AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

@bass_rock please tell what testmode keys are you using? How they work and so on?

Also, SDCard image contains partitions (with maps for example) that are not updated during firmware update, this partitions can contain device-specific settings.

Device must contain special hidden service menus for initial setup for CD/DVD and other hardware. I know this because our local pioneer authorized service replaced my internal SD card (8 months to do this simple thing) and after that CD isn't work, so they had to adjust CD settings in service menus.

I am using a test mode key provided by @rojc as I thought there was only one.

However I have done a few sdcards and they seem to all boot in my unit just fine and then can be updated. 

As for the local authorized shop, are you on a friendly enough level to get them to share the service menus? That would be awesome if so..

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the kind support of @whatisbypass my original sd card now works again. I was able to use one of the TESTMODE Keys to put my device in recovery mode with the 5000 SD Card image installed. Once it booted into recovery mode each time, I put back in my original sd card, put the update on a usb drive and used the recovery mode options to write all the partitions. I now have my deck back to what is was.

This also confirms whatisbypass and AdamOutlers thoughts on DRM and custom data on the EXTDATA partition that does not get updated in a system update.  Other than that partition (which contains the nav maps, nav license, and some type of deck hardware settings) it looks like everything is on the images in the updates.

Now back to trying custom firmwares, since I can now get back to my original.

@bass_rock is your restored sd card is still password locked or not? If sd card without password lock, you can insert this card into PC and hack system :)

Also, there is a lot of system logs in log folder of data partition. Maybe this can help.

SD card IMG file with all partitions can be mounted on ubuntu as simple as 'kpartx -a avic_5000nex_sd.img'

Yes my restored sd card is locked.

The steps I used to restore my card is as follows:

1. Remove Internal SdCard.
  2. Boot With the AVIC5000 SD Card Image
  3. Insert the testmode_n_2, TEST_MODE_N.key
  4. Boot To recovery mode
  5. power off unit.
  6. Remove internal sd card
  7. Boot Again with the test mode n 2 key
  8. Receive System Error. Let it sit here for about 30 seconds to be sure. (this seems to trigger the NOR Flash, not the sd card, to always boot in recovery until you write a file using recovery)
  9. Put original SD Card back in.
  10. Boot with the last OS update you used (i.e. if you used 5100 update last, put that on the USB stick) on the USB Port 2
  11. Write the platform files.
  12. Reboot normally.

I tried TestMode s with the value 6 inside it and it seems to have turned off warp (boot takes much longer).

the test mode a you proved me with does not do anything but I have a different one from @rojc that boots into the testmode.apk.   testmode_s with a value of 6 or 5 seems to just say the word Test Mode in yellow on the screen, otherwise the device behaves normally.

If someone has more experience with the test mode files and knows how to get read them and get different modes to boot, more than willing to try!

OK. So what we need now is to modify the kernel or the system to cause a script to execute "$(sleep 60;am start -n com.whatever.testmode/testmode) &". Which will go into a background task, wait 60 seconds and then launch an APK.

I can tell you what to type if you post the apk in question.

Bass, were you able to modify the kernel or system yet? We need an entry point for execution. The same technique will work on an Android Terminal Emulator.

I'm going to get started on bringing my system back to life again, then begin work on bringing up a terminal,

then root, then work on adb over Bluetooth or some sort of networking.

Yes my restored sd card is locked.

The steps I used to restore my card is as follows:

1. Remove Internal SdCard.
  2. Boot With the AVIC5000 SD Card Image
  3. Insert the testmode_n_2, TEST_MODE_N.key
  4. Boot To recovery mode
  5. power off unit.
  6. Remove internal sd card
  7. Boot Again with the test mode n 2 key
  8. Receive System Error. Let it sit here for about 30 seconds to be sure. (this seems to trigger the NOR Flash, not the sd card, to always boot in recovery until you write a file using recovery)
  10. Boot with the last OS update you used (i.e. if you used 5100 update last, put that on the USB stick) on the USB Port 2
  12. Reboot normally.

2. how do you boot with the image if you remove the sdcard?

3. At this state is it powered on normally?

4. does it perform booting automatically?

I'm asking you to clarify everything.  What state is the device in, per step, and what actions did you perform?  I was only able to get this screen below once, and I have no idea what I did to force it to enter this mode.  I also don't know which device was target and which was host, nor did I mark which key was used.

post-131243-0-09114000-1437848325_thumb.jpg

2. how do you boot with the image if you remove the sdcard?

3. At this state is it powered on normally?

4. does it perform booting automatically?

I'm asking you to clarify everything.  What state is the device in, per step, and what actions did you perform?  I was only able to get this screen below once, and I have no idea what I did to force it to enter this mode.  I also don't know which device was target and which was host, nor did I mark which key was used.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150725_132521077.jpg

Ok thats the screen from the test_mode_n.key under the testmode_n_2 folder.  Use the one from the testmode_n_1 folder as that boots the recovery mode. (That was my 2 am mistake in typing)

Sorry It was about 2 in the morning when I wrote the steps, so it made sense at the time.

1. Remove Broken Internal SdCard.
  2. Insert the sd card with the AVIC5000 SD Card Image
  3. Boot With the AVIC5000 SD Card Image
  4. Insert the testmode_n_1, TEST_MODE_N.key, which will make the unit boot to recovery
  5. Power off unit.
  6. Remove internal AVIC5000 SD Card
  7. Boot Again with the test mode n 1 key
  8. Receive System Error. Let it sit here for about 30 seconds to be sure. (this seems to trigger the NOR Flash, not the sd card, to always boot in recovery until you write a file using recovery). Then insert the usb stick into the other usb port and wait 30 seconds. (Again yo be sure as I do not know which one works)
  12. Reboot normally.

ok.  So, i'm using an 8100NEX and that 5000 NEX does not boot.   The closest thing I can do is

1. Boot without an Internal SDCard

2. Insert Internal SDCard

3. Insert USB Test Key.

4. Observe the device entering the new mode

Test Key N1 does not affect operations

Test Key S does not affect operations

Test Key A does not affect operations

I think I need Test Key 1 to work.

How do the secondary settings operate on the device, such as Magic Numbers and Boot Modes?   I need to enter EasyRecovery or Recovery somehow to flash this back to  stock. 

Here is test key N3.

post-131243-0-63653000-1437851361_thumb.jpg

What does 3 do?

ok.  So, i'm using an 8100NEX and that 5000 NEX does not boot.   The closest thing I can do is

1. Boot without an Internal SDCard

2. Insert Internal SDCard

3. Insert USB Test Key.

4. Observe the device entering the new mode

Test Key N1 does not affect operations

Test Key S does not affect operations

Test Key A does not affect operations

I think I need Test Key 1 to work.

How do the secondary settings operate on the device, such as Magic Numbers and Boot Modes?   I need to enter EasyRecovery or Recovery somehow to flash this back to  stock. 

Here is test key N3.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150725_145443938.jpg

What does 3 do?

I think have not figured out what TestKey 3 does or how to do the boot sub modes or secondary flags. If we can figure that out I can get adb and change the usb modes.

Something else you can try is dd'd the expanded images from the update files of the 8100 to the respective partitions on the 5000 sd card. That should at least get something bootable to force NOR into recovery mode.