AVIC411.com

Z1, Z2, and Z3 HDD FAQ

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's correctly recognized by all but my Intel G33-based machine, MHDD didn't see any drives on that one. I tried both boot floppy and CD. Only my AMD machine has a floppy drive so that's the only one I tried the floppy on. I've tried it in many machines so far:

AMD X2 w/AMD 690G chipset
Jetway 945GM motherboard
Intel G33 w/C2D CPU
IBM Thinkpad X20
IBM Thinkpad T43

4 of them see it, and the 4 that can see it can read the info from it just fine, but can't change the config. Could I be doing it wrong? Once I'm in MHDD and select the correct drive, I just type CONFIG. At the end when it asks if I want to make changes, I type Y. I enter through everything except the "Set security off y/N" where I type Y. At that point it says something about calculating checksum and writing configuration failed and "Device error". I tried doing EID first like the first post says, but that makes no difference.
I even tried the commandline switch /ENABLEPRIMARY and that didn't help.
No idea... when you type in EID, do you see the security line at the bottom? It'll say something like security off (if it's on), and won't even be there if security is truly off. Also, when you type pwd, does it say the feature is deactivated or does it actually give you the option to put in a password?
Thanks for the offer, but I was too impatient. I just went ahead and let the Z2 relock the drive. I did the cheap $5 unlock so it's no big deal. I didn't care about salvaging the library because I just got the Z2 from eBay and didn't care for the seller's taste in music. The Z3 image works fine and I won't need to worry about unlocking it until Pioneer updates the maps which probably won't be till next year.

It's strange though, MHDD worked fine to disable the security lock on one of my Hitachi 2.5" laptop drives so it turns out my computer has no compatibility issues with MHDD. It just doesn't like the AVIC's Toshiba drive. I wonder if it has anything to do with the drive firmware, RB102A? Could it be possible that a batch of newer drives cannot have security turned off?
  • 5 weeks later...
[quote name="garrettoomey"] [quote name="propman07"]PPDdawgg-

Great information. I can vouch for the drive crashing if you try to increase the size of the music partition. I bought a 60GB Toshiba drive, and tried to increase the music partition. The unit functioned okay, until I started to add CDs to the music library. After I added two CDs worth of music, the system went into a rebooting loop.

I pulled the drive, and re-imaged it, this time, leaving the partition sizes alone. I have been able to add six CDs worth of music with no performance issues.[/quote]

I have increased the size of the music partion using Acronis during the restore image process to 37gb (all reamaing space on a 60gb dfive). I have had over 300 CD's on it for well over a year and have NEVER had a reboot problem...[/quote]

I'm curious as to what [b][i]method [/i][/b]you used to increase the MUSIC Partition size. What version/flavor of [b]Acronis [/b]did you use?

I was unsuccessful in getting Acronis (Disk Director) to increase the partition size on my 60GB Toshiba after fully restoring the Z3 image to it.
I'm sure the problem has something to do with the 4 partition limit on a FAT32 disk.
So here is something that I plan to try:
[b]1.[/b] Restore only the first two Z3 partitions with Acronis.
[b]2.[/b] Then, with Windows Disk Manager, create a 37GB (or smaller) partition from the remaining unallocated space.
[b]3.[/b] Using Acronis again, restore the 3rd Z3 partition (Music) to the partition created wtih Windows Disk Manager. The partition should remain whatever size you created it at.
[b]4.[/b] Restore the final Z3 partition to the remaining unallocated space.

Theoretically, this should work...but not sure if it will have a negative outcome once the drive is installed in the Z unit.
Has anyone else tried it this way? I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but I must not have the proper software.
I use acronis, and restore each partition individually. Acronis then allows your to select the size of the new partitions.

Here are the stock partition sizes:
LDATA 17.52 gb GPS
SDATA 572.8 mb System files
MSV 9.308 gb Music
USER 572.8 mb Personal Files

Choose to restore each partition individually, then select the new partition size. You need to do them in order. When you get to MSV, just make sure that you leave enough unpartitioned space for the USER partition.

This can all be done in one recovery run. After you complete the first partition setup, Acronis askes if you want to restore another partition, just say 'yes'.
D'oh! :oops:
I knew there had to be a simple way to do it.
I guess my wife is right about me always over-complicating things.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try this today. Wish me luck.

[b]P.S.[/b]
After installing the new hard drive, is it necessary to perform a full reset of the Z with the reset button?

Thanks again!
Thanks for all the useful info garrettoomey.
I built the drive yesterday at work and installed it without a single problem.
Didn't even have any trouble with the mounting plate screws (it helps to have the proper sized screw driver).

I loaded a couple of gigs of music on it last night and then played songs for about 2 hours with no issues. Then played music during the 30 min. drive to work this morning and it performed flawlessly.

Thanks again for all your great information.
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="Z1 newbie"] [quote name="Passat 05"]'Had the same problem removing the screws that hold the HDD to the mounting plate that others have reported.
Here is a quick way to overcome:
Grind a slot into the screw head with a dremel tool and immediately, while the screw is still hot, use a good fit flat screwdiver and the succer will come out without effort. :) :idea:

Add to FAQ at the top of this thread. :?:[/quote]
Damn, why didn't I think of that instead of drilling these screws out.
The plate came off but the rest of the screws are still in the HDD. :cry:[/quote]
hahahah! I did the same thing :oops: