AVIC411.com

Does the Firmware update work?

I too have been getting various lockups/freezes. Sometimes it doesn't seem like temp has anything to do with it. Has anyone had a freeze since successfully installing the update? I'm going to be installing it later today.

It appears to be working. Yesterday it was 90 degrees outside. I wasnt using a heatshade at all, and there wasnt a cloud in the sky, it had to be high 90's in my car. My car sat all day in the parking lot (from 8am till about 3pm). Now, normally I would start my car and expect the z2 to just sit there at the loading screen, but still be able to hear my radio station.

However, that did not happen. Instead, the unit started up just fine, loaded and all that like it was supposed to and I went about my way. Nav came up fine, not choppiness, nothing. I didnt try to play any of the music I have on my HD, but I expect it would have worked fine as well.

So... it looks like the patch is working like it should. We'll give it some time and see if it is consistant.

after 4 weeks no freezes and today it was 65f outside and my unit froze, tried putting the HD in front of the ac for 3-5 min and that didnt work [my old standby that worked flawless on 100f plus days]

burned the update to a cdrw installed the update cd to the z2 froze screen and all and in less then 5 minutes it was fixed and working properly.

i looked at the files inside the update and it looks like they rewrote the operating system. this was not just a data from cpu to hd issue or it would have just been a few drivers.

i still know heat had/has issues with the Z2 as this all started on hot days for the majority of the posters here.

I also noticed that my unit boots up faster.

if this is what most are seeing....then regardless of if mine was freezing or not....it's worth a shot for me....mine seems to boot a little slower lately....but I've also added more music in the past weeks....

but then again.....pretty much any speed of bootup is better than a freeze....