AVIC411.com

Freesing on startup..."GOOD NEWS from Pioneer"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so its a miracle that i cool my HD down in 3-5 min and it works perfect? when the HU stays the same temp?

oh and i pull out my HD and its hotter then heck just shy of not being able to hold it in your hand which i would say is getting close to the 75C threshold of the toshiba. [on 100 degree or 100 plus days]

this has everything to do with HD heat. if its not hot it works fine. so your theory has holes in it cause if it was a data transfer problem it would do it at any tempature.

others have reported cooling there HD down and had there units work perfect like mine

so its a miracle that i cool my HD down in 3-5 min and it works perfect? when the HU stays the same temp?

oh and i pull out my HD and its hotter then heck just shy of not being able to hold it in your hand which i would say is getting close to the 75C threshold of the toshiba. [on 100 degree or 100 plus days]

this has everything to do with HD heat. if its not hot it works fine. so your theory has holes in it cause if it was a data transfer problem it would do it at any tempature.

others have reported cooling there HD down and had there units work perfect like mine

However, on the flip side of that, my unit froze on me on a very cool day as well. AFTER having sat in my closed garage all night.

believe it or not the avic z1-2 retains the heat a long time. [not that thats your case]

like you mine froze on mild day,s too. ive had mine freeze in the 70,s but since ive done the last bypass update that raised the heat threshold and replaced some boot files mine only freezes on really hot days and it can be fixed by cooling the HD. [if i didnt see first hand that only cooling the HD fixes it i may have a different view]

im not saying heat is the only culprit but i do know that these HD,s are throwing read errors when warm this has been confirmed we also have another guy who says his HD was trashed because of so many bad sectors he needs to reimage his drive.

i am a computer tech and have seen a ton of HD problems and there tricky and no one drive acts like the next i have done testing to mine in and out of the HU and the only time this HD throws read errors is when its warm in the pioneer HU.

so far to my knowledge this is whats taking place

when the HD heats up on hot days you will/are getting read errors after enough read errors there are sectors that are getting damaged because its common knowledge that this heat problem gets worse and worse till they wont even read correctly or boot on mild days. at this point there are so many bad sectors that cant be read your kinda screwed hence everyones frustration on mild days. after replacing bad areas or reimaging the HD imagine that it works in the heat again. im now very carefull at this point not to let my unit get too hot then try and start it. if it doesnt boot its really funny just cooling my HD down and watching the unit function perfectly..

now are there drivers that could be updated to help the read errors possibly, and are there boot files that can be changed that will help possibly. can they turn the fan on a little more yes that too but this is not a easy fix because its more of a hardware problem then software. the new software patch is going to be just that a bandaid to hide the real problem. computers and electrical equipment do not like heat and when pioneer skimped on our HD,s we had/have to pay the price.

its common knowledge that heat is the problem the only ones saying different are pioneer techs blowing smoke up your @ss or the pioneer techs in this board

so what is the chance that we get new hard drives and a software patch when this is all said and done?

Because I agree, I think heat hammering down on the drive will eventually make the HDD damaged.

Can't believe how many people this is affecting. My dad and uncle have the same unit, both were brought after mines, they haven't had a problem yet. But it took a few months before mine even came to light (when my dad had my car mind you, lol).

I first read that the Avic was skipping, then freezing, then found out both were linked to each other. As I found these things out, it started happening to my unit slowly. I've sent in my official compliant, don't know about you guys (even though they are telling us to just send it in for repair...). If I can come to this board and see 20 to 30 people having the same problem, it has to be a real problem........As I see it, it will graudally happen to everyone.

They need to send us a new HDD and the Patch..............

they wont, will not, never, nada spring for a HD lol thats why theres talk and talk only of a band aid patch.

if it was something easy as software it would have been installed in the unit from the start. since there trying to hide a hardware problem there racking there brains on how to make this fly

I have had my unit since May, it worked perfectly until mid July. I got in my truck on a Friday in mid July and my temp gauge read 96, and my Z2 locked up for the first time. I didn't drive the truck all weekend and on Monday it worked fine, it worked for 3 days in mid 90 degree heat, and then locked up again on a morning when the temp was only 76, the humidity was 100%. As of this day it will sometimes start in 102 degree weather with low humidity, and then lock up with 76 degree temps with high humidity after being parked in a garage for 12 hours overnight.

I think it's humidity related.

Wayne

Here is the email I just got from Pioneer...

September 14, 2007

Dear Valued Customer

Re: Free Firmware Update for Pioneer AVIC-Z1 & AVIC-Z2 to Address Lock-up/Freezing Issue

We would like to inform you of the availability of a free firmware update for the AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2 to address a potential lock-up/freezing issue. Pioneer has become aware that a small percentage of AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2 systems, especially in very hot temperatures, lock-up or freeze when powered on, such that the systems do not proceed further than the initial boot up screen.

If you are not experiencing any lock-up or freezing issues currently, there is no need to take action at this time because the one-time fix to resolve the issue will be available if an AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 later experiences the issue and because your system may never experience the issue. Importantly, this potential service issue does not pose any health or safety risk, and there is no risk of property damage.

To address this potential service issue, Pioneer is offering a free firmware update. If you would like to receive the free update, you may do so in one of the three ways listed below. Before obtaining the firmware update, you need to know whether you have an AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2.

Download the free update to your computer from http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/avicz1update/ and burn the update onto a computer disc for insertion into your AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2; OR

Order a computer disc containing the free update by calling Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404; OR

Call Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 to arrange for your AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 to be mailed to Pioneer for installation by Pioneer of the free update.

There are separate firmware updates for the AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2. Please only use the firmware update that corresponds to your model, as the firmware update for the AVIC-Z1 will not work for the AVIC-Z2 and the firmware update for the AVIC-Z2 will not work for the AVIC-Z1.

If you have any questions, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404

Pioneer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Time).

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this potential product issue may cause you, and we thank you for your cooperation and continued support of Pioneer.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.