AVIC411.com

E39 BMW Install

Gent's,

Some say installing an AVIC Z2 in a BMW (E39) can't be done or it's too hard to do. I am here to dispel the myths and show off my install. I made the faceplate from ABS & a srtip of wood. I hand crafted the ABS with a hack saw and file. I cut the wood out of a simple pine strip. The tricky part was matching the color. I did a web search and found a company that could color match the wood grain with the dipping process. He did an outstanding job. Lastly, I had a local installer install the radio. He did not have to do major air duct modifications or rework the internal organs. His remarks were, it was an easy install just like others. The only real drawback is that the OBC function is only on the dash now. I only can display Range & MPG. The other functions of the OBC, including time, were lost with the removale of the MID headunit. Oh well, I did not use the other stuff anyway!!!! I also installed the Ipod adapter, XM radio & Bluetooth. I did not do the bypass. Next mod is to complete bypass and add two AUX plugs for just in case stuff. All in All, it looks good as and as close to or better than OEM cause this baby has all the bells and whistles... What do you think?

Check out the "slamming" BMW background I created for the Radio & Map function. I also made a slamming OEM splash screen to boot.

BTW, I made two extra faceplates for sale and have the pattern for others to use!!!!

Always remember, Friendship is Essential to the Soul....... :-)

post-11982-12872753549601_thumb.jpg

post-11982-12872753550613_thumb.jpg

post-11982-12872753550804_thumb.jpg

post-11982-12872753551378_thumb.jpg

Many will tell you that a lot of modification needs to be done for the install. Not true. I did not do the actual radio install but I did watch the guy put the radio in. He did not have to make any modification to the air duct or inside the radio compartment. I finished the job by customizing the bezel myself from very simple components. When finished it looked (as the pictures show) like an OEM component. I only know of one guy who makes bezels (faceplates) for the BMW E39, 46, X5 or E36. He sells them (without woodgrain) for 250.00 + Shipping. I was going to buy from him but he was very unresponsive with my prepayment and never delivered the product. I had to threaten him with FTC & Internet Cops backing to get my money back. I would not recommend buying from him as others had the same experience or worse.

I had two extras dipped to match the woodgrain that I will sell. I also made several others, not dipped for sell at a reasonable price. Will explain when you contact me on the how to. I am in Hampton VA.

BTW my radio nav unit is a Pioneer AVIC Z2 with Ipod, Bluetooth & XM + Traffic.

Beautiful install. This may be addressed elsewhere I'm not sure but were you able to use your steering wheel button to trip the mic for voice recognition and what did you use to make that happen, and do you know of an adapter that would allow the use of the OEM bluetooth mic that would work with the Z2.

J-Boogie

Now that I have finished the install, I will explore all the other features like voice recognition. My steering wheel controls do work well as far as radio functions but voice recognition I have not tried yet. I willlet you know!!!

Update,

I ugraded the HDD to a Z3 60GB. I did the bypass as well. I also added a back up camera Everything works outstandingly well.......

r/

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi There!

First of all, I wanted to thank you for showing what a finished install would look like, and great job on the install / customization.

I got couple of questions for you:

I got a 97 BMW 528i.

I am planning to install AVIC-Z3, so, in comparison with AVIC-Z2, is the size / dimensioning is okay?

The mounting bracket (stainless-steel), does it have to be modified to keep the Z3 in place within inside on the dashboard? or can you just use the factory one?

Also, what type of internal modification is to be expected? (e.g. Air Vents)

The reason is, I got a good installer, and I have person who is able to cut custom plastic, in this case, it'll be for our own faceplate. I am planning to remove the wood-trim sliding peice (originally used in place for the tape player.

Thanks!

Please see my PM & let me know if I can help further......

Take your time, be creative & good luck...

Update,

I also modified the start up files with OEM BMW background by removing the Pioneer logos. I also added my own picture BMW files for AV & Map backgrounds.

AVIC Z3:

Ipod

XM

Bluetooth & Voice recognition

Backup camera

Multi CD

Bypassed

Awesome configuraration. I maxed it out!!!

• 2 weeks later...

***IMPORTANT****

While the E39 does not need dash modification, the E46 DOES!

I have just finished an E46 install, and it is NOT an easy task. Here is what I put in, and what I had to do, and what I started with:

What I HAD:

2005 BMW 330CI ZHP

BMW OEM Harmon Kardon GPS Mark IV (widescreen)

WHat I put IN:

AVIC Z3

IPOD adapter Kit

Bluetooth adapter Kit

What I had to DO:

1. Remove trim pieces

2. Remove passenger side A pillar cover (to route the microphone to the slot in the sunroof controls)

3. Remove Driverside kick pannel to run RCA cables to trunk

4. Remove passenger side kick pannel to mount IPOD

5. Remove center console to mount Bluetooth

6. Remove door sill trim to run RCA cables to trunk

7. Remove driver side rear seat C pillar seat post to run RCA cables

8. Remove all trunk trim peices to gain access to BMW AMP

9. Modifiy dashboard

Here is the BIG part! Modifying the dashboard required:

1. Removal of the OEM airbox

2. Removal of the interior damper arms and valves

3. Modify damper arms to angle around new radio

4. modify damper valves to not interfere with radio

5. cut a massive hole in the airbox to accomadate the new radio

Why?

On the BMW E46, the stock radio is shaped like an "L" bending around the airbox (the box that changes the air temperature in the cabin). To fit ANY Double DIN radio, you will need to modify this airbox becasue it is DIRECTLY IN THE WAY of the lower "DIN" of the radio.

I will post pictures next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the bezel & trim myself, total cost 125.00. Much personal time involved. The cost really involved the wood trim dip. I used the company APSIS USA. I provided the wood strip (home made). The speed sensor wire? It is located behind the steering column. It has been so long I can't recall the color. Sorry, I'll heck my Bentley book, good luck. Here is the link to how I completed my home made bezel/trim:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ost3102714

• 1 year later...

When installing your AVIC in your E39, did you have to install the unit at an angle with the back end raised slightly to avoid the airbox. I am assuming that if this is the case the you are using the screen tilting ability of the AVIC to compensate for the installation angle. Additionally, If you still have any extra bezels left, I would be interested in purchasing one from you. Thank you kindly.

Shane