AVIC411.com

Questionable Install - Z2 how should it be?

Hey, I finally got all my parts in yesterday and had it installed at a well known shop in my area. I'm a little skeptical about the install for a few reasons. First of all, the sound from the system is a 100 times better than what I did have(I'm riding in a 03 g35 coupe 6mt), however, I'm hearing some kind of hiss during navi operations (such as when the system talks or request a voice command from me). After the voice has spoken, it disappears completely. No hiss is presence during any kind of playback, only when i do something like turn up the volume or the when the navi talks. Its not a huge problem, however, if I'm going to pay 190 bucks for the install, I want it to be working fully and by design. Also, it seems as though they did not attach the parking brake according to the on screen error when I turn on my car and I'm starting to question if they hooked the VSS as well. Could and would anyone provide a check of what I should have and what it should sound like so I can compare it?

If anyone knows about the scoshe output converter, I do have it and they chose not to install it (they didn't even know what it was), could that be the problem? I wasn't sure why we needed it completely, as they said it was for hissing, but did not say where the gentle hiss would occurred. Mine is only during the times I mention, no hissing during playback, playback is hiss free. Can anyone help?

For me, at one point I experienced a slight low level hiss for 1 second duration subsequent to any Z2 system generated response: voice prompts, audible beeps / alerts, menu operation. The hiss was introduced when I connected my rear AV outputs. Rear AV had interference / artifacts. Troubleshooting I replaced the cabling with well shielded monster cable, didn't solve.

The culprit to rear AV issue was a loose rear video ground wire into RCA connector 1. All those wires back there can put tension on the small pin inserts, possibly freeing it from its fully seated position. Once I reseated the wire I had crystal clear rear video and the "hiss" went away. aka - grounding issue. Good luck.

thanks for your input.

So when its working properly, its no hiss at all during those functions?

So, I should tell them to find the problem and fix it correct?

I wasn't sure what to expect since the playback was fine.

any thoughts on the brake warning?

I think the break warning is normal. Mine does the same thing and I've heard a few coments about it making me think that is just the norm. Not sure why it does it, but I just press the ok button and dont worry about it.

The parking brake warning is NOT normal. It's not hurting anything but it's very annoying. What your installer did was ground the parking brake wire in an attempt to bypass the unit for you. Your AVIC knows that if your car is moving and the PB is set, you are attempting to bypass the unit and therefore it will give you the parking brake message. Have your installer disconnect the wire and either hook it up correctly or not connect it and tape it off. After that you will need to reset your AVIC to get rid of the message. Additionally, you can check whether or not your installer hooked up your VSS by going into the hardware settings and seeing if your VSS pulse has any numbers on it. You can also drive around with that screen open and see if the pulse numbers increase. Hope this helps.

Have your installer disconnect the wire and either hook it up correctly or not connect it and tape it off.

You can't just tape it off, you need to either hook it to a switch which you only use while stopped or to the real parking brake... there is no bypass for the Z2 and if it's not hooked to anything, you won't get into many Z2 features. To get rid of the pop up message either pull power from the unit or hit the recessed button to the right of eject.

Have your installer disconnect the wire and either hook it up correctly or not connect it and tape it off.

You can't just tape it off, you need to either hook it to a switch which you only use while stopped or to the real parking brake.

You're right, I was thinking about how most of us just taped off the PB wire after the flashing circuit bypass.

So yeah, what he said. Either way, it shoudn't be grounded permanently, at least for now.

To ground or not to ground, tis the question at hand. Mine is grounded. When I boot unit (start car) I have to kill 2 messages now, instead of just 1. If I hooked it up to a switch id be fiddling with a switch every time I had to get into functions when stopped. Whenever vehicle is stopped, all functions are avail by default - no switch. Guess its a matter of preference. For me, it's easier to hit button once during ride, versus multiple times during stop go.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't just tape it off, you need to either hook it to a switch which you only use while stopped or to the real parking brake... there is no bypass for the Z2 and if it's not hooked to anything, you won't get into many Z2 features. To get rid of the pop up message either pull power from the unit or hit the recessed button to the right of eject.

I am about to install my Z2. What features are lost if the parking brake is not hooked to anything?

i have hiss on all my voice prompts, too. I used a pre-made wiring harness and all audio from AM, FM, DVD video and iPod sound fine (quite a noticeable upgrade from the OEM Delphi unit's amp/sound). This is not an in-car wiring issue, but an issue of poor design by Pioneer. I think one aspect of this is that when you hit mute (attenuate), the voice prompts are still at the same level (a useful design feature of course). But this shows that the voice prompts, voice synthesis, and "beep" tones are generated separately from within the AVIC unit, and Pioneer did a lax job in low-pass filtering the output from that part of the circuit. Or just a lax job in handling how that audio is turned into an analog signal and injected into the master sound out.

It can be annoying but most of the time road noise and/or music will drown it out, and even I can get used to it I suppose. At these prices, we'd better :D

• 2 months later...

$190 for a AVIC Z-2 install on a 2003 G-35??? And you question whether or not you should go back to the installer and have him correct the installation.

Of course you should! You were charged for a proper installation you didn't get it. If they are doing the install for that amount it should be correct and complete. IF you paid $500 for the install you would go back why do you have to question it on a $190 install.

Usually people get what they pay for but if you get charged for something you should get all of what you were charged for and that includes a proper installation.

Cannonball