AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I have been following your progress the last few days and decided to finally register so I can thank you all for the work you're putting in to this.  As is likely the case with many x000NEX owners, I was quite frustrated to learn of the x100 series after purchasing my 8000 late 2014. It looks like you three, as well as several others, have put a big dent in getting AA working on the 8000.  That said, I would also like to offer my support.

It is my understanding at this point your goal is to fix the bluetooth issue, and, once resolved, continue along the testing/debugging process from there, right?  

I don't have a great deal of higher-level programming knowledge you all seem to posses, but I am comfortable enough with electronics, linux and android to send this to you without fear of creating a brick!  Actually... this sounds like a fun time!  Let me know if there's anything I can do!  Thanks again!

Yea I noticed my attempt following your approach one of the files was completely 0 bytes.

Also a heads up, I believe the 8x units have 16gb internal cards.

Ah ha!!! That's it!

I formatted a different thumb drive (sacrificed my Ubuntu installer), and it worked with ntfs. The image is writing now.

Ah ha!!! That's it!

I formatted a different thumb drive (sacrificed my Ubuntu installer), and it worked with ntfs. The image is writing now.

Yep did/will do the same. However I ended up stopping it as it went past an hour. Any idea how long with these units a dd should take? Stopped mine after about an hour and only got 3.95gb.

Hey guys, I have been following your progress the last few days and decided to finally register so I can thank you all for the work you're putting in to this.  As is likely the case with many x000NEX owners, I was quite frustrated to learn of the x100 series after purchasing my 8000 late 2014. It looks like you three, as well as several others, have put a big dent in getting AA working on the 8000.  That said, I would also like to offer my support.

It is my understanding at this point your goal is to fix the bluetooth issue, and, once resolved, continue along the testing/debugging process from there, right?  

I don't have a great deal of higher-level programming knowledge you all seem to posses, but I am comfortable enough with electronics, linux and android to send this to you without fear of creating a brick!  Actually... this sounds like a fun time!  Let me know if there's anything I can do!  Thanks again!

Right now the current even broader goal is to be able to modify the deck's software with a firmware update and get adb working. This will give us the ability to install other android apps, launchers, etc that will go even more into fixing the Android Auto issue and even maybe giving us the ability to write code for Wireless Carplay using an adapter etc..

The current task we are doing right now is creating a backup image of the internal SD card so that there is a full-proof way to restore a bricked unit, using a sd backup.

The one issue we are having with the software update modifications, is if you change the boot.img using our scripts, the deck will not boot afterwards, meaning we are missing a code signing somewhere.

Yep did/will do the same. However I ended up stopping it as it went past an hour. Any idea how long with these units a dd should take? Stopped mine after about an hour and only got 3.95gb.

Mine turned off on its own after 1.5hr, it got 4.5GB

For 8gb, in 3gb chunks, it only took 20-30 minutes. I'm going to try breaking it up into 6-3GB chunks.

BTW, it did a 0gb to me once as well, on the same file. But that is the same script I used on the successful run. I purposefully didn't modify it and left those additional commands in place to ensure integrity.

Why you are not using testmode ability to copy device? There is at least two menus where you can do this. Copy device and sector-by-sector flash copy.

Copy device allows you to select a device, but doesn't specify to or from. We know it deals with the internal SD, but we don't know how copy device works.

I copied 3 sectors manually, then stopped. I'm not doing 16G of sectors into individual files ;)