AVIC411.com

Navi lady is a tad late on turns =/

I know that I can just look down @ the screen...and that's what it's there for...but the guidance voice is a little late on notifying me of turns. Usually she'll bust out the "in a half mile, turn left"...which is fine, but when she says "left turn ahead", it's often too close to the turn for me to make it (especially if I'm going faster than 40mph). I don't have my VSS wire hooked up and I asked about it in another thread, but other than that I don't know what else could be causing this late notification. Is it just how the system is? Can I set the notification distance at all?

Thanks,

Jeff

It's unfortunately normal. The final turning point is a little late. I would think Pioneer should address this as it does require you to take your eyes off the road and look at the screen.

When I had my NVE-N872A alpine, it worked much better. If there are 3 close streets ahead, it would say, "Turn right at the 3rd street."

Just to follow up, I hooked up the VSS wire in my car to the D3, and now it seems like the map is a little off. On screen, it shows me passing an intersection about 20-30 feet after I actually pass it...maybe the tip of the arrow is supposed to be the middle of my car? I'm not sure, but the navigation turn notifications have gotten better...I'm not whipping 40mph turns anymore =P

I think it's silly the D3 needs to tap into the VSS to obtain speed of the car...when every other GPS unit i've toyed with is able to obtain speed nearly instantaneously by tracking your location. This is the first GPS device i've seen that needs to tap into a speed sensor wire to get it. It's a really simple calculation.. I have no idea why they chose this route.

Jay

It's not silly at all. VSS is optional, but it improves accuracy for tracking purposes.

According to Wikipedia, there are lots of electronic errors possible in a GPS system making them accurate to only about 50ft. The VSS input eliminates these errors and allows the onscreen tracking to appear smooth and continuous even if errors occur or during momentary signal loss.

I believe most in-car systems have a VSS input. At least the GM OEM systems made by Denso have it too.

It doesn't need the VSS to know your speed, it knows your speed just fine without it hooked up from triangulating it from the satellites. It needs VSS information to gather enough information to calibrate 3D hybrid mode

I think it's silly the D3 needs to tap into the VSS to obtain speed of the car...when every other GPS unit i've toyed with is able to obtain speed nearly instantaneously by tracking your location. This is the first GPS device i've seen that needs to tap into a speed sensor wire to get it. It's a really simple calculation.. I have no idea why they chose this route.

Jay

Please note that on most newer Pioneer units, you can "adjust" your location a bit while stopped and parked, to help aid in this calibration a bit more. It's under the menu marked as "Modify Location"

I use an AVIC-88 and AVHP6400DVD in one of my rigs and it's neglible now, but I have had a Z1 and now a Z2 in my other rig, and its spot on for me.

Just go to a known intersection location, stop, put on parking brake, go to menu and modify your location on the screen to where you think your car SHOULD be on the screen. And yes, this works out better in the long run if you have your VSS connected.

The VSS wire is used to make calculations to your location when proper GPS signal is not available. Basically, if you are driving down a road surrounded by mountains, and lose GPS signal from the minimum of 3 satellites, it will use the VSS signal to keep you car moving on the map properly, until it receives valid GPS signaling again.

They also incorporated using the VSS signal to better improve the Vehicle Dynamics Screen, for more accurate information on the speedometer, acceleration, and lateral-G indicators. It's just another part of the mathematical equation for better accuracy.

It is NOT needed for any Pioneer unit to work properly, it just makes it BETTER than the competition units if you choose to connect it.

Well I haven't hooked up my VSS wire yet and navigation seems "good enough" to me.. although I can't find ANYWHERE on the screen where it displays my current speed.. I assume that it will pop up when I connect the VSS wire? Maybe not.. or perhaps I just don't have the right screen up or info up on the screen. The only thing that has bothered me with the navigation is that the tip of the arrow that signifies your location is where I am, not in the middle of the arrow like i'm used to seeing on Garmins or Tomtoms.. Maybe hooking up the VSS wire fixes this and makes it feel like i'm in the middle of the on-screen "arrow".. I'll probably wire up the VSS tomorrow and route my way to work and see if I notice any improvements.

Does the screen track smoother too after the VSS or is it still "notchy" as you move along the map while driving? It would be nice if the screen got smoother, but since my Tomtom is also notchy as you move, I don't expect anything to improve in the smoothness department. I've seen other OEM navigation units look like it was in realtime it was flowing so smoothly.

Jay

To check your speed, you can go into the hardware info screen in the navigation menu, or simply go to the vehicle dynamics display and its the giant circular gauge in the center of the screen

Well I haven't hooked up my VSS wire yet and navigation seems "good enough" to me.. although I can't find ANYWHERE on the screen where it displays my current speed.. I assume that it will pop up when I connect the VSS wire? Maybe not.. or perhaps I just don't have the right screen up or info up on the screen. The only thing that has bothered me with the navigation is that the tip of the arrow that signifies your location is where I am, not in the middle of the arrow like i'm used to seeing on Garmins or Tomtoms.. Maybe hooking up the VSS wire fixes this and makes it feel like i'm in the middle of the on-screen "arrow".. I'll probably wire up the VSS tomorrow and route my way to work and see if I notice any improvements.

Does the screen track smoother too after the VSS or is it still "notchy" as you move along the map while driving? It would be nice if the screen got smoother, but since my Tomtom is also notchy as you move, I don't expect anything to improve in the smoothness department. I've seen other OEM navigation units look like it was in realtime it was flowing so smoothly.

Jay