AVIC411.com

Should I attempt to install the AVIC D3 myself?

I put the last Kenwood CD head unit in myself but with the subaru-specific wiring harness, it was easy. I want the D3 plus sirius and Bluetooth modules. As far as I have been able to determine, this will require wiring power sources to the modules as well as routing two antennae and wiring to some extra sources such as reverse gear wires, brake wires and VSS wires, none of which I know even where they are.

Circuit city will do the whole thing but they want $250 labor. Maybe it's worth it?

Thanks for any advice.

YEar make and model of the vehicle might be helpful. If it is a newer scooby-doo, there's a number of people here that have done their own installs in those vehicles that may be willing to help you out.

It's a 2004 Subaru Forester XT. It has a double DIN dash opening. There is already installed an aftermarket amplifier and the speakers were replaced. The D3 should fit fine without an adapter.

I've never done a car install before, and I'm not that technically savvy, but with all the help on this forum, and the Crutchfield techs I was able to do most of it--I'm not quite done yet, still have to do reverse and speed wires tomorrow--but my unit works right now :) (not navi). And I made a perfect dash trim fit. Anyways the point is that I think it's doable by anyone... well not anyone but most average people

I dunno, I just got mine prof. installed at a local reputable car audio shop, rate of $50/h for 1 1/2 hours of incredible work. Mic for BT mounted in a good location, ipod cable in glovebox, trim match. Such a clean install, even fixed up the mess from a previous install. All wires nicely tied and organized.. wont have an issue with interference. I've done installs myself, but wasn't so confident with messing around with the vss. At any rate, for $75 bucks I'm *VERY* glad I had it done.

just my 2 cents

I dunno, I just got mine prof. installed at a local reputable car audio shop, rate of $50/h for 1 1/2 hours of incredible work. Mic for BT mounted in a good location, ipod cable in glovebox, trim match. Such a clean install, even fixed up the mess from a previous install. All wires nicely tied and organized.. wont have an issue with interference. I've done installs myself, but wasn't so confident with messing around with the vss. At any rate, for $75 bucks I'm *VERY* glad I had it done.

just my 2 cents

CRAP!!! on that alone I was quoted... $255!!! Geez!

I had a similar quote from a chaing store of $250 for just the nav head unit, $40 for the bluetooth, $25 dollars for the iPod and they refused to do the video bypass. The iPod price pissed me off, cost more then the cable.

I called around to a couple independent shops and found a similar rate $65/hr for 1.5 hr install and they will do the bypass.

In my research found out at the big box stores, the install guys get half the install cost and the stores keeps the rest.

Getting mine installed next week once all the parts are in....I can't wait.

....In my research found out at the big box stores, the install guys get half the install cost and the stores keeps the rest......

What big box is this? I worked at best buy and work at circuit city and thats not the case at either of those places.

To be honest i knew nothing about installing car audio at all. I ordered from crutchfield and the wiring adapter made thigns a breeze. honestly most of the major install is easy with a few tricky parts like the VSS and things like that, but you can get perfectly good feedback from thsi site. I've installed the HU, rearview camers, and gps myself and saved myself alot of money. ALSO SO NOT BELIEVE THE COST PLACES LIKE CIRCUIT CITY QUOTE YOU. they dont include things like "labor" costs. they may say installation costs 250, but then there will be shop fees, mounting harness fees, and a dash kit fee. Trust me when i say add another 100 dollars to anything they do.

I called BestBuy, and they gave me the best price for installation of the bluetooth ($50). I'm sure the unit itself wouldn't be any more than $100 including any harness/trim kits. Give them a shout or stop by one of those local custom shops all over the place.

Circuit City wanted a fortune. I wouldn't even attempt to install it myself... but I'm a chicken when it comes to messing with an expensive system like the D3. BWAK!

I've never done a car audio install myself until I just installed the D1. Installed a remote start/alarm just after Xmas and that was by FAR the most complex thing I've tried to tackle myself. That situation and with the D1 just make sure you have all the questions answered before you start. I had the full wiring diagram of my vehicle, and listed out every wire I needed to connect, and where it connected to.

There's a whole pile of places to get everything you need before the first wire gets clipped, so at least you go in knowing what has to be done. In my case I had access to the AllData DVD's so I knew where every connector was, the pin # of each wire, and step by step instructions on how to remove panels to access the wires.

Not that a few auto installs make me any sort of an expert, but hey, getting free advise from newbie's pretending to be experts is what the internet is all about!