AVIC411.com

D3 cutting out at higher volume

Here is my setup.

'07 Toyota FJ

D3 HU -> Alpine MRP-F450 -> Infinity Kappa 693.7i & Infinity Kappa 32.7cf wired in series on front channel of the Alpine & one set of the 32.7cf on rear channel.

I don't hear any distortion at the volumes that cause the system to cut out, just silence. If I turn the system down a couple of clicks everything works fine. I've been over all of the system wiring 1/2 dozen times and I can't find any shorts, etc...

I'm waiting on a second smaller Alpine that will be used to power all four of the 32.7cf's and I'll run the 6x9 Kappa's off of the F450. Maybe the smaller speakers are causing the problem with the 6x9's? Strange problem.

Anyone running 2 ohms speakers from the D3? I was advised against this by the installer.

have you checked your amp when it cuts out?

does it go into protection mode? this is what i'm assuming.

maybe try using some bass blockers for the 3 1/2's until you get your other amp. this might help it out.

i'm assuming you don't have a high-pass filter going to the fronts since you only have a 2 channel amp and most amps don't have filters for each individual channel.

As far as I can tell the amp doesn't have an indicator light for protection mode. It is a four channel amp and I do have the frequencies adjusted as to not overdrive the smaller speakers until the second amp arrives. The volume that causes the cutouts isn’t what I would call excessive. Is this a possible problem with the D3 not liking the Alpine amp? I’m thinking it is the amp not liking the speakers (as currently configured).

sorry i didn't pay close enough attention to the post, you have 3 sets of speakers (6 speakers total) and a four channel amp. you have a set of 6x9's and 3.5's on the front channels and a set of 3.5's on the rear channels.

i would bridge the 3.5's off of either front or rear channels and then the 6x9's for the other channels, see if that configuration helps out.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I am having the same problem, at higher volume seems to be with more bass hitting.

I am running Boston SL60's and SL65's off a JL 300/4 amp and 2 10" JL's off a 500/1. I also have a Memphis power cap hooked up to both amps.

I will need to check the status of the amps when it does power down. I had the N2 running this same setup for a couple of years with no problems...

Any help/info would be appreciated!

fellas ur prob is with your amps. as far as the infinti system im pretty sure the kappa speakers are 2 ohm. (if there 2006 or newer) the amp is simply running at too low of an ohm load.

for the jl system i would check all your grounds is all the sound cutting out or just the 4 channel?

for the jl system i would check all your grounds is all the sound cutting out or just the 4 channel?

Not just sound, the HU powers off and then turns right back on....

I had a customer w/ a loose power wire on the batt. At lower volumes the amps were fine, when the volume was turn up, the amps were not receiving enough current and would shut down. The amps will require more current w/ you running them 2 ohms v/s 4 ohms.

I'll recheck the connections, I had this problem before with the amps but it seems weird for the HU to turn off...

Thanks for the input guys!!!

• 4 weeks later...

same problem w/ my D3 guys. I have a 2 channel kenwood amp running my subs, and a 4-channel that is running my only 2 6x8 pioneers in the doors. (I took the 2 6x8's in my '06 mustang's rear deck out so I could port the subs straight up into the cabin). Anyway, I'll double check my battery and cap. connections tomorrow, and maybe try running the speakers straight off the D3 instead of to the amp and let you know what i find.

just thought I'd throw it out there that one more guy is having this wierd volume cut-out problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Wholy sh!t, my system is cutting out too! :x

HU = D3

JL 300/2 running Diamond Hex audio components

JL 500/1 running 12W6

HU running rear Diamond Hex series 6x9's

Car = Lexus IS300

Optima Yellow top battery

Just last week i was riding down the road & my front components just stop working, wasn't really pounding the speakers but they just cut out. For no reason, they come back on.

Washing the car this weekend, speakers playing fine. All the sudden, fronts go out & stay out for a while (rears & sub stay on). Popped the trunk, looked at my amps & Got a green light on both amps (no yellow protect mode light). Cut car off & back on no effect. Checked all the wires at the amp & crossover, all in the tight. Several minutes later, sound comes back

Troubleshooting some more, begining to notice at low volumes i don't have the problem, crank the stereo & the fronts cut out. Also, sub doesn't seem to be consistent power. Ex. radio at the same volume, all the sudden the bass will rip & seem to go back down. I thought it was the way we have the amps tuned but i listen to these songs a lot so i know when the is suppossed to hit, i turn it up & bass is more consistent but fronts go out. What the heck is happening :shock:

• 4 weeks later...

please check your speakers connection. running high loads on different polarity can cut the amp out. Check for consistent positive and negatives running to the amp from the speaker. I usually find out that phase in or phase out of each speaker with a 9volt battery. from the amp side, the speaker wires hold it together on the 9volt battery. if the speakers move away from the magnet, then polarity is correct. connect as is to the amp, otherwise your connection negative to positive is reversed.

Other thing is run consistent ohm reading whether it is 4ohm or 2 ohm all around speakers. If you bridge the wires on a 4 channel amp it will bring the ohm load down. example, a 4ohm down to 2ohm. Running different ohm speakers and amp load makes the amp run hotter and potentially shut it down. if not, something is not connected properly or the amp is bad.