AVIC411.com

NEX Mic and Apple Carplay

It seems that when you are in Apple Car-play that the AVIC mic is not enabled to give Siri a vocal command (Hey Siri, then the command call so and so) .

To prove this, I put my car-play connected phone in a location (while plugged into the usb) where the phone could not pick up my voice command and spoke directly into the AVIC-8100 mic. Nothing happened. I then took the phone out of the glove box, sat it in the seat next to me, covered up the AVIC Mic and tried the same voice command. This time Siri picked up on it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Seems strange that Apple or Pioneer would have overlooked this as part of the Apple Car-play.

Not my experience. iPhone 6, latest OS, using CarPlay (ie: plugged into Lightning cable attached to USB1 on my 5000), I say Hey Siri <xxxx> and it responds perfectly. 

Try sticking your phone somewhere that the phones microphone can't pick you and see if she still responds. I've got Iphone with latest os also.

Try sticking your phone somewhere that the phones microphone can't pick you and see if she still responds. I've got Iphone with latest os also.

Only 1 place for me to put my phone unfortunately and that's in the console as that's where the lighting cable is. But I did try it with a covered up phone (in a blanket) and it still worked fine.

If I'm listening to music or talk radio or the road noise is loud (open windows esp bad), it can be hard for CarPlay to pick up on the "hey siri" command. And it's important to remember that once you plug in the lightning cable, the mic being used changes from the phone mic to the NEX mic. Once you disconnect it, it goes back to the phone mic. And even then it needs power.

Not sure why yours is not working properly. Perhaps cycle the Hey Siri toggle switch off then on again on your phone? Not heard of anyone here not having the Hey Siri command not work when plugged in. Sorry

Only 1 place for me to put my phone unfortunately and that's in the console as that's where the lighting cable is. But I did try it with a covered up phone (in a blanket) and it still worked fine.

If I'm listening to music or talk radio or the road noise is loud (open windows esp bad), it can be hard for CarPlay to pick up on the "hey siri" command. And it's important to remember that once you plug in the lightning cable, the mic being used changes from the phone mic to the NEX mic. Once you disconnect it, it goes back to the phone mic. And even then it needs power.

Not sure why yours is not working properly. Perhaps cycle the Hey Siri toggle switch off then on again on your phone? Not heard of anyone here not having the Hey Siri command not work when plugged in. Sorry

"Hey Siri" worked fine for me until recently, now out of the blue nothing happens when I say this command. Very strange indeed. I cycled the "Hey Siri" toggle on my phone, moved the phone to different places, still no luck.

• 3 months later...

What a difference 3 months makes. I'm finding the same issue now. Weird.

All I did was deactivate and then reactivate the Hey Siri command and it seems to work now.

But TBH I don't use the Hey Siri command much I just hold my Home button down for a few secs and then Siri is good to go. 

• 1 month later...

On your Iphone You need to go to settings, General, then Siri and there is an option that says Allow "Hey Siri" Since I'm Jailbroken I have two additional options for While charging and for Always.   Also On my 4000NEX and 4100NEX Hey siri works through the Mic perfectly or you can hold the home button on the radio.