AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 install in 07 VW GTI Pictures & Impressions

After having this thing installed in my car for almost 2 months, I am finally getting around to posting install pictures and first impressions. Feel free to ask me anything you want about the install!

First piece removed exposing the indirect air duct and myserious "sun sensor"

1%20top%20bent%20removed.jpg

GPS antenna mounted. Soon I hope to get rid of it in place of a VW Sharkfin.

2%20gps%20antenna.jpg

Stock harness

3%20stock%20harness.jpg

D3 Harness connected

4%20d3%20harness.jpg

iPod cable routed from the glove compartment

5%20ipod%20cable.jpg

Fresh out of the box

6%20fresh%20out%20of%20the%20box.jpg

Metra kit. Don't let their website fool you, they do make one for the MkV Jetta/Golf/GTI.

7%20metra%20kit.jpg

Unit mounts added to kit

8%20almost%20assembled.jpg

D3 in kit

9%20d3%20in%20kit.jpg

Trim ring added

10%20trim%20ring%20added.jpg

Everything plugged in

11%20everything%20plugged%20in.jpg

In place

12%20in%20place.jpg

iPod plugged in

13%20ipod%20cable%20routed.jpg

D3 about to be screwed in

14%20about%20to%20be%20screwed%20in.jpg

Video coming off the iPod

15%20video%20coming%20off%20the%20ipod.jpg

All done

16%20all%20done.jpg

Daytime pic

17%20in%20the%20daytime.jpg

Impressions so far:

• [*:5k9g512h]The iPod interface works great but unfortunately there's a highpitched wine present in the sound and can be heard inbetween songs, etc.
    [*:5k9g512h] I am very dissapointed video selection can't be controlled through the D3 itself like with music. It's insanely annoying to open up the glove compartment, scroll to find the right clip and then put the iPod back.
    [*:5k9g512h] There is interference in the video signal off the iPod. Wavy lines can be seen in dark scenes.
    [*:5k9g512h] No HD Radio support :( Sure its not an absolute must, but i'd be nice to have the option, it is 2007 and every radio station in LA is blaring HD-radio this and HD-radio that.
    [*:5k9g512h] I might just get the Kenwood DNX7100. It looks much better on paper (with the video selection that the D3 lacks and HD radio support,) but then again the D3 looked amazing on paper.

That's crappy to hear about the iPod suport. I would hate having to do the same thing (Go into my glovebox to select the next video)...

I'm thinking about the same Kenwood deck myself. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I have not been able to use one in person.

• 2 weeks later...
[*] No HD Radio support :( Sure its not an absolute must, but i'd be nice to have the option, it is 2007 and every radio station in LA is blaring HD-radio this and HD-radio that.

Of course they do. It is because with HD radio, they now have more channels to throw advertisements at you with.

I see on pic 12 of the install kit there is a notch in the middle of the kit ,that will cause a weak point of the kit and cause a sag or gap at the top of the D3 from it's weight when installed. I don't know how much room is inbetween the kit and D3 but if there is room I would suggest riveting or super glueing a flat piece of metal to reinforce the kit and that may stop the sag. It's a thought, I don't have a kit or D3 in front of me to confirm my thoughts.

• 4 months later...