AVIC411.com

Can a GPS antenna mount in any direction?

Well... I believe the base of the antenna should be on a metal surface with the top of the antenna being parallel to and having a clear view of the sky. That is, the antenna can NOT be mounted where the signal from the sats must pass through anything except glass to reach the antenna.

Yes it can be installed in any direction, so long as the bottom of the antenna is on some metal surface. Its best to just use the 3x3 magnetic pad that comes with it.

You can also mount the antenna underneath your dash. Just make sure that its on the pad and that there is no metal above it. Glass and plastic are fine and won't interfere with the signal, but metal will.

If you do this, before you finish your installation go to 'Hardware info' -> 'Connection status' and check your signal strength.

yes they can be mounted in any direction, just take care not to mount it upside down.

What will happen if it's mounted upside down? I have mine inside my dash and just stuck it to some metal bar that goes across my car. I'm pretty sure it's mounted upside down, but GPS has been working fine thus far.