AVIC411.com

Naviextras questions

Ok so now that we are able to install content from Naviextras on your NEX devices after the most recent update, here's a good question. HOW??? The Toolbox wants me to connect my PC to the device (my 5000). Umm, that ain't happening for me (monster PC on floor).

I suppose this was designed for laptops and having the HU out & connected via USB cable, correct? There's no way to purchase content online and then copy it to a microUSB card and load it right?

Thanks all.

Go to naviextras website and it explains it.

Basically, you need a blank 2GB (or larger) USB Thumbdrive formatted in fat32. Stick that into the NEX, go to the menu in maps on the unit that lets you update (sorry cant remember the exact name) it will detect your thumbdrive, and load it with your NEX's information. You then load the Naviextras application on your computer, plug in the thumb drive, and it should detect as your NEX. At that point you can buy maps and any other extras that are offered (mine doesnt show any). If you buy updates, they download to the thumb drive which you then stick back into the NEX and reverse the process. It will update from the thumb drives contents.

This is a process that I have NOT carried out to completion. Once I saw I had to pay $129 for the latest Q4 2013 maps I decided against it, I mean, my unit already has Q2 2013 maps from the factory.

I wouldnt do it just yet. Looks like AVICSYNC is on the way and will provide us with one free map upgrade. NaviExtras is a 3rd party company that supplys Pioneer with maps, but is not Pioneer themselves. Id hate to see you pay $129 for a 2014 map update when we will get one for free once AVICSYNC releases. I am betting that AVICSYNC will offer Pioneer specific options that will trump naviextras.com, and if not, you can use naviextras.com in 2015 and beyond... its nice having options.

Thanks for the info. I will hold off for now. Shame you can't load the info from the NEX onto a MicroSD card. That way I don't have to remove the dash to get access to the back of the HU.

Or can you use a MicroSD card....???? 

OK further question: I have my iphone 5 on USB1 (lightning cable) and an older ipod (30 pin USB) on USB2. If I used a lighting to USB or a 30 pin to USB dongle/gender changer (if they even exist), and then plugged in a USB stick, do you think that might work? In other words, not needing to remove the dash and the HU but use the existing cables....

I dont think the make the gender changer you suggested. Looks like you will need to pull HU, i would then plug in usb extension that came with unit and run to glove compartment, that way you could unplug lightning cable temporarily for thumbnail drive. This way you would not have to pull every time. I have 2 usb extensions hooked up, 1 to dash where i took out cigarette lighter(usb1) and the other (usb2) into glove compartment with solid state drive. Makes it real easy to add or exchange drives, etc.

• 2 months later...

I dont think the make the gender changer you suggested. Looks like you will need to pull HU, i would then plug in usb extension that came with unit and run to glove compartment, that way you could unplug lightning cable temporarily for thumbnail drive. This way you would not have to pull every time. I have 2 usb extensions hooked up, 1 to dash where i took out cigarette lighter(usb1) and the other (usb2) into glove compartment with solid state drive. Makes it real easy to add or exchange drives, etc.

I have an AVIC-5000NEX and a 2014 Honda CR-V. The installer ran USB1 to the center console, tapped into the existing USB port in there. He ran an extension to USB2 into the glove box, so I can attach a USB thumb drive (or iPod or second iPhone).

Interesting thread, I wish I saw it a couple weeks ago, when the 45th day passed. I'm still wondering how I can connect a computer to the NEX, in order to use Naviextras Toolbox to back up my POIs/locations.

I have a related "question" and there are two other recent threads regarding Naviextras pertaining to my question, so I'm going to post here because this thread is most likely to come up in future searches.  For reference, the other two threads are:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/80463-how-do-we-back-up-our-map-locations/

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/80503-am-i-missing-something-how-exactly-do-i-update-gps-maps/

An earlier post to this thread brought up the one free update we get... but stated the update is through AVICSYNC (if and when that comes about).  However, I don't recall any authoritative documentation, advertisement, or such stating that one free update would be supplied through AVICSYNC.

Now I'm wondering if that free update is furnished through Naviextras, and I'll explain why...

Went though sync procedure on HU end and got to computer stage.  Before opening Toolbox, I made a copy of the synctool folder placed on my USB to my computer for later comparison.  Opened Toolbox, logged in, and stick was recognized.  Home page proceeded to list a few available updates(?) on left and an update(?) on right for USA and Canada for $129.  I'm not going to purchase an update at this point in time so I went to the Updates page, which said there's one available update: Map of USA and Canada.  So I clicked on the Install button.  App proceeded to do seemingly lengthy download of many files.

After download complete I got a message the update was installed.  At this point I decide to do a before and after file comparison.  The directory structure appeared relatively the same.  I didn't compare the entire directory, but I did notice there was some files and a folder added to the "license" subfolder...

post-118352-0-18843900-1419995929_thumb.gif

Selected items were added.  Note the year and quarter in the file names.  So now I'm thinking this is the one free update... and I don't want to "commit" at this point in time if I can delay to a future update.  So I decided to copy stick contents to computer and restore from pre-update copy.  Initial attempt to copy updated contents failed on one file that I'm aware of, and that is the last in the picture, because the file name made path too long.  I managed to copy it to another directory with a shorter path.  However, when I tried to restore the pre-update copy back onto my stick, my computer failed to copy that file for the same reason.  I did not attempt to put in a directory with shorter path.  Instead I decided to clear the entire stick and see if the HU would repeat the original sync process.  It did and comparison with first copy appeared to be the same AFAICT without an exhaustive comparison.

So back to computer and repeat process (FWIW, I closed Toolbox in between).  Everything same as previous session.  Decided not to update map this time.  My purpose for doing this is to install custom POI's as a backup for saved locations.  There have been reports the HU sometimes wipes saved locations from internal memory, and I have also noticed firmware update instructions state navigation is reset to default, so I have to assume saved locations are also wiped on firmware updates.

So this go-round, I viewed Updates page, same as before, but do not follow through.  Went to Extras page, loaded my .kml file, and follow through to acknowledgement (don't recall exact message wording).  Again I compare stick with original copy.  Related folder and files were added (we can get into that later).  I then I compared the license folder. It was the same as when I did the map update (as in attached picture).

So now I'm thinking any change through Toolbox will permanently lock in the year and quarter of the free update.  Until I get some confirmation from other users whether or not this is the case, I am not following through on the HU end...

The free map upgrade from Pioneer will come from AVICSYNC or from Pioneer itself. I was told this by a reliable Pioneer tech, who took down my name and information promising I would get my free copy from them when it is available via AVICSYNC.

NaviExtras is a seperate company that supplies maps to Pioneer. It will be good years from now once Pioneer has offered its free map upgrade and you want something even newer. Or if you want other features such as camera upgrades from someone other than Pioneer.

Supposedly AVICSYNC will offer these options as well, but until it is released it is just a heresay. I know the above because I called Pioneer, found someone who knew what he was talking about, and I relayed that to the group. The fact he went through the trouble to take my information and promise that I would get my one free copy (via the coupon in the NEX box) indicates to me it will come from Pioneer, not NaviExtras. Plus, him explaining in detail that they are two different companies, and the one free map coupon in my box would be honored by Pioneer only really hammered the point home for me.

Whatever you downloaded COULD be a freebie from NaviExtras, they could be doing that since they are the supplier to Pioneer and it wouldnt make a lot of difference to thier bottom line. Plus it would lock you into thier map upgrade ecosystem.

On a side note: I have Navigon on my mobile devices, and even though I bought the app and only one map upgrade OVER 5 years ago, they still, on occasion, offer a free map upgrade to everyone. Despite having maps for sale at a substantial price. I think this is done to promote good will toward device owners and keep them locked into their upgrade path. Maybe NaviExtras is doing something similar, in an attempt to lure us to upgrade with them in the future?

I reached out to Pioneer, they told me once the 45 day window is passed, the only option is to buy the updated map.

I explained the map is dated, from Q4 2013, the rep seemed surprised, but stuck to his/her guns.

No redemption codes possible, if we missed that 45 day window, no other options.

I guess I'll write to Pioneer corporate to complain about that tidbit not being made clear to customers, and no way to appease (no redemption code).

A little disappointed...

Don

Pioneer would do well to fire this company.

Charging us $129 for "New Q4 2013" maps in Q1 2015 (tomorrow) is simply unacceptable.

That's way CarPlay will do just fine for me. Apple maps is being updated constantly and improving all the time. For free. These $129 map updates will soon be part of distant history.

Interesting, that is opposite of what my rep said. He said there was no way to update it from Pioneer at the time and therefore he couldnt honor the coupon until there was a distribution system in place (ala AVICSYNC). He said once AVICSYNC goes live the clock would start ticking to get the free update. 

According to your rep, how are you suppose to upgrade your map from Pioneer? Through NaviExtras (the third party company) or through Pioneer itself? If Pioneer HOW? AVICSYNC (that doesnt exist) or some other method?

• 5 months later...

Apple made a few CarPlay announcements at last week's WWDC

CarPlay is adding support for different display sizes, automaker apps, and wireless

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8746971/carplay-support-for-different-display-sizes-automaker-apps-wireless

Apple just made a huge play to take over your car's dashboard

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8748023/apple-carplay-automaker-apps-take-over-the-dashboard

​Apple cuts the cord on CarPlay

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-cuts-the-cord-on-carplay/

I would have preferred hearing "We heard your feedback, and are fixing CarPlay issues.

Daniel Brooks shared some of his Apple bug submissions through OpenRadar. He has an AVIC-8000NEX:

OpenRadar - CarPlay shared submissions

https://openradar.appspot.com/search?query=carplay

I gave up on Pioneer, although I'm OK with what I have, it beats the analog head unit that it replaced by a long shot.

I  want CarPlay to mature, but it looks like we'll have to wait for iOS 9 to be released this Fall (along with El Capitan 10.11).

But I'm more concerned about the open issues that Apple have not acknowledged/fixed, hopefully iOS 9 will surprise us.

I'm hoping to jump on the Parrot RBN6 but I've heard/read that maybe that unit won't be coming out after all (hopefully false rumors).