AVIC411.com

Appradio 3 - iPhone 5 - using Waze (or any other GPS?)

Hoping someone can help me out, I just installed the Appradio 3 and I can't seem to get any of the GPS applications to work without the parking brake up.  I have a bypass on the way, but shouldn't I be able to see turn by turn while driving?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, on the demo on Pioneers website it showed them using the head unit to control Waze, however even with the parking brake up it's just mirroring the screen and gives you the little "don't touch" error message when you try and use it through the HU.  I'm sure the bypass will fix it not showing up on the screen while driving, however shouldn't I be able to interact with nav apps through the HU?  If not Waze, what apps work with iPhone 5?

well since vblue evidently believes readers here are psychic and can find any random thread he mentions, let me give specific answers to the questions asked.

Waze does indeed offer full touch, and is AppRadio-compatible thus uses the external display in driving-mode. however im disappointed that since being acquired by google, waze is now delivering popup ads onto your screen while youre navigating -- wtf. this should last until somebody crashes and sues google for making them deal with an ad for Taco Bell while driving.

the other GPS apps are all disappointing -- MotionX doesnt offer external display support unless you pay for it. Garmin doesnt offer it. Google Maps doesnt offer it. Apple Maps doesnt offer it. with a parking break bypass you can mirror all of them to the screen, but can not touch any of them. in my tests even if mirrored Siri does not play directions thru the HU, only the iphone speaker (WEAK!!). also, if you have a dock station for your phone on the dash you need one that goes into landscape mode in order to mirror to the fullscreen -- and then it's going to look pretty silly because you have your phone and HU showing the same exact thing right next to each other.

contrast this to what is one the Pioneer website:

You also have the option of using the built-in Google® Maps on Android devices and Apple Maps on the iOS platform. With all of these choices including voice guidance and on-screen control of maps, AppRadio really knows navigation and gives you more ways to get to where you are going

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+3+(SPH-DA210)

...in my tests so far, this isnt true for Apple Maps. so, so disappointingly. 

the other GPS apps are all disappointing -- MotionX doesnt offer external display support unless you pay for it. Garmin doesnt offer it. Google Maps doesnt offer it. Apple Maps doesnt offer it. with a parking break bypass you can mirror all of them to the screen, but can not touch any of them. in my tests even if mirrored Siri does not play directions thru the HU, only the iphone speaker (WEAK!!). also, if you have a dock station for your phone on the dash you need one that goes into landscape mode in order to mirror to the fullscreen -- and then it's going to look pretty silly because you have your phone and HU showing the same exact thing right next to each other.

You should consider looking into the thread pertaining to App Radio Extensions. Also look into my thread and Youtube vid where I demo such use.

do yo have links to your threads & videos?

i may look into ARE, but dealing with hacks isnt my idea of a good time (software dev during day job, last thing i want to do at home is dork with more). it's pretty weak that pioneer isnt currently offering the basic functionality that theyre claiming they do. ive just submitted a ticket to them to ask how one can get Apple Maps voice guidance as advertised on the AR3 product page. will see what they say. 

to email support w/ functionality or enhancement requests go here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/AboutPioneer/Contact+Us

This is the thread to ARE.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/34188-appradio-extensions-20-beta-full-iphone-control/

This is my demo vid using ARE. Although I don't demo using Google or Apple Maps I have used both with success in landscape view. Apple Maps however does not output audio to the unit sense it is only coded to do so to the i5 speaker.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36694-favorite-app-radio-apps-demo-vid/

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, I am also unable to use Waze on my Z150BH, I get the same don't touch logo when I try to do anything, it's simply only mirroring the iPhone screen. I can't install app extensions since I'm on iOS 7 which can't be jailbroken at this time. Is this normal behavior for Waze without app extensions?

I have the same issue.

I just installed my AppRadio 3 w/ iPhone 5 and all required cables + Microbypass. When I go to the AppMode and I click the Waze icon from the AppRadio screen, Waze open on the iPhone and get mirrored on the AppRadio, meaning it only duplicate my iPhone screen on the AppRadio. I can't use the HU screen to navigate...

From what I've read and saw on Youtube, I should be able to control Waze from the AppRadio. Anyone knows how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks !

I figured out the problem with Waze, I'm amazed that I couldn't find any reference to this on their website or in the forums, let alone have any responses in their forums providing it. I'm posting it here in case anyone else has this issue. When you use Waze on an app mode device, you need to go to Settings and scroll down to the very bottom of the screen. There you will see a setting called "Control Waze from car unit", set that to on and restart Waze.. you'll no longer get the hand with the red X when trying to control it from your head unit.

-Keith

The Control Waze from Car Unit prompt only appears after you physically connect to the AppRadio.  (you won't find the option/setting when not connected to the AppRadio in stand alone Waze)

Waze is the perfect GPS AppRadio App! (love it)  The native full screen controls are wonderful