AVIC411.com

D3 GPS Shows Me Frozen in L.A. - But I'm in Chicago

I installed my D3 about six weeks ago and all was going well until this week. The GPS map now shows my location at a fixed point somewhere in Los Angeles, even though I live in/around Chicago.

Two problems:

1. I'm not in L.A. but the map shows me there

2. My location on the L.A. map doesn't move. It shows me sitting in the same spot, even though my vehicle is moving

I thought maybe the GPS antenna had worked its way loose, but it's showing multiple satellites (see attached).

Is there anything else to check/reset to try to fix this?[/img]

post-5269-12872752790269_thumb.jpg

I had that problem once with my Z1, and after resetting it over a million times I ended up having Tweeter replace it with another one. Even the install guy couldnt get it working right. This happend within weeks of buying it, but the new one is working great with not a problem to be had. I got the extended warranty too just in case something might happen. So try having your unit replaced with a new one.

I have the exact same problem. It also started about a week ago. The GPS signal seems fine. The VSS wire is hooked up and reading correctly. The speed and heading reported on the instrument screen is correct as well (and the LA map rotates correctly with my heading), so it doesn't seem like a completely hardware issue. I reset the unit once and it fixed it for a short while, but the started having the problem again. A subsequent reset didn't fix it.

I have this problem on my unit, and had it on the unit I exchanged before. It has happened on 2 D3's of mine and now I see the problem more often with other people. Pioneer denies this a problem, and I have done everything: Replace Antenna, Relocate antenna, Rewire unit, install brand new harnesses from Pioneer I bought, my only other thought is that it is the unit not OK with a bypass. I wish someone could get an answer. See my previous threads/posts

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I just had this problem about 4 days ago - but mine defaulted to brooklyn. I was driving in VA and all of sudden my map was in brooklyn. I tried everything but couldn't get it to start working properly again. Everything seemed alright - good ant strength.

A couple of days ago I drove by the same spot where I initially had the problem and all of sudden the navigation was working again. I just assumed it was a problem with pioneers satellites (or their licenses to use them), but I guess it wasn't a national occurence.

yeah im having that same type of problem... well now it picks up a location close to where i first installed it and now whenever a destination is inputted i get no directions but when i get there is says " you hav arrive atyour destination" any ideas guys?

ive done the bypass by moving mute wire and grounding it then put a switch in like with ebrake wire then grounded that and have the VSS not hooked up at all... any ideas? pleease help guys

I have had this issue with my stereo for three weeks. This might be helpful for some of you.

1. Reset it and see if it happens again.

2. Check if the stereo is constantly reading you DVD Map over and over again non stop. (Making Noise) If so you have a bad unit, return it.

3. Connect your VSS wire. Circuit City was refusing to connect mine until I made a big deal about since the accuracy was really horrible. Once the VSS was connected it made a huge diffrence.

4. Set your settings for routing to Multiple routes and monitor the routes offered and pick the one that makes sense.

5. Set the speed settings on your settings. They should be set to your average speeds. For example the factory setting for freeway is 60, it shoud be more at 75.

Thanks for all the suggestions and letting me know that mine isn't the only D3 with this problem.

I just got back from a trip and low and behold, my GPS works once again. I didn't do anything to it other than let it sit unused for about a week.

If it happens again, I'll try some of the tips in this thread -- especially using the reset hole, which I didn't know existed. For now, though, everything on my D3 is good.

• 7 months later...

This is what I am going thru right now. My gps can't even track me, the pointer says I'm in LA, but its not moving or anything! Argh!

I've had my D3 installed since June of last year, and I've never had this kind of problem until yesterday, when I had interior cleaning done at a detailing shop. My antenna was sitting on the dash (center), just with a double-sided tape to hold it in place. I know you guys would probably say that I should put that metal plate thing, but it was working fine without it, my position was always accurate, I get good signal, never had to play with my position, etc. But wHen I came back to pick up my car, my antenna was dangling off the dashboard (from cleaning I'm assuming), so I put it back to its original position, and I noticed that on the map, I was off by two streets or so. So I went to the "Modify Current Location" settings, and fixed it. But the next day, I was off again. I went to "Reset to Factory Default", it did nothing. I don't know if it was relevent but I went to 3D Calibration and cleared the 3D settings (it was on Simple Hybrid before I cleared it). This is when the GPS stopped tracking me. The arrow wouldn't move from the last place I stopped. I drove more than 15 miles today (after finding out today that it takes a few miles to pick up) and it still says "Sensor Initializing". So I finally poked that little hole to reset the system, and that's when it brought me to the LA location. What could be the reason for this??

PS. Can anyone take a picture of your GPS antenna?!! I have a bad memory and I can't recall whether there's a little dip on top of it. I would really appreciate it! I will take a picture in a little bit to show you what I am talking about.