AVIC411.com

AVIC - Z3?? Anyone know of it? Rumors? Release Date?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus this thread is getting annoying. My point in all this is there is no reason to make the Z3 called anything else but a Z3, as another poster suggested. Do you disagree?

Annoying? Agree. But if it's strictly a map update then I don't agree that it should be given a new name. Simply calling it a Z2-08 would clarify that nothing has changed but the map.

I suspect that more than just the map has changed (as in Z1 to Z2) and would love to hear from someone who actually knows what he's talking about to find out what it is. :wink:

----It would bring this thread back from "annoying".

So by your logic, the Z2 really should've been called the Z1-07 right? Afterall, the only thing that changed was the software installed on the hard drive? The rest is the same except for the model number silk screened on the front

Same thing on the Z3. Different software, new model number. Thats how they sell more of them

Annoying? Agree. But if it's strictly a map update then I don't agree that it should be given a new name. Simply calling it a Z2-08 would clarify that nothing has changed but the map.

I suspect that more than just the map has changed (as in Z1 to Z2) and would love to hear from someone who actually knows what he's talking about to find out what it is. :wink:

----It would bring this thread back from "annoying".

So by your logic, the Z2 really should've been called the Z1-07 right? Afterall, the only thing that changed was the software installed on the hard drive? The rest is the same except for the model number silk screened on the front

No, because if you look in the update manual:

update manual, pages 10 and onwards, you can see there are at least 8 pages full of OS updates, whether you count them significant or not, like addition of lowercase keyboard, speech recognition for phone book, different map views, whole load of additional voice commands etc.etc.

f.i I also have a Garmin GPSMAP60. It does not become a GPSMAP65 just because I update the map software.... Nor does a D3 become a D4 because I updated the map... Basically, if I buy a Z2, I would expect it to contain the latest available map software at that selldate anyway !.

Anyway, the point to all of this is that if there realy is a new Z3, I would automatically expect it to have more then just a map update, otherwise it should not be called a Z3...

points well taken... so can we get a pic from the guy that states he has one so we can see the difference?

Sorry for the delay as i was a little busy this weekend. Here are the pictures as requested. The Z3 looks the same as the Z2 as far as i can tell. I will let you know the differences once it is installed this week as i do have the Z2 in my other truck.

P.S. Sorry i did make the pictures as small as i could before they would not have been usefull.

post-10184-12872753960787_thumb.jpg

post-10184-12872753962307_thumb.jpg

post-10184-12872753963582_thumb.jpg

Its a double-din. If your installer can't make it fit in an excursion, you need to find a better installer

Boys, is this a DIN 4 unit or what? I don't suppose they make them in a slide in/out unit?

My installer say it won't fit in my Excursion and I dont really like my Kenwood all that much