AVIC411.com

Remote control bypass - using relays

Hi guys,

Anxiously waiting on my D3 and all its accessories to arrive. However I been thinking.

I have an 2006 300C on 22's by the way. I have a Viper SST remote starter alarm.

What i would like to do, is when you relocate the mute wire and ground the new mute wire and the parking brake, then you got the bypass.

I was going to hook up a relay to my Viper alarm, so that i can remotely turn off the bypass (ie. lets say i get pulled over by the officer, i can press a button and turn the bypass off, so i can show the officier i cant play movies while driving).

How i propose to do this is the following:

Relays have 5 connections:

1. Ground wire for the relay itself

2. Ground wire to feed the mute and parking wire when switch is active (BYPASS ON)

3. Ground wire from the parking brake wire itself when the switch is deactivitated (BYPASS OFF)

4. Switched wire going to the MUTE and PARKING WIRE

5. Postiive feed coming from viper alarm.

Does anybody see a problem with this?

Furthermore, I would like to install a valet switch for when i take my car into service at the dealer, or valet at restaurants. I might use a second relay to tap the accessory wire to remotely turn the unit on and off.

you think way too much :lol:

You should have seen how many relays i put in my last car LOL!!!...

Question is, will it work???

Now i am thinking of having 3 relays.

1. Relay #1 - Controlled by Channel 4 on viper - toggles video bypass

2. Relay #2 - Controlled by Channel 5 on viper - toggles D3 valet mode (interrupt the power to the D3)

3. Relay #3 - Controlled by Channel 6 on viper - toggles the remote turn on wire to my amps in the trunk (in case i remote start my car and my volume is on maximum i can mute it remotely)... WAIT A MINUTE - maybe thats when a mute wire would come in handy LOL!!! oh well

Dei systems do not ouput positive on any of the aux outputs. They're all low current negative. What your proposing seems a bit much. If you want to prevent the amps from turning on when the vehicle is r/s'ed, then just take the third ignition output or the second status ouput to a relay. 85 to one of those, 86 to +12v constant. 87a one side of remote lead. 30 to the other side. Problem solved. You're aux idea to disable the radio isn't going to work with the alarm since the aux ouputs will not activate when the car is running unless it's remote started. You'd have to use a standard switch on the radio turnon lead. In order to do something like that, you'd have to create a circuit quite a bit more complex than a relay to do that. Or get a crimestopper alarm since those actually have an output designed to do just what you're trying.

Dei systems do not ouput positive on any of the aux outputs. They're all low current negative. What your proposing seems a bit much. If you want to prevent the amps from turning on when the vehicle is r/s'ed, then just take the third ignition output or the second status ouput to a relay. 85 to one of those, 86 to +12v constant. 87a one side of remote lead. 30 to the other side. Problem solved. You're aux idea to disable the radio isn't going to work with the alarm since the aux ouputs will not activate when the car is running unless it's remote started. You'd have to use a standard switch on the radio turnon lead. In order to do something like that, you'd have to create a circuit quite a bit more complex than a relay to do that. Or get a crimestopper alarm since those actually have an output designed to do just what you're trying.

Thank you very much for your clarification. You are correct in that DEI systems provide negative (up to 200ma). I have a Viper 5900 SST btw.

I think i am going to just do the following (HOPEFULLY THIS WILL WORK when i get my unit on thursday).

1. Viper Channel 5 - MUTE FUNCTION: ground relay to mute on AVIC D3 (remote muting will come in handy sometimes) and even when remote started. Will set as Latched.

2. Viper Channel 6 - D3 BYPASS disable: ground relay to relocated mute wire and parking wire so i can remotely enable the bypass.

3. Viper Channel 4 - D3 Valet mode: relay to disrupt the accessory wire remotely incase i put my car in for servicing.

• 5 months later...

This whole idea sounds like a waste of time. Just tint your windows or turn to the map when the officer approaches your car.

1. He can't prove that you even have a DVD player since he can't enter your vehicle.

2. He most likely won't even know if its an aftermarket unit or not.

Another thing, why even have the radio come on when remote started? When I did my remote starter, I made it so only the HVAC controls are powered, not the radio.

One more question, for your bypass turn off idea. I order for it to work, doesn't the remote need to be used? Isn't the remote inactive while the key is in the remote start disarmed? What are you gonna pull the key out and leave the car running and then hit channel 6 when the cop comes up? Sorry, just seems pointless or I just don't understand!

i was thinking of 2 switches:

one from ground (not from the brake - just ground) and that goes to the Mute/parking brake signal

you open that switch to make it so if a member of your family borrows the car, they don't pile it up watching TV

second switch - in accessory line, so when in for service, or some idiot has to drive the car, it's completely off.

it's fun to play with relays, but it's alot to trouble shoot when you have a simple problem

do you know the KISS principle?

• 2 weeks later...