all the AR button does in reality). It will ask you if you want to launch the AR App and to check your phone for prompts. Your phone will have an "allow and ignore" prompt sitting on top of the App you launched just tap IGNORE and you will soon see your app on the x50 without having to launch AR App at all.

On a side note: I believe iOS7 has actually IMPROVED its bluetooth stack. I am noticing apps such as DashCommander that communicate with my Bluetooth OBDII plug are far more stable these days compared to iOS6. Dash commander used to lose connection with my OBDII plug all of the time, forcing me to do a reconnect. It was a huge hassle that made me want to throw the x50's out the window. Looks like it was Apples bluetooth stack this time around!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I guess these alternative methods are nessisary on the AVIC or AVH units that are displaying issues with AR mode but the fact that I couldn't use the head unit to control all aspects would bother me. The reason for the AR is to control everything from the unit and not have to touch the phone. This is how I use it and wouldn't want any other way.

Yeah I guess these alternative methods are nessisary on the AVIC or AVH units that are displaying issues with AR mode but the fact that I couldn't use the head unit to control all aspects would bother me. The reason for the AR is to control everything from the unit and not have to touch the phone. This is how I use it and wouldn't want any other way.

So AR is more than just a launcher if it's the only way to get control from the head unit I would guess.  Being that my phone is stored away in the glove box, I unfortunately need AR most of the time (unless I setup an app prior to driving like Google Maps so I can now check traffic since INRIX is NG).

Anyway, good info though.

Thanks.

I never said that I dont use the AR App, I just said for testing you dont have to. Its an easy use launcher, pure and simple. It wont affect Wazes functionality in the least bit whether you launched it from its own applet in iOS or from AR App.

Ever use the OSX dock on a Mac, or the Task Bar with Pinned applications in Windows Vista/7/8? Thats a launcher. They are not the apps themselves, just shortcuts to them. You could manually go load Word from its hiding place in program files, but the Taskbar or OSX Dock makes it easier... thats what AppRadio App is.

The only thing AR Radio has additionally to just being a launcher is a built in store (which isnt really a store, its just a pioneer selected launcher to your AppStore) and has the built in calendar, contacts, photos and map app that polls data from your iPhone. Everything else is just a shortcut launch.

So I finally got around to testing this out and yes, you can run any app w/o AR but of course with no control.  Guess that's why I still use AR w/AppEx.

Anyway, as a side footnote, INRIX has now returned.  Probably on Pioneer's part due to complaints from folks like myself.  I also emailed INRIX as well but since it is still listed on Pioneer's site, someone finally got around to putting it back onto their supported apps list.  Obviously a "kill/restore switch" on Pioneer's part.  Anyway, I posted that it has returned:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/37319-inrix-451-dropped-from-ar/

Forgot to mention, when running apps that gave me a black screen using AR, SOME of them still gave me a black screen w/o AR and some did not!  So, that makes it a little more complicated in figuring out if the problem is an iOS version issue or just the fact it's an AVIC issue.

I.E.:

Sygic = black screen w/AR but displays w/o AR

Best Parking = black screen w/AR as well as w/o AR